Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Derry
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 776
How much 'pixie dust' is in the FA Limited 43mm 1.9?

Hi i am now on the hunt for another lens to add to my lineup of Sigma 10-20 4-5.6, DA 35mm macro 2.8 limited, Tamron 70-200 2.8 and Lensbaby composer pro. I have a few taks and M 501.7 which i use a lot too as i love their rendering. I am sorry if this yet another repeat thread but i would love someone to clarify if the FA 43mm is really endowed with pixie dust and would say be that much more 'magic' than the DA 35mm macro? I am not a sharpness freak although i do like things to be sharp of course but i prefer things with personality. i'd love the DA 15 f4 but my Sigma is filling the wide angle need for now although i'm dying for it! i like to make things look dreamy at times especially with shots in the woods which i do quite a lot. Is there any other old manual lenses i would be better looking at? Sorry this all sounds quite confused which just shows where my noggin is at with it all. Thanks in advance for any help!

Garbhán.

05-02-2012, 04:14 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 119
QuoteQuote:
How much 'pixie dust' is in the FA Limited 43mm 1.9?
8 grams. It's pretty potent stuff.
05-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
FA77 has 15 grams
05-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Derry
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 776
Original Poster
good to have such precise numerical 'pixie dust' measurements for said lenses... i must invest in a set of pixie dust scales myself one of these fine days!

05-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,035
As these lenses are not weather or dust sealed does the dust leak out over time"

Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express
05-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,290
QuoteOriginally posted by alphanerd Quote
8 grams. It's pretty potent stuff.
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
FA77 has 15 grams
So where does the FA31 "weigh in?"
05-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Derry
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 776
Original Poster
darn good question.. so maybe they end up going from 8 grams to 6 or whatever so buying used could be tricky..gotta put it on the pixie dust scale to check!

I will have to choose my words more sensibly from now on when posing a question it seems..d'oh!
05-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 119
QuoteOriginally posted by captainbert Quote
darn good question.. so maybe they end up going from 8 grams to 6 or whatever so buying used could be tricky..gotta put it on the pixie dust scale to check!

I will have to choose my words more sensibly from now on when posing a question it seems..d'oh!
Or just get better luck with your initial commenters I seem to be in snarky mood today;I hope it's at least been a little entertaining.


As for your actual question, I have no idea -- my only limited is DA15.



I wonder if someone will actually use this as a reference in the future.

05-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Derry
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 776
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alphanerd Quote
Or just get better luck with your initial commenters I seem to be in snarky mood today;I hope it's at least been a little entertaining.


As for your actual question, I have no idea -- my only limited is DA15.



I wonder if someone will actually use this as a reference in the future.
Ha ha No i thoroughly enjoyed upon realizing the nonsensical gibberish phrasing of the initial question when the first answer was posted! Cheers anywho
05-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Chaos_Realm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,251
QuoteOriginally posted by alphanerd Quote
8 grams. It's pretty potent stuff.
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
FA77 has 15 grams
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
So where does the FA31 "weigh in?"
I think the FA 31 has 15g as well, in recent batches at least.

Apparently the older batches of these lenses have about 20% more than the ones currently produced
05-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Bob from Aus's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,085
So smarties, how much pixie dust does the 35mm macro Ltd have compared to the three FAs mentioned.
05-02-2012, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,720
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
I think the FA 31 has 15g as well, in recent batches at least.
The pixie dust in the 31 has been cut with baby powder. The 77 uses the pure stuff, so the effect is better.

Get the 43 captainbert. You shouldn't get into the hard stuff straight away.
05-02-2012, 06:31 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
I tore a calf muscle a few days ago, I had an idea though, I wrapped my FA31 up in a towel and held it against my leg for 10 minutes last night. When I woke up this morning my leg was healed!
05-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Derry
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 776
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The pixie dust in the 31 has been cut with baby powder. The 77 uses the pure stuff, so the effect is better.

Get the 43 captainbert. You shouldn't get into the hard stuff straight away.
I think that sounds like the way forward... i think since ive started this thread ive been inundated with wee scootie paparazzi pixies running round my noggin all fired up o the latest pixie dust scandal...
05-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
As these lenses are not weather or dust sealed does the dust leak out over time"

Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express
Not a problem for my DA*55, that has alot of the pixie dust and its sealed up tighly!

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I tore a calf muscle a few days ago, I had an idea though, I wrapped my FA31 up in a towel and held it against my leg for 10 minutes last night. When I woke up this morning my leg was healed!
lol!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
43mm, da, dust, fa, k-mount, lot, love, macro, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Official Pentax Forums "Pixie Dust" Lens List Winnie Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 40 10-24-2016 03:52 AM
The Pixie Dust Lens Club selar Lens Clubs 45 11-30-2014 01:26 PM
No pixie dust but it works wildman Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 09-25-2011 09:26 PM
Pixie Dust yusuf Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 529 06-03-2011 10:10 PM
Rendering and Pixie Dust GlennG Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 65 02-06-2011 02:21 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top