Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by contrabass Quote
I don't have any particular comment on your equipment selection (except that maybe a well-worn looking bag might be preferable to a new one, in terms of not looking too affluent).
Problem with my Ameribag is that it's threatening to fall apart after a decade's hard use. As for not looking affluent: my sun-beaten 1996 Ford Exploder helps. But I'm a silver-haired gringo 6"4' / 190cm high, mostly dressed in black, so I don't look like a pobrecito, no way. But I don't look like Latino upper-class either. Not like my cousins' family. They wouldn't be caught DEAD in my Ford.

QuoteQuote:
It so happens I've been to Paracho. My brother-in-law even bought a guitar there! Turns out there are many guitar shops there, but only a handful actually still make them there. (Not much point in going all the way to Paracho and not get an instrument made by the guy you're talking to.) That was a surprise; worth knowing in advance.
I was in Paracho Michoacan towards the end of a long journey a few years ago. In Taxco Guerrero, everybody sells silver, mostly stamped junk. In Paracho, every shop sells stringed instruments, mostly shrink-wrapped junk. On my visit, the Ford was literally stuffed solid. I visited many fine luthiers, played their handmade gems, but I only had space in the car for a quatro (12-string mandolin). This time, we'll leave room for a guitar. And maybe that 3-string bass I saw at Nim P'ot in Antigua Guatemala could be strapped to the roof...

QuoteQuote:
Safe travels!
Much grass!

05-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I went to Africa last year, I went heavy on camera gear and light on everything else. My main bag was a photography backpack. I had a net book stuck in there as well. I had 8 lenses and 2 bodies and a flash with me. When I go back, I will do something similar. I am going to the Dominican Republic twice this summer and will use a similar strategy there as well. I ended up using 4 of those lenses and both bodies a lot.
05-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperK5 Quote
DUDE!!!... I think you have enough. personally I would sell of all your lower quality lenses and trade them in for just 2 or 3 high quality zooms and 2 or 3 killer primes. Trade in all your Baloney for Filet Mignon if you know what I'm saying. You can probably upgrade your laptop with a larger hard drive and max out the ram for cheap, this will increase performance, or maybe find a good deal on a good used laptop. There are many good new laptops out there for under $500.00 these days...Good Luck on your travels.
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I think you should sell maybe what 70% of you MF glass and treat yourself to buy a couple of Limited's
QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Hi RioRico,

If you ever follow the advice of these 2 guys, can you spare me 1 of your 80-85mm manual lens? am more than willing to keep them for you
QuoteOriginally posted by Bestzoom Quote
I agree with Simon you should sell the bulk of your lenses, especially those you have not used for 6 months or longer.
Lenses and cameras are tools. Photo taking is the real aim for a photo trip.

For me, more than 5 lenses on a trip is a pain (weight). I tend to be at the other extreme and just take 2 prime lenses on overseas trip.

Enjoy your collection!
you guys need to read some Rico posts. He's still BUYING lenses - that's the whole game.
05-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
what are you selling?

05-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Problem with my Ameribag is that it's threatening to fall apart after a decade's hard use. As for not looking affluent: my sun-beaten 1996 Ford Exploder helps.
Yes, there's "broken in" and then there's "broken". Ahh, well.

From what little I know about you from the posts here, its sounds like you know what you're doing in MX anyway. Heh, when we drove around there, it was in my brother-in-law's '89 Nissan Sentra (or Tsuru as they're known around there). With no AC and a sunroof missing its sun shade. Talk about flying under the radar, ha!

I was in Paracho Michoacan towards the end of a long journey a few years ago. In Taxco Guerrero, everybody sells silver, mostly stamped junk. In Paracho, every shop sells stringed instruments, mostly shrink-wrapped junk. On my visit, the Ford was literally stuffed solid. I visited many fine luthiers, played their handmade gems, but I only had space in the car for a quatro (12-string mandolin). This time, we'll leave room for a guitar. And maybe that 3-string bass I saw at Nim P'ot in Antigua Guatemala could be strapped to the roof...
OK, you've already been before, so you know the deal.

As a bass player (see my user name) I was curious about the very crude-- and cheap-- basses sold there. Though there was no realistic way of getting one home to the US. (see Tsuru above). Also was surprised to find that they don't make guitarróns there, as I'm curious about those. Kind of figured it was close enough to a guitar that they'd make them, too...
05-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gilsouthwood Quote
what are you selling?
For sure: some non-Pentaxable lenses and cameras including the streetshooter's classic Petri 7S; some off-brand common lenses; an ancient Aloha lap-steel guitar with original case and amp; a couple Zenith Transoceanic shortwave receivers; a MiniMoog; Tascam PortaStudio (cassette); probably an ancient Roland analog synth and a MiniMoog; and a huge collection of un-opened never-played classical music LPs. And a hyper grandson, if I can find a buyer.

QuoteOriginally posted by contrabass Quote
Heh, when we drove around there, it was in my brother-in-law's '89 Nissan Sentra (or Tsuru as they're known around there). With no AC and a sunroof missing its sun shade. Talk about flying under the radar, ha!
You'd blend in everywhere except in vertical Taxco Guerrero, where every viable vehicle is a rear-engine VW.

QuoteQuote:
As a bass player (see my user name) I was curious about the very crude-- and cheap-- basses sold there. Though there was no realistic way of getting one home to the US. (see Tsuru above). Also was surprised to find that they don't make guitarróns there, as I'm curious about those. Kind of figured it was close enough to a guitar that they'd make them, too...
Check out Lark In The Morning for guitarróns, Cümbüşes, other exotic instruments. Hmmm, you're right, I don't recall seeing guitarróns in Paracho. Maybe there's insufficient tourista demand, hay?

Last edited by RioRico; 05-12-2012 at 04:40 PM.
05-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Your comments are appreciated
Enjoyable post to read. Is there a question in it?
05-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #23
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Two questions in fact: What's for sale? and Is RioRico the buyer or the seller?

05-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

let me know if you want to drop some of your lenses on the market place i would be very interested and have fun on your trip.
05-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ah yes, my Endless Dream of fulfilling my Ultar-Light Mini-Kit with the XR Rikenon 28/3.5 Aspheric (60g). And to fill-out that minikit with a few other ultra-lights: Fisheye Takumar 18/8 (90g); DA21Ltd (110g) or DA21XS (lighter?); Loreo 35/5.6-64 (30g). I'd better bump my LENS WANTED post on that XR Rikenon. Someday, I may find it...

I see I got you hooked on that one. Good luck! I'm also looking...but I fear they made very few...it was at the very end of Ricoh's old SLR era. But I presume they own the lens design, so we should talk them into using it for a new Pentax limited lens. But then you have to buy a ltd of course
05-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Not so much a question as a call for chatting-up, for free-association, for exploring attitudes and possibilities. You want questions? I'll start a thread on WHAT'S YOUR WEIRDEST LENS? And maybe WHAT LENS WOULD YOU ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO BUY? But those would only invite answers. I think it was Pablo Picasso who said, "Computers are useless; they only give you answers". Sometimes we need better questions, not just answers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I see I got you hooked on that one. Good luck!
Quests are great when they lead in unexpected directions. As soon as a quest is fulfilled, it's time to start another quest. What'll I do if I ever find that XR Rikenon 28/3.5 Aspheric? That won't be the end; I'll still search for shorter lenses under 100g.

Meanwhile, I just succumbed to further LBA in the ultralight direction: I've ordered a couple cheap pieces from Loreo, to supplement the 35/11-22 PC (perspective control) lens-in-a-cap. Sometime soon I'll receive their original 35/5.6-64 lens-in-a-cap, and a Lubot 10x loupe that snaps onto either lens for flatfield ultra-macro shots. Total weight should be around 50g. Should be good clean fun, eh?
05-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Two questions in fact: What's for sale? and Is RioRico the buyer or the seller?
I would categorize RioRico as a Buyer

Only if you hit his criterias.
05-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I would categorize RioRico as a Buyer
Actually, I'm a Dealer. Gear-dealer, that is. Before I can buy, I must sell. Life is like that, when one has about zero disposable income. I can buy whatever I want as long as the money comes from just my PayPal account and not any real-world account, ie anything with a statement that my financial manager would see. Very occasionally, I am granted a few bucks from the house budget for something photographic. VERY occasionally. Instead, I must deal.

QuoteQuote:
Only if you hit his criterias.
Which is: cheap.
05-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #29
MSL
Pentaxian

Instead, I must deal.
You should start a new business venture - guided tours complete with loaner photography equipment. The best of both worlds as you show off exotic locales and at the same time let the gear heads try off your exotic (but not necessarily expensive) bits of gear.
05-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
You should start a new business venture - guided tours complete with loaner photography equipment. The best of both worlds as you show off exotic locales and at the same time let the gear heads try off your exotic (but not necessarily expensive) bits of gear.
Let's see, about the most exotic places I've been to (visually) are, in no special order:

* A road north of Stewart BC / Dyer AK that runs along a glacier and enters a valley that looks like the cover art of the original edition of CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR. Use slow lenses.

* The marketplace in vertical Taxco (TAHS-koh) Guerrero, Mexico, which decends many levels down into the earth. Much of Taxco is really vivid. Use fast lenses.

* The steep hilltop village of Xilitla (hee-LEET-lah) San Luis Potosi, Mexico; and nearby Las Pozas, a construction by a British royal bastard that looks like a jungle-overgrown blend of HP Lovecraft, HR Giger, MC Escher, and Salvador Dali (who was a buddy of said bastard). Use optical-trick lenses.

* Chichicastenango (CHEE-chee-KAS-ten-ANG-go) Guatemala, home of the largest indigenous marketplace in the Americas, and a Catholic cathedral that's a Mayan temple. Use mystical lenses.

* San Pedro Sacatapequez (SAH-kah-tah-PAY-kez) (or Sock-It-To-Me!), north of Guatemala City, where scores of vivid 1m- and 5m- and 10m-wide kites are flown during the 1 November children's Day of the Dead. Use superzooms.

* Walk the steep stairways on the hillsides, and the gentle twisting coast road, of the Amalfi coast of Italy near Vesuvius: Mayori, Minori, Ravello, Atrani, Amalfi, etc. Discover why MC Escher worked here. (The Amalfi coast, and Antigua Guatemala, are great places during Semana Santa / Holy Week). Use tilt-shift lenses.

* Carlsbad Caverns Natl Park, NM. 'Nuff said. Use a tripod.

* Too many picturesque locales in USA have become theme parks specializing in t-shirt and trinket sales. I include Jerome and Bisbee AZ; Santa Fe and Taos NM; New York City and Boston and San Francisco. Tsk. Then there's the strip around Dollywood TN. Ay yi yi. Usa a Holga.

For challenges, I guess I'd rent out my projector and process lenses. Often very very fast and heavy, often fixed-focus and -aperture. Are you up to the task?

Last edited by RioRico; 05-10-2012 at 12:15 PM.