Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #1

New lens. what to choose?

So i'm currently looking form a New lens for this summer
I'm thinking about the Sigma ex 70mm 1.1 makro.
But i'm unsure atm. I have around 400-500 to spend.
I like to Photo Most things but i love taking pictures of flowers
Any suggestion is welcome

05-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter

From what I heard the Sigma seems to be a good choice. When I was in a similar position a few years ago (decided I needed something more than the kit and looking after macro options) I got the DA 35 Limited Macro and I never regreted it!

Since then I got quite a nice collection of used and new lenses and the DA 35 does not currently get much use but as a starting point it was exactly what I needed. As a macro lens the DA 35 produces excelent pictures, with the short working distance being the only drawback, something wich is usually not a problem when shooting flowers.

The main reason for me to go for the 35 instead of a longer lens was that I could also use it as a walkaround "normal" lens, something similar to the 50mm
prime I started with years and years ago. The DA 35 was everything I had hoped for.

As I said, I currently use other lenses (DFA 100 Macro for example) more then the 35, but still nothing beats the convinience of a normal/macro lens that fits a coat pocket when I'm traveling lightly.

So the question to me it seems, the question is what else you want to do with your new lens? If you want it to use it for portraits, the 70mm might be the better choice, if you are looking for an excellent normal lens I'd recommend the DA 35.
05-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
I Do have the DA 35mm "
Not macro"

So i would say i have a lens if i want to take other photos + 1 55-300 lens
05-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You need to decide on your priorities.
If edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness isn't critical, a Raynox on a long zoom would be fine.
For general photography plus macro/closeup work, any AF macro lens will be fine.
For specializing in macro/closeup work, most manual macro lenses will be fine.
For very cheap macro work, enlarger lenses on extension are just fine.
See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html

05-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
400-500 is alot money for lenses, if you can go for manual focus.
Most of mine have a price tag of 25-50, and many beated up lenses for free but optical and mechanical perfect.