Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Questions about old lenses

Hello Folks,

A few days ago I ordered a Pentax K-5 kit with the DA 18-55 WR lens (which I'm given to understand is a good lens). My interests are outdoor and nature photography, including close-ups of plants and small animals.

I have two lenses that I bought for my K1000 a couple of decades ago. One of them I've tried to look up on the Web, and found several with the same description, but a different appearance. The other I know even less about. I wonder if you can tell me if the lenses are pretty good, or if I should plan to buy new ones. They are:

1. Sigma UC ZOOM 70-210MM 1:4-5.6
2. Vivitar 100mm 1:3.5 MC MACRO

Both are autofocus lenses, but do not have any internal electronics of which I am aware.

Thanks, Tom

05-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's some info on the Sigma:
Sigma 70-210mm F4-5.6 UC Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

It's AF and will work just like a SMC Pentax-FA lens:
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

And I believe your vivitar is the sample lens as this:
Promaster 100mm 1:3.5 MC Macro (Spectrum 7) Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

It says the above is actually manual focus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have heard the macro lens was actually is made in autofocus also. Good luck, that 100 should be pretty good!
05-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tatume Quote
I wonder if you can tell me if the lenses are pretty good, or if I should plan to buy new ones.
Shoot them. See if you like them. If they don't suit you, THEN you can plan for further accumulations of glass. My kit-building priorities:

1) Coverage -- my Tamron 10-24, DA18-250, and Lil'Bigma 170-500 cover a lot.
2) Speed -- my FA50/1.4, and manual f/2 primes at 24-38-35-58-85mm, do it.
3) Specialty -- my DA10-17 fisheye, and macros and mirrors, fill special needs.
4) Character -- cheap old slow lenses just render differently than newer glass.
5) Mania -- enlarger-projector-copy-etc lenses, anything I can put on the camera!

Before spending serious money on something, I ask myself: What do I want to do that I can't do with what I already have? Then I go and buy a bunch of cheap lenses, but that's another story...