Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar 28mm M11 mounting question (not the one you think).

Hey all,
I recently picked up a Vivitar 28mm f/2 in M42 (M11). I modified the flange as many have suggested, but I still have a mounting issue. When the lens screws in to the point where it seems to be about a half turn short of all the way on (the aperture ring is upside down), something is getting caught on the pin that is depressed when the lens unlock button is depressed. If you hold down the lens unlock button, it will screw on all the way. I think this probably means the pin is being depressed by the lens the whole time it is on. Is there any concern that this could screw up the lens lock mechanism long term( maybe i'll have enough money for k-mount lenses someday). Has anyone else experienced this with this lens?

Also, I feel obligated to point out that I got both this lens and the s-m-c Tak 135mm f/2.5 (ver. 1) for a total of $40 at a local store.

05-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rocnal Quote
...something is getting caught on the pin that is depressed when the lens unlock button is depressed...
I have several lenses that have screw holes on the flange face that tend to get caught up in the release pin and/or the AF drive. It is a good practice to retract the AF drive pawl and depress the release pin when mounting/removing your M42 lenses. Oh, and one other thing...screw the adapter to the lens and mount the combo to the camera.

Steve

P.S. Some of the Super Takumars, FSU, and German M42 lenses have very small diameter lens barrels. These may not properly clear the AF drive (not wide enough to depress it) and can actually damage it. Again, always flip the AF switch to MF.