Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Problems at 12mm...

I'm hoping that someone can steer me in the right direction to a solution to this here.

I have some funny shadow / "vignetting" shadows on the edges of my pictures which are likely caused by the lens hood... Here are a few pics that show the problem

I've tried taking pics with and without UV filter, with and without lens hood and the one constant is the lens hood when this happens. I looked carefully at the lens hood and it doesn't visually look like there's a problem.

It only happens at 12mm. What is the likely problem and what can i do about this?

05-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What len please ?
05-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
looks like the hood to me. I don't have anything quite that wide 14 is my widest. is this a sigma or a pentax 12-24 ?
Is it the original hood?
if it's an aftermarket hood that screws in that is the issue.
first one is suffering a lot of flare as well
If it's the original hood is it clicked all the way into place? It looks like the hood is off center a bit and at 12mm it's easy to cause a problem
05-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
Its a DA 12-24, guys. Sorry i didn't mention it earlier. And yes it's the original hood...or so i reckon when i bought it 2nd hand. Can there be another Pentax hood that looks similar (and it does look like the one i see in other pics) and fits the DA 12-24?

The thing is all my pics during my stint in Europe had the problem. There could be times that the hood could possibly be not properly attached but certainly not all the time as i used it quite abit over a week. I also tend to be careful about how it's attached. I also tried it at home just now after i discovered the problem and made sure the hood clicked in. The hood seems to be the culprit unless something had "moved" inside the lens...

05-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As mentioned, we need more information.
What lens? What hood? What camera?
Without this data, we can't much help.
05-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If the hood isn't properly mounted and/or damaged, it can cause dark corners like that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
I made sure the hood is properly mounted when i noticed the problem and took test shots just. I also inspected the hood and, visually, i do not see a problem with it. No apparent bends (especially inward) in the hood...

To Rio Rico, its a DA 12-24, bought 2nd hand, mounted on a K-5 and used with a rodenstock UV filter when i took those shots. Removing the filter did not make it go away when i tested it just now.

Last edited by GSiGuy; 05-07-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: to add reply to other forumer.
05-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Well, it must be the hood -- should be easy enough to tell in live view on a K-5. Are you absolutely sure you understand how the hood locks in? The big petals should be on the top on and bottom with the short petals on the sides (when held in landscape orientation). I notice you're getting the shadows on the sides -- do you have the hood in the opposite position?

05-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Well, it must be the hood -- should be easy enough to tell in live view on a K-5. Are you absolutely sure you understand how the hood locks in? The big petals should be on the top on and bottom with the short petals on the sides (when held in landscape orientation). I notice you're getting the shadows on the sides -- do you have the hood in the opposite position?
and if you don't have the issue without the hood then it's defacto the hood. Either it is mounted wrong as pointed out, or it is not mounting correctly. If you had issues without the hood then it would be a much bigger issue. If need be replacing the hood is not wildly expensive.
05-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #10

Original Poster
I am absolutely sure i hvn put it on wronglyt. I always make sure that the Pentax logo goes on the top. I'm anal like that ...

The plastics of the hood look hardy enough. I've been switching between this lens and a 24-70 very frequently on the fly, via a domke F-2 bag and sometimes, the lenses are in abit of a squeeze when i'm in a rush. And like i said before, visually, the hood looks normal. I also doubt it was damaged or bent because of that, cos i've just noticed it was there from the earliest pics i've taken...

Last edited by GSiGuy; 05-07-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling!
05-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GSiGuy Quote
I am absolutely sure i hvn put it on wronglyt. I always make sure that the Pentax logo goes on the top. I'm anal like that ...
Ok, good. I guess, cause that would have been an easy solution! Anyway, I had that lens for a little while -- it isn't normal to have those shadows I can tell you that. The whole lens may be slightly off -- any focus problems? Is minimum focus distance farther than it should be? (Might be hard to tell since you can stick that lens within an inch or two of a subject.)
05-07-2012, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, good. I guess, cause that would have been an easy solution! Anyway, I had that lens for a little while -- it isn't normal to have those shadows I can tell you that. The whole lens may be slightly off -- any focus problems? Is minimum focus distance farther than it should be? (Might be hard to tell since you can stick that lens within an inch or two of a subject.)
that is the next place i was headed misalignment (usually this is caused by a knock against the front) much more problematic as it will need service to resolve

Edit: it is possible the DA 14 hood fits, and it could feasibly cause the issue at 12mm
the DA 14 is a PHRBH77
The 12-24 is a PH RBI 77
05-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #13

Original Poster
I really can't tell if it's a focus issue. I do have a local agent here and its time i checked if the lens is in warranty. I think even if it is not then i may have no choice but to ask them to send it to Japan to find out what the pblm is...

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that is the next place i was headed misalignment (usually this is caused by a knock against the front) much more problematic as it will need service to resolve

Edit: it is possible the DA 14 hood fits, and it could feasibly cause the issue at 12mm
the DA 14 is a PHRBH77
The 12-24 is a PH RBI 77
My lens hood reads "PH-RBJ 77mm"...
05-07-2012, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GSiGuy Quote
I really can't tell if it's a focus issue. I do have a local agent here and its time i checked if the lens is in warranty. I think if it is not then i may have no choice but to ask them to send it to Japan to find out what the pblm is...

My lens hood reads "PH-RBJ 77mm"...

that is a replacement hood for the DA* 16-50 according to BH photo so that is the issue right there

Pentax PH-RBJ 77mm Lens Hood for SCMP-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED 38753

this is the hood you need

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/408339-REG/Pentax_38745_PH_RBI77_Lens_Hood.html

You mention you bought this used, the original owner likely then has a 16-50 being used with too small a hood
05-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks! Have contacted owner and hoping his DA*16-50 is still around...