Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Have you bought a *new* Pentax lens in the US since the April 1st price increase?
Yes, I bought one or more new DA/DFA lenses 116.96%
Yes, I bought new FA lenses only 53.16%
No, I bought new third-party lenses instead 106.33%
No, I decided not to buy any new lenses because of the higher prices 6339.87%
No, I was not planning on buying any new lenses this month to begin with 6943.67%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I asked Ned what the sales of FA ltd vs. DA ltd was at Adorama and BH the first month after the hike was. He accepted the post but hasn't responded to it yet.
To be fair Ned basically told us they only expect to sell lenses during rebate periods. The FA limiteds are tempting at current prices though, I wonder why.

05-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
To be fair Ned basically told us they only expect to sell lenses during rebate periods. The FA limiteds are tempting at current prices though, I wonder why.
If that is the case, they have their schedule and I have mine. If the 2 schedules never cross, they lose a sale. The only lens I had to have was the D FA 100 WR and I got it last June. My first AF film body was a Canon EOS (actually 2 bodies) and I still have the 10s and substantial macro gear. That gives me options on bodies as well in regards to replacing digital bodies in the future. I actually have a fd to EOS macro adapter for the Canon 50mm FD macro lens and FD bellows (& 20mm macro for it) as well as an AF 50mm macro and 1:1 adapter and ring lite. I also have an authentic Tamron adaptall 2 EOS adapter that allows me to use my Tamron 90mm and 180mm/2.5. I had planned on selling off the Canon macro stuff but this has me rethinking it.

Last edited by Blue; 05-09-2012 at 09:44 AM.
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #48
Pentaxian

I have a few lenses I am considering, a "walk around" zoom with more reach than the 18-55 kit, and a macro. I haven't seriously looked because I've been a little more consumed lately with my new Harley and setting it up for the upcoming riding season. In my experience, it seems like every spring the prices of lenses go up for one reason or another. My experience with Sigma has been good to this point so I have no reservations buying their products. The advantage Pentax has is much of their line is smaller and lighter and something I have to consider as I hike a lot and usually travel on 2 wheels to get there. I'll probably look for used stuff first but that's always a risk. I have a DA 40 that needs repair so the eventual cost is going to be more than if I bought new.
05-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If that is the case, they have their schedule and I have mine. If the 2 schedules never cross, they lose a sale. The only lens I had to have was the D FA 100 WR and I got it last June. My first AF film body was a Canon EOS (actually 2 bodies) and I still have the 10s and substantial macro gear. That gives me options on bodies as well in regards to replacing digital bodies in the future. I actually have a fd to EOS macro adapter for the Canon 50mm FD macro lens and FD bellows (& 20mm macro for it) as well as an AF 50mm macro and 1:1 adapter and ring lite. I also have an authentic Tamron adaptall 2 EOS adapter that allows me to use my Tamron 90mm and 180mm/2.5. I had planned on selling off the Canon macro stuff but this has me rethinking it.
I'm not saying I'm happy about it. I am not pleased at all, but that seems to be their 'brilliant' idea. I agree it's just making people look elsewhere. The only Pentax glass I really want now is the 43 and the price wasn't affected.

05-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Supply and demand of the used lenses is what will ultimately dictate the used prices and for some of the lenses I suspect the higher new prices won't effect the used prices at all and actually we have already seen that in a couple of the DA* lenses still the same used prices...
I think what we are seeing here is people jumping ship and willing to accept lower prices. Until the defecting slows, used prices should be unaffected by the recent increases.

FWIW Prodigital just dropped to $1499.00 this afternoon!

Last edited by Franky2step; 05-09-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: new information man
05-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #51
Veteran Member

If PRIC announces a DA21XS for US$250, I'd go for it. After I sell my Aloha lap-steel guitar, of course.
05-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
The only lens I am getting ready to buy is the Bigma. I'm covered for everything else.
I bought my Bigma today.

05-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #53
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I see a few people wanting the Pentax DA*55mm and wonder why anyone would consider this lens when the Sigma is $300 less? It's considered by owners of most brands to be one of the sharpest normal primes from any supplier and focuses faster than the DA*.

If people think about it, the DA* should be collecting dust on store shelves until it comes below the Sigma price.

05-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I see a few people wanting the Pentax DA*55mm and wonder why anyone would consider this lens when the Sigma is $300 less? It's considered by owners of most brands to be one of the sharpest normal primes from any supplier and focuses faster than the DA*.

If people think about it, the DA* should be collecting dust on store shelves until it comes below the Sigma price.
Is the Sigma weather sealed? BTW, long time, No See.
05-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Can't find an option in this poll for my justification - I simply decided to not buy K-mount lenses anymore. I even sold my FA 31 recently.
05-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #56
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Nice to se you as well Blue. No it's not but it's not an issue really. Honestly how often have you shot in the rain? I used the DA16-45mm at least 6 times in fairly hard rain and never had an issue and that's a zoom. I've used the Sigma 70-200 in the rain and several others that are not weather sealed.

I'm much harder on my gear than most of you and don't even think about WS as a reason to buy or not to buy a lens.
05-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

There are several reasons. The DA is considerably smaller. I also personally like the colors better and the out of focus rendering of the DA *55, but each to their own.

Edit: I just want to add that this is my favorite lens. Maybe I would be satisfied with a Sigma 50mm (probably would), but if I were to sell my gear, this would be the last lens to go. Just saying...

Last edited by Rondec; 05-12-2012 at 03:57 AM.
05-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #58
Site Supporter

Nice to se you as well Blue. No it's not but it's not an issue really. Honestly how often have you shot in the rain? I used the DA16-45mm at least 6 times in fairly hard rain and never had an issue and that's a zoom. I've used the Sigma 70-200 in the rain and several others that are not weather sealed.

I'm much harder on my gear than most of you and don't even think about WS as a reason to buy or not to buy a lens.
I currently have 3 WR lenses, 18-55, 100 WR and DA* 300. I am out on the rivers and cypress swamps a couple of times a week and have a Pelican, Dry bag rain poncho and a couple of permanently mounted dry boxes. However, I don't like to do lens changes out there. I have encountered temps of 105 & 95% humidity before. I was contemplating replacing the 18-55 with it. I had it get so hot last summer that may K200d actually shut down on 2 different days. A block body and 100 to 105. I wish one of those white bodies was weather sealed. :Hysterical: I will only take my LTD lenses out there certain times of year.

Edit: This is me in my second office on Jan 1 taken with an LX3

This is my Ph.D. student taken a few weeks later with the K200d & 18-55mm WR

This was an attempt with a GF2 last September.

Last edited by Blue; 05-11-2012 at 05:28 PM.
05-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #59
Veteran Member

The Sigma FOV is definitely wider than 50mm, more like 47mm or so. On many copies of the Sigma, the lens needed the AF to be re-calibrated by Sigma to focus accurately at closer focusing distances. The color rendering is quite different from Pentax. It is a big lens and while it is definitely cheaper and can focus quicker, it is not weather sealed. Image quality aside the big difference in FOV is obvious at least to me. I've used both the Sigma 50mm and DA* 55mm and I personally feel the DA* is the nicer of the two. There is more to a lens' superiority than on the basis of price alone.

Sigma may make good lenses but they aren't perfect. Try using their 24-70mm zoom or the 70-200mm HSM using Live View with the K-5 and you'll discover that the lens will not be able to lock focus at all, the focus motor racking from infinity to MFD and back. Only a visit to Sigma's service center will solve it.
05-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #60
Site Supporter

I have actually sold some lenses and invested heavily in a M43 kit with Two Panasonic bodies and 4 lenses. Not sure where Pentax is going since the price increase. Looks like no sales of new lenses might wake them up.