Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is there any way to adapt a rear PK mount to filter threads?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The reason I ask this weird question is that I want to use my ring flash unit on the front of a reversed lens. I know I can cobble something together, but I'd like something more elegant if possible.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

05-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a set of bellows with a female PK adapter, something like that might be adaptable. Or a good solid rear lens cap.
05-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some cheap extension tubes have k-mount adapters on top and bottom and the individual sections thread together. Not sure what thread they use but you might be able to use the female k-mount to attach to the lens and then step-up or step-down rings to match the thread of your ring flash.

I think I have one in the toy box, not sure. I'll check after work.
05-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Some cheap extension tubes have k-mount adapters on top and bottom and the individual sections thread together. Not sure what thread they use but you might be able to use the female k-mount to attach to the lens and then step-up or step-down rings to match the thread of your ring flash.
Hmmmm... Might do the trick if I can find just that part. Otherwise, I can probably just kludge together something out of a cut-out rear cap and a filter adapter epoxied on.

05-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, I just checked and both mine are full k-mount all the way through. But here is a link to what I was thinking of. It has a female k-mount and a male k-mount with several sections in between that are threaded together. All you need is the female k-mount section and a step ring to whatever your ring flash is.

I was sure I had one of these around somewhere but I can't find it, maybe I sold it on.
05-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, Gibby
Here is my AF080C mounted out to the side. And it makes a mighty good general fill flash in TTL mode on the ist ds.
https://www.box.com/s/afeb02665731a33c79c3
I machined a post threaded for a 1/4 inch standard tripod bolt, and flats on top for the AF080C M3 auxiliary mounting screw.
I have been intending to make a flash grip that protrudes directly forward with same method for macro, to point a lens through the hole.
The Pentax K mount will not fit through the 49mm thread of the AF080C, but the SMC Pentax-M 1:4 100mm macro might work if the mount is butted up to the flash hole.
I did a test shot on another thread in Macro just with the ring flash out to the side as in the above photo link:
https://www.box.com/s/02a1db89273d92d6a6c2
05-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The ultra-cheap PK macro tubes I've bought many sets of have threads around 60mm. One way to add a ringflash is with a Raynox 'universal' snap-on adapter, which can fit onto threads from 52-67mm. The front thread of the Raynox adapter is 43mm. So if the ringflash is maybe 55mm, you'd need a setup like this:
camera --> PK-mount-reverser --> reversed lens --> macro-tube mount section --> Raynox adapter --> 43-55mm step-ring --> ringflash

05-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Pentax adapter called a 'Reverse Ring light Adapter' or 'Reverse Ring light Holder' don't remember exactly, I'll have to dig it out. I've had it for years and I don't know when it was discontinued, but I have seen them show up on KEH's website occasionally. Essentially it attaches to the K mount side of a reversed lens and has 49mm threads on the other side to attach filers and of course a ring light to.
05-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
I have a Pentax adapter called a 'Reverse Ring light Adapter' or 'Reverse Ring light Holder' don't remember exactly, I'll have to dig it out. I've had it for years and I don't know when it was discontinued, but I have seen them show up on KEH's website occasionally. Essentially it attaches to the K mount side of a reversed lens and has 49mm threads on the other side to attach filers and of course a ring light to.
That is exactly the thing I need. I'll look for it. Thanks!
05-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #10

I just got my 60mm-62mm step up ring and one of the inexpensive sets of extension tubes discussed above. The 60mm screws onto the female adapter beautifully, works perfectly for attaching my ring flash to the reversed lense. Neat, and only cost me $10.