Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Have you bought a *new* Pentax lens in the US since the April 1st price increase?
Yes, I bought one or more new DA/DFA lenses 116.96%
Yes, I bought new FA lenses only 53.16%
No, I bought new third-party lenses instead 106.33%
No, I decided not to buy any new lenses because of the higher prices 6339.87%
No, I was not planning on buying any new lenses this month to begin with 6943.67%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone actually bought a new DA lens since the price increase? (US only)

I'm trying to gauge how effective the recent Pentax price increase has been in bringing Pentax DA lens sales to a standstill in the US. In March (before the increase), our members acquired well over 30 DA lenses from B&H, according to our figures. April saw just 4 DA lens sales, with an increased number of FA Limiteds being bought instead.

So, vote in the poll if the new prices have played a major role in your lens selection! If Pentax USA sees this, maybe they'll fire up a rebate program faster than they would otherwise.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So, vote in the poll if this has influenced you! If Pentax USA sees this, maybe they'll fire up a rebate program faster than they would otherwise.
Well, I bet that Pentax USA know much better what amount of DA and FA lenses they sell than any poll on any forum will show
05-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I had a DA40 Ltd in B&H cart before the price increase and removed it when the price was increased. After that I ordered a Olympus E-M5 with the 12-50 kit lens and the 45/1.8 lens.
05-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
I had a DA40 Ltd in B&H cart before the price increase and removed it when the price was increased. After that I ordered a Olympus E-M5 with the 12-50 kit lens and the 45/1.8 lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Well, I bet that Pentax USA know much better what amount of DA and FA lenses they sell than any poll on any forum will show
But they wouldn't know the above They just lost a customer!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Luckily, i bought my DA*50-135mm a few days before the hike. I would not buy it at the current price.
05-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I voted "No, not planning to buy this month anyway". However, I have had an upgrade path with purchases over a time period, and this plan is now either extended or suspended for the time being.
05-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What about the option bought new DA and FA? yeah, that's what I did. Needed a WR lens, and no one is selling 18-135 for cheap. With corresponding increase in used sales price, it makes more sense to me to pay the retail and get a good copy ($100 increase isn't that big of a deal, now the DA* prices are just insane. I would be happy to buy the 50-135 at the old $850ish if I could, instead of the 18-135 I have now)

05-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I was going to buy the DA*55mm because I wanted to do a few photoshoots with friends (as models).

Then I went to Adorama/B&H and decided against it. My Tammy 70-200 will have to do..
05-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I was going to buy the DA*55mm because I wanted to do a few photoshoots with friends (as models).
I too was pondering that lens right before the price increase for nighttime outside portrait work, will not get it new now, will wait and see if I can nab it on the used market...
05-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I bought used instead, I had a new one picked out and the deal fell through (probably because of the price rise, the seller cancelled the sale and then it was 40% higher when I realized they did not ship it to me).
05-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I bought used instead
The *55? How do you like it so far?
05-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I too was pondering that lens right before the price increase for nighttime outside portrait work, will not get it new now, will wait and see if I can nab it on the used market...
I have seen sellers jacking up their used price to match the higher retail, e.g., selling used at the previous new price, etc.
05-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #13

I bought a DA* 50-135 shortly after the pricing policy went into effect. I found a relatively good deal on it, and I find it to be a really nice lens. After the pricing policy change, I decided not to buy the other lenses I wanted (DA* 16-50 and DA* 60-250), and I have reinvested in another Canon system. I left Canon for Pentax a couple of years ago, but I don't like the idea of almost doubling prices (regardless of how screwed up they were in the first place) without offering more (be it quality control or better products). I haven't fully crossed back over into Canon as my only system, but Pentax will need to up their quality control (and SDM) before I buy anything else from them.
05-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I had the DA17-70 in my shopping cart with BHPhoto that weekend. The next day the price went up about $150. However, Amazon still had the lens at nearly the old price, old stock i guess. So i bought the lens from Amazon instead of BH Photo because of the price increase. Currently looking at a non-Pentax mirrorless camera for various reasons.
05-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I bought a brand new DA 60-250 April 2nd from Prodigital 2000 after the price increase but they gave it too me for CDN$1149.00 free delivery. That same day the price rose to CDN$1549 and today it's $1999.00...and I love it.