Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DA*200mm Question

I purchased the Pentax DA* 200mm in December last year, brand new. Have used it with my K-r and K5; it works beautifully on both bodies, however, it will not auto-focus at all with my K20D, which by the way, works very well with my DA*55mm and DA*300mm. Am quite familiar with all the custom options, etc. and firmware for all my cameras is up to date, too I am at a loss as to why this lens won't work with the K20D. Has anyone else experienced this?

05-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It definitely should work, so that's weird! Is both the lens and camera set to AF?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi, Adam: Yes, both lens and camera set to Auto Focus. I am baffled............if I switch to manual focus on both lens and camera, focus on something, then switch to AF on both lens and camera, the lens will focus to infinity and just hang up there.
05-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree that it should work normally.
My K20d will occasionally act up with my only auto focus lens in the way you describe, actually often enough that its rather irritating and kept me from further AF lenses. Usually just hitting the half press a few times sorts it out when it finally reassesses the situation correctly. Try using different focus points maybe that will change something, could be having trouble identifying objects. Maybe there's just something about the light through that lens that gives the programming fits. Be nice to see if someone else has the same setup working correctly.

05-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A quick thought. The DA*200m use HSM and may require more power than other non-HSM lenses. Is your K20D battery fully charged? Does it have full power? Just a thought... hoping that it may help.
05-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
Update. I called Pentax and explained the concern. All that could be offered--and the best under the circumstances-- was to send lens and camera in, which I have been considering, but got busy with my life and finally had a little time this morning to re-visit the issue before shipping. Again went through all the motions (and considering the kind advice from those who commented--thanks by the way) with K-r, k5, and K20D with DA*55mm, DA*300mm, and the DA*300mm and came to same conclusion: All 3 lenses work in a marvelous fashion with the K-r and K5 plus the 55 and 300 work fine with the K20D, however the DA*200mm just won't auto-focus with the K20D. I then meticulously cleaned all electronic contacts, K20D and DA*200mm both, still did not work. I then mounted a couple of new acquisitions of manual focus Pentax legacy lenses on the K20D just to test 'em and give the autofocus thing a rest and went back to the DA*200mm thing. What do you know, the K20D and DA*200mm finally introduced themselves to each other and autofocus together in a world class way. I absolutely do not understand what was or was not happening. Happy ending, I hope. The camera and lens are going to the baseball game with me tonight for a workout.