Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Have you bought a *new* Pentax lens in the US since the April 1st price increase?
Yes, I bought one or more new DA/DFA lenses 116.96%
Yes, I bought new FA lenses only 53.16%
No, I bought new third-party lenses instead 106.33%
No, I decided not to buy any new lenses because of the higher prices 6339.87%
No, I was not planning on buying any new lenses this month to begin with 6943.67%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I was going to purchase new lenses - the DFA 100mm 2.8 macro and the DA 35mm 2.8 macro ltd. I decided that I needed more prime lenses for wedding shooting this year. The DA 35 was to be my only DA purchase and I was planning to switch to FA in hopes of full frame, but I potentially saw myself investing in another lens or two before the year ended for a total of three or four new lenses. Instead, I went to the marketplace and purchased used.

The marketplace has adjusted a little higher since the price hike, but they are still cheaper than the new lenses. I really doubt that I will purchase anything new this year unless the structure reverts back or they release a really good rebate program.

I always shot Pentax and I decided to stay with them when I started my business. I did consider switching to Nikon, but the affordable Pentax prices helped to keep me brand loyal. TO continue with Pentax after this price change I want to see advancements that rival the other lines that charge this much for their gear. Sure I would like full-frame, but I love my K5 so I can accept another crop sensor, but it better be AMAZING. At Photokina they better have a camera that just blows my mind. I am willing to pay more for my gear - I would pay more if I make the switch to Nikon - but I want to see something for the extra I am paying. Once Pentax steps up and shows me some new tech then I'll step up and open my wallet. Until then it is used gear and third party for me...

05-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had 3 lenses in mind to purchase over the course of the year - DA21, DA70, Tamron 70-200. Now, I've put a moratorium on new lens acquisitions (unless I come across something crazy cheap) until after the summer, when I'll re-assess whether or not I want to stay with Pentax. However, if I absolutely need a lens for a project, I'll buy.
05-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'm in a holding pattern now until Photokina.
......and that is when - Sept? My strategy as well. Consistent with another poster, I'll evaluate in the fall whether to continue with Pentax (which I really like, currently). I want to see the next body lineup and features, and see if any of these prophesied lens "rebates" will actually materialize. Others have suggested we are in the full Ricoh changeover now, so things appear a bit slow in the Pentax camp, but we'll like what emerges out the other end. As far as I'm concerned, there is a LOT of ambiguity and uncertainty about what comes next. My current forecast is that the fall of this year (Black Friday?) will be buying time for me.
05-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #34

Voted NO. Waiting for the DA 50 1.8 to be released (hopefully have a good IQ comparable to the 35 2.4)
If IQ is bad i'll get the DA 35 2.4 or DA 40 XS

05-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #35
gtl
Veteran Member

Got my FA limited trio at a good price used recently. No more DA limiteds for me. Not at current prices. Though I only lack the DA40mm...
05-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i just got a DA21 from Adorama the week before the policy change, which pretty much completed my rig for now. However, I do have an eye on something else and would not hesitate for an instant to purchase it at current dealer price.
05-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought a NEX with a 16mm and the wide adapter for my wide angle stuff, and as a home for my 55/1.2. With a fortunate purchase of a bargain 70-200 I am content with my gear for the moment. The only pentax glass I will consider is a 43 ltd.

05-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
To my dismay, I've seen this happen on the marketplace on more than one occasion already...
Why the dismay, Adam? Shouldn't a used price offer a savings over buying new, and if the new price goes up shouldn't the used price? When the prices for new bodies drop, as they inevitably do, are you dismayed that the prices for used bodies drop as well? Market economy.
05-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #39
Banned

Photos: Albums
I got the 645 format DA 25mm f4.0 (also has that AW tag) not too long ago. Not sure if it has been effected by the price increases.

Got the DA 16-50 f2.8 not long after the price increases
05-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
Why the dismay, Adam? Shouldn't a used price offer a savings over buying new, and if the new price goes up shouldn't the used price? When the prices for new bodies drop, as they inevitably do, are you dismayed that the prices for used bodies drop as well? Market economy.
interesting point and in all the furor in other threads about price changes, i never saw anyone speak up that they are unhappy that their present rig had experienced an inventory "write-up" (ie value increase); in other words, whatever they already own is now worth more than it would have been, which should logically extend to the PF marketplace.
05-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Agree with mikeSF, naturally used prices rise as retail rises. I can't believe that anyone would expect anything else, particularly when lenses had already risen in price a couple years ago and used prices did the same.
05-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Well, I bet that Pentax USA know much better what amount of DA and FA lenses they sell than any poll on any forum will show
I asked Ned what the sales of FA ltd vs. DA ltd was at Adorama and BH the first month after the hike was. He accepted the post but hasn't responded to it yet.
05-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
interesting point and in all the furor in other threads about price changes, i never saw anyone speak up that they are unhappy that their present rig had experienced an inventory "write-up" (ie value increase); in other words, whatever they already own is now worth more than it would have been, which should logically extend to the PF marketplace.
If they can sell it is worth more. Many people use a 75% threshold or something similar when buying used gear still in production. However, they usually don't apply that to the msrp.
05-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
in other words, whatever they already own is now worth more than it would have been, which should logically extend to the PF marketplace.
Well, in theory it should but I still see deals on used everywhere like the $1299 *60~250 that prodigital put out as a feeler (labeled as a refurb but I am kind of near certain it was a market feeler new lens and am pretty certain it will be reboxed and sold as new) about a week ago that surprisingly no one jumped on - I had it in my watch list and even watched it through the final minute (I have no intentions on buying one I just wanted to see how it ended) thinking everyone would jump on it, no one did. Here was the listing:

REFURBISHED smc Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 ED SDM LENS K20D/K-7/K-5 0027075141247 | eBay

Supply and demand of the used lenses is what will ultimately dictate the used prices and for some of the lenses I suspect the higher new prices won't effect the used prices at all and actually we have already seen that in a couple of the DA* lenses still the same used prices...
05-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I've only got a DA*50-135mm used from someone who bought it right before the price change at old, used price. While the new price is hard to stomach right now, I'll probably "forget" about or get used to it in a year when it looks like the normal price...