Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Yes, but you see, I still strongly believe that all your pictures were taken wide open, and here's why: there isn't a single exposure taken at less than 1/640. In fact, you have 3 exposures at 1/2000th of a second, 3 at 1/4000, 2 at 1/6400, one at 1/1600 and one at 1/8000. If I were you, I'd close the aperture all the way, and then take a picture so I can actually if the aperture is closing or not.
By the way, M42 mean screw mount, you screw the lens to keep it fixed. Pentax K is a bayonet mount - you only twist it about 60 degrees and it is locked.
OK fair enough. I will take a few pictures right now in manual mode at 1/25 or 1/50 depending on how the exposure is, at ISO 100, with the ring completely closed down. Thanks for the explanation of the M42. With that understanding mine is definatly the K bayonet mount. BTW, I have taken a few peoples suggestion of trying to meter in green mode, but unless I am doing something incorrect, it cannot happen because when switched to green mode, the camera goes into Av mode with auto exposure and there is no way to overide it and the LCD shows nothing for shutter speed, and the aperture says F - - and nothing can be altered. I should also mention something that I realized I neglected so far, that like anytime you attach a manual lens, it asks you to enter the focal length, which I enter as 15mm (lens being 16mm) because it is closer than the next option of 18mm.

I am sorry if I am frustrating everyone, I am trying everyones suggestions and I really do appreciate the help.

05-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
NOT GREEN MODE, green button. MANUAL mode.
Enter manual mode and press green button. If you don't hear a sound, go to menu, green button and set it for Tv shift in M mode. I see you want me to explain the aperture communication thing too. Basically, the K mount historically had an additional lever which detected the aperture set on the lens' ring. Later, when A-type electrical contacts appeared, that lever became redundant, so they finally removed it in the later film SLRs and on today's DSLRs. But you can still use the older lenses [or new, as this one, which has the plain, old K mount] in stop-down metering. This is exactly what you have to do: select the aperture, press the green button, watch the aperture close, the camera takes an exposure reading, adjusts the shutter speed, and then you can take a picture at the desired aperture.

Last edited by kcobain1992; 05-04-2012 at 03:43 PM.
05-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #18

Original Poster
OK, I did as you asked and took 6 pictures, 3 different scenes alternating shutter from 1/25 - 1/50. ISO 200. Here is the link:
****NEW**** Fisheye pics - a set on Flickr
05-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sent you a PM.

05-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with everyone here about what you're doing incorrectly.
It looks like you're in Florida.
If you're near Orlando, I can show you on my K5/Zenitar.

05-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BTW...I concur with the earlier post regarding the example photos...they all look like the lens is doing a really great job. It there is noise in the shadows, that is a sensor artifact. Turn down the ISO and life will be better. Lenses do not cause noise. As for the CA...what you have posted is pretty mild and characteristic of ALL ultra-wide angle lenses. (Give the DA 15/4 Limited a test run and see how it does. Fantastic lens, but very prone to those bothersome blue borders.) Shoot in RAW and do the CA correction in software. BTW, the Zen will also throw a fair amount of PF (Purple Fringing) under some conditions. If it bothers you, switch to film

Steve
05-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #22

It is expensive for what it is (in my opinion) but as an owner of the Zenitar, I can say it looks to be real deal:

Zenitar 2.8/16 FISH-EYE UV Ultra Violet lens Filter 26,5mm NEW | eBay

Good luck!
05-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #23

Looks like you have the UV Filter

As others have said, the Zenitar comes from the factory with four filters, the UV being factory-installed. Since we pretty much all use digital, almost no-one will ever remove the UV filter. It will not focus properly without the UV filter and your focus looks fine, so I would say it looks like you have the UV filter.

Mike

05-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
As others have said, the Zenitar comes from the factory with four filters, the UV being factory-installed. Since we pretty much all use digital, almost no-one will ever remove the UV filter. It will not focus properly without the UV filter and your focus looks fine, so I would say it looks like you have the UV filter.

Mike
Oh, so wait, the UV filter is factory installed, and it is just the 3 color filters that can be interchanged? I could not care less that I don't have the color filters.... is there anyway for me to find out for sure if I have the UV filter installed? Zenit got back to me and said I can order the filters, however aside from the price of about $100 and the shipping to the US that they said would be over $60 (and take over a month) does not make sense since I picked the lens up for $150 and I could just get a new one for $250. I need to somehow find out though because being that is a used lens, I think B&H only gives me a few days to return it....

If it helps at all I just took 3 pictures of the back of the lens, the one from the side you can see that surrounding the actual glass opening in the middle, there is a black ring that is raised and has grip notches (the type that would make something easier to turn, however turning it doesnt seem to move it and I don't want to try harder out of risk of damaging it). can that possible it?

UV filter test - a set on Flickr
05-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cott789 Quote
is there anyway for me to find out for sure if I have the UV filter installed?
Looking at your photos, it looks like your filter is exactly where it is supposed to be. The rear-mount filter looks like it might be the rear element except that it has a some labeling ("C" for clear and "M26.5x0.5" indicating diameter and thread pitch) and is knurled on the edge as a grip to unscrew it. The real rear element is behind the filter. Since you don't have the other filters, don't worry about being able to remove the clear one.

Now that all of the issues are cleared up, get out there and enjoy your lens!

Steve