Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

IQ comparrison: Sigma 10-20 vs Zenitar Fish

has anyone had/has BOTH of these lenses and can give an opinion?

My friend has the sigma on his Canon 30D, and i have the Zenitar on my K100D, so comparing glass on two vastly different bodies is a little hard.

i am wishing to purchase the Sigma, but would like to know if i should expect anything better than the zenitar?

01-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know about the Sigma, but I do know that the Pentax 10-17 is a better lens than the Zenitar. But then again it costs almost 3X the price of the Zenitar. The Zenitar is a great little lens, but it's very soft wide open, it doesn't really become useable till about 3.4 or so and doesn't come into its prime till 5.6 to 8.0. Its also very prone to PF and flare. But then again it is quite inexpensive (or used to be) and it gives "great bang for the buck"

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O
01-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes well i know all about the zenitar as i have been using it for a month now extensively, and ive grown to love it very much.

however all i want is an even wider field of view,

and while the pentax fisheye is another option, its fisheye effect is too pronounced for my tastes, which is why i'm leaning towards the sigma.
01-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #4

The are both great - But the Sigma 10-20 is great

I have owned both, the Zenitar has it's place, a fun lens and great value, but the Sigma 10-20 EX is IMHO a near perfect city lens, I have even used it for large group shots when space was limited.

This image is an uncropped shot inside St Pauls Cathedral in Melbourne. Hand held, low light, fully open at F4 and minimal PP to get the lighting right, and a tad of sharpening. Shot at 800iso, 1/15 sec and F4 with the K10D.

I was with my son, he has a Nikon D70s and his shots were mostly unusable because of low light, no tripod and no SR. And he did not have a 10-20 to boot.

Phil

01-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Cool shot, very neat place. It really shows off what you can you do with a really wide, wide angle lens.
01-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Oh, dear ....

Just as I was congratulating myself for my manly self-discipline in deferring the purchase of this lens ...

I've taken a few holidays is SE England, particularly around London, and churches have been my bete noir. Of course, this was with a P&S.

We must soldier on, though, thanks for the shot!
01-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Crescent City Quote
Cool shot, very neat place. It really shows off what you can you do with a really wide, wide angle lens.
Thanks for the comment. This is about as wide as I like. Fisheye is a bit too much, and being a rectalinear lens, you can tilt it to get less perspective distortion. Is always with me, never leave home without it.

Phil
01-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Just as I was congratulating myself for my manly self-discipline in deferring the purchase of this lens ...

I've taken a few holidays is SE England, particularly around London, and churches have been my bete noir. Of course, this was with a P&S.

We must soldier on, though, thanks for the shot!
Go for it, you know you want it.. LBA.. oops sorry

It is a winner, I give this lens a lot of use... very good value

Phil

01-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That'a some shot matix, really rich and sharp great comp' too,.....I've been mentally ping-ponging on this for s few weks now and committed to buying it next week......adorama has it for 489., and 17 photo for 369. never dealt w/17 before , but have adorama and been well treated by them.....guess i'll know who gets my $ next week.......
01-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by gpaual Quote
That'a some shot matix, really rich and sharp great comp' too,.....I've been mentally ping-ponging on this for s few weks now and committed to buying it next week......adorama has it for 489., and 17 photo for 369. never dealt w/17 before , but have adorama and been well treated by them.....guess i'll know who gets my $ next week.......
Thanks gpaual, it is a great structure, and the layered sandstone is beautiful to see, nice to be able to show it off. The Sigma 10-20 EX and K10D did real good on this one, tough place to shoot as the use of flash or tripods is not cool, the hardware did most of the work I feel.

Phil
01-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

From what I had seen, sigma 10-20 is in deed a great zoom to own. It particularly handles harsh lighting well, strong UV filtering and brings out the colour well on k10d.

At one stage, I wish I use my friend's sigma zoom on my body to get the perspective and the colour!
01-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The one big difference people forgot to mention is that the Sigma is rectlinear corrected. It looks weird for some natural subjects, but is much better for architectural, interiors and landscape work. I don't know about the Zenith, but the 10-20 is as sharp as all the pentax lens I own.

Also, because of the fisheye effect, the FOV on the Zenith should be larger.