Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax 18-55 lens won't mount - It used to..just stopped

I figure it was my carelessness that caused this problem, but I am not sure what is going on. The lens worked great on my K10 for many years. Then the other day I switched lenses and put the 18-55 in my camera bag without the top/bottom covers (which I have done before for short term pix taking). Then when I pulled the 18-55 out and set it into the camera to turn to mount it, it wouldn't turn to mount. It seems to fit fine but won't turn. It was not dropped.

I know there is a screw that seems to be sticking up in the "track well" of the lens, but not sure it that is it.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks-

05-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the aperture lever bent slightly on the lens? Can you compare how it looks to another lens that does work?

I don't like to ask this but the lens is in the right position? Dots aligned on the lens mount & lens?
05-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes it is. The red dots align and it sits down into the camera like it is ready to mount.

Yes the aperture lever seems straight.

Last edited by tfbrenizer; 05-05-2012 at 07:54 PM.
05-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi

I have a lens that only mounts if the camera is switched to AF, if it is set to MF the lens won't turn ?
It only happens on the K10 and not my K100 or KX.
Check that out.
I never figured it out, everything looks fine and even pressing the release button that also retracts the Af pin it still won't mount.

05-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. Just tried that...doesn't change things. Still won't turn.
Is there supposed to be a "screw" sticking up in the "track well" -- I know those are not proper terms, but that is the only thing that may be out of the norm...? I have tried to move it, but don't want to bend anything, and it doesn't seem loose. So it may belong.
05-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some pictures say more than a 1000 words

Maybe you can post some (resized) ones to show what you're talking about?
05-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Some pictures say more than a 1000 words

Maybe you can post some (resized) ones to show what you're talking about?
Good idea.

To the OP, make sure your photo shows the 'raised screw' in detail.

I just checked my 18-55WR and there are no raised screws anywhere that I can see. The entire 'track well' or 'groove' is smooth with all screws in that area being flush to the surface.
05-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know it doesn't help, but threads like this crack me up.

We are talking about the DA18-55 and K10D.

Aside from the lens mount screws (on the lens) and the screws on the body - the only thing that sticks up/down is the AF drive and the lens release pin -which sit on the body. The electrical contacts are not designed to offer any resistance. That's it. Nothing else on a K-mount should prevent the lens from rotating provided the red dots align and you seat the lens before you start turning it.

This thread reminds me of the call to technical support about the "cup holder" that turned out to be a CD-ROM drive.

If something else comes up, I will be the first to apologize.

05-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pictures

The first pix shows the screw that is sticking up. It is flush with the grove...but sticks up in the well.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
05-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tfbrenizer Quote
The first pix shows the screw that is sticking up. It is flush with the grove...but sticks up in the well.
Everything looks fine. Nothing wrong there. What you are seeing, is something that is not used on "Crippled" KaF mounts. That little detent/pin is what the aperture uses/used to communicated back to the camera. In older lenses/bodies, moving the aperture ring would cause that detent/pin to move, and that would tell the camera what F/stop you were at.

On Pentax Digital cameras it is not used...and I'm not sure *why* it exists on DA lenses?
05-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Here is an image from an older Pentax body that used the old method of communication with the body and lens.

In the image below, the little lever is missing in "crippled" Kaf bodies -as in all Pentax Digital bodies.

Here you can see the position of the detent/pin when a lens is in "A" mode

Here you can see the position of the detent/pin when a lens has an aperture ring that can be moved.

The K10D

Last edited by LaurenOE; 05-06-2012 at 01:11 PM.
05-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Warped?

Thank you. I think what is most baffling is i have used this lens and others for years and it just stopped mounting. Deducing that it is not the pin, I took another look. For some reason the metal looks warped. But, why would that happen within a 10 minute time frame of taking of a telephoto and putting this standard lens back on....If that is it, which it may be, is there a way to fix or replace the metal ring? Any thoughts are helpful. OR is this a manufacturers defect that finally showed up after 10 years?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
05-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Holy CRAP!!!!

I see I owe you an apology!!!

Sounds to me like something happened to your lens and you didn't know!!!

Last edited by LaurenOE; 05-06-2012 at 01:16 PM.
05-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Site Supporter

The only thing I can think of, is the use of the telephoto warped the body mount, and the body mount warped the lens. Or something like that. I would go and check the body of the K10 and check the telephoto lens and see if anything else is warped.

Wow.
05-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Guess that's it. Thanks! Not sure how if happened. I can buy one on the used market for $100, but if anyone knows where I can buy parts, would appreciate the link.

Thanks again!