Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA 77mm backfocus Issue.

OK so I have been "putting up with" my FA 77 ltd being a bit soft wide open, I didn't expect it to be perfect. But I finally bit the bullet and got a Lens calibration system as I had been getting mixed results with print off ones.
So first I will start by showing the typical results I have been getting with 0 focus adjustment on my k-7. So yeh here is a crop of a shot I took a while ago, which is pretty typical when I shoot wide open. And followed by a crop of the lens calibration results with a +10 focus adjustment. As you can see is still back focusing quite significantly. My other lenses are fine (within the cameras AF adjustment range).

This brings me to the question of what can I do to fix it? I shoot this lens wide open most of the time and need to rely on it being accurate.
I have looked into the option of getting into the debug menu and altering the default AF adjustment, but the guy that was giving people the gateway to this seems to have packed up shop after v1.03 firmware update. I don't particularly wish to go back to v1.02 (SDXC support is required)

I have also considered the option of sending my k-7 and lens back to CRKennedy with my a couple of lenses.

Is there anything else that I have yet to consider?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
05-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't modset.474 works with 1.03?
05-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would just return and get another 77 that works with your camera. Or you can always sell and get another, if past exchange period. My 77 is sharp wide open. I also don't believe you can roll back the updates.
05-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
I would just return and get another 77 that works with your camera. Or you can always sell and get another, if past exchange period. My 77 is sharp wide open. I also don't believe you can roll back the updates.
Unfortunately had the lens for over a year (and bought it second hand). I started off thinking that it was just me lacking skill when it came to fast lenses. I then tried testing with the print out alignment systems and had inconclusive results after a 6 months. (I gave up thinking I'll just need to get it right once I get a decent alignment kit.. and well you know the rest of the story.

I don't want to sell this particular lens I would rather send it (and the camera) to get it adjusted by CRKennedy.
Has anyone done this? How long and how much should I be expecting it to cost me?

I was just hoping that there is something that can be done before it gets to that stage.

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Doesn't modset.474 works with 1.03?
As for this I think from general reading it might be possible but I need to be running V1.11 (preferably v1.12) to use SDXC cards. There is no real evidence of it working beyond 1.03 so I am not sure about that method.

05-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
As for this I think from general reading it might be possible but I need to be running V1.11 (preferably v1.12) to use SDXC cards. There is no real evidence of it working beyond 1.03 so I am not sure about that method.
Why don't you try it with whatever firmware version you are using, shouldn't take more than a few minutes to test, there is no side effect so nothing to lose.
05-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Why don't you try it with whatever firmware version you are using, shouldn't take more than a few minutes to test, there is no side effect so nothing to lose.
I wasn't overly game on trying this as I had no idea on how it could screw stuff up lol.

I gave It a shot On K-7 firmware V1.12, You need to have the card cover flap thingy open when you turn it on. But I managed to get it sorted.

I am just going to have to wait and see to get my other lenses on to test if it royally screwed their settings :S (Unless it will only adjust for attached lens... but I am assuming not)
05-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
I don't want to sell this particular lens I would rather send it (and the camera) to get it adjusted by CRKennedy.
Took about a month for my DA*16-50/K10D
05-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Took about a month for my DA*16-50/K10D
Did they have to send it back to Vietnam for dis-assembly then on to japan to test and fix components, then return to Vietnam for re-assembly? LOL

05-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Send it to Pentax with the body to get it calibrated.

http://jarek.smugmug.com