Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Maybe you should make me a list of what to get so I can buy them before you see them.
Here's where I find cheap lenses: - Lenses - Cameras & Photo Lenses & Filters Lenses . Plug in 1.5x (or 1.4x or 1.7x) and there are the front-mounted TCs I like. Change the max.price to $10 for the cheap ones. Et cetera.

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
And I don't know about you, but I certainly didn't expect to go birding when going to Italy. Isn't it all about the wide angle landscapes and the tele shots of snappily dressed peeps? I probably could've brought a teleconverter to do the job, but somehow I forgot about that when I was packing.
Well, for human 'birding', I keep the small 500mm mirror in my kit. Great in bright light.

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Adding to the lens database, particularly the third party lenses that you have, and especially the ones that you have sold, would be a tremendous gift to the Forum here. Even, just starting with an inventory of what you have (a note of why you are keeping it) and possibly a list of what you have sold (and why), would really help a lot of folks.
Interesting idea. I've hesitated because I *don't* want to write reviews of each and every Pentaxable lens. But just posting entries with physical+financial data shouldn't be too hard. That'll be after me mate gets a tablet and frees-up the mini-laptop so I can do the entry whilst laying back on the couch, not hunched over the keyboard desk...

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
not to offend RioRico but it seems he almost goes out of his way to find some really.......different... stuff
Bingo! Cheap, wild, and out of control, those are my criteria!

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I'll still use the K10 with any glass I have that fits, but a camera that's smaller lighter, easier to use and can use my Minolta MD & AF, Canon FD & EOS, M42, M39 and PK lenses just makes sense to me.

But.....
it doesn't answer RioRico's problem - it would just make it worse because he wouldn't have to modify all those lenses to fit PK.
I wouldn't be where I am now (lenswise) if I hadn't scooped-up piles of useless MD and FD and LTM glass, sat upon them for a couple years, then sold them for a tidy profit, with which to buy Pentaxable lenses. Limitations become virtues, eh?

05-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
wolfiegirl,
After a while, I saw your posts increased from 1000 to 2400++
I wish my lens collection could increase as fast !

Hey hoanpham, my posts unfortunately don't run parallel to my actual lens collection.

I started posting pics rather than just lusting after lenses. I figure that if I buy all these lenses I may as well start using them and posting them around right?
05-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #48

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
No, you're not the only one. I really really like old cheap glass. I shot for 40 years before I went AF, and I used cheap glass Back In The Day also
I guess, but I haven't seen many other 14 year old kids running around on film cameras…

QuoteOriginally posted by Weber Quote
Which is "only" about 10 times as many as I have
Which is only about twice as many as I have… Which makes my total lens collection 17 times smaller than Lowell's. I can get by on 3 lenses, I guess…

DA 2 18-55mm (Love-Hate relationship), the trusty 55mm K f2, and my new M 135mm non-tack. It's… a little limited, I guess
05-13-2012, 03:01 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gilsouthwood Quote
I can get by on 3 lenses, I guess…

DA 2 18-55mm (Love-Hate relationship), the trusty 55mm K f2, and my new M 135mm non-tack. It's… a little limited, I guess
Yes, that's a bit limited. I'll suggest adding a Toyo|TOU 28/2.8, F35-70, and maybe a Zenitar 16/2.8.

Meanwhile, ObTopic: Two points.

First, some here are wondering what and when I'll be selling. I should have some stuff up for sale by next weekend. (I'll NEED to sell some stuff if I win a certain auction today.)

Next, I've rethought my travel kit a bit, and I realize I'll NEED more lenses. These are the strong candidates:

* F35-70/3.5-4.5 -- it's just the fastest-AF'ing (most agile) AF lens I have. This small gem should do wonders in the evening street fairs in Huehuetenango Guatemala.
* Zenitar 16/2.8 -- although I'll have the DA10-17 and Tamron 10-24, the Zen is just my fastest widest lens. Will be great in tight dark spaces like the deep marketplace in Taxco Guerrero Mexico.
* Sakar 500/8 mirror -- for unobtrusive headshots in well-lit crowds, this is it. It's not a protruding monster like the DA18-250 or FA100-300. Less likely to provoke hostility and gunfire.
* I'm considering the FA100-300 (silver) as a long landscape etc lens. Its optics at the long end *are* better than the DA18-250. It's light but bulky. Is it better enough? Hmmm... maybe not...
* And maybe a couple of specialty optical adapters: my cheap 0.25x optic for making full-circle fisheye shots; and the front-loading 1.5x tele adapter that'll turn my FA50/1.4 into a portrait-monster 75/1.4. And maybe I could ditch the Nikkor 85/2?

Also, I have some incoming optics that will definitely go traveling. From Loreo, their original lens-in-a-cap 35/5.6-64, for pinhole-like effects without the frigging dust. And its accompanying Lubot 10x ultra-macro loupe, which clips onto this lens-in-a-cap and also the 35/11-22 Perspective Control (shift) lens. They'll add just another 50g to my load. I can handle that. Hopefully.

And if I win the auction... well, I'll just say that I probably won't leave my first Limited behind, eh? Darn, I'll need a larger bag to carry this stuff. I wonder if the LowePro Slingshot has more capacity than my old Ameribag?

Footnote: Looking at my prospective travel kit, I see an interesting breakdown:

WIDE: 10-17 FE; 16 fast FE; 10-24 rectilinear
NORMAL: a 28; three ultralight 35s; a pancake 40
SLIGHTLY LONG: slow and fast 50s; 35-70 zoom
LONGER: 18-250; slow 100 and 500; 85 (maybe)
ADAPTERS: full-circle FE; 1.5x front TC; macro kit

Under 20 lenses! A new low for me! Check my pulse! Fire-up the de-fib! ZAPPP!

Last edited by RioRico; 05-13-2012 at 03:36 AM.
05-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
So getting back to your gear here are two thoughts.
A) pick a focal length - you've said you have about 50 odd 50mm lenses. How many of them do you really use because you are drawn to them, and how many do you use just cause you own them? Sell all the ones in the latter category?
B) would you replace it? if any given lens were to break completely would you bother replacing it? if not, I'd flag it as a candidate worth selling
Good ideas. My responses:

A) This is where I'm conflicted. No, I don't use all twenty 28's nor all fifty 50's. Maybe ten of the 50's are surplus; a couple others await chopping (modding for PK). But most are just TOO GOOD (or too worthless) to dispose of. Most of the surplus 50's won't sell for much either (various f/2's and f/3.5's). The 28's are trickier because I haven't yet tested them all to see which I *really* don't want. Do I just dump both Hanimexes, even though one is by Tokina? Decisions, decisions...

B) Also a tricky question. The few that *have* broken, I've wanted to replace, maybe at painful prices. (Don't ask how much I've spent on Vivitar-Kiron 24/2's, eh?) Many of those that would fail this test (if it's broke, dump it!) are also not really worth selling. Those that *were* worth selling have already been weeded-out.

I don't judge a lens by its optics alone. I've over a dozen 135's, four by Pentax, with maybe another incoming. Of the Pentaxi, the S-M-C Tak 135/2.5 is optically the best; and the M135/3.5 is the most compact; but the Tak Bayonet 135/2.5 is the one I use most, because it combines speed, built-in hood, and most important, it focuses closest by far. Yet I keep all the other 135s because they each have their own special gift. Glass is like that. Lenses taste different. I've already kicked myself for selling the 'glow' Sears 135/2.8 macro. Smearing vaseline on the TakBayonet can't approach that effect.

So I'm constantly maintaining my "lens library". Keep the interesting, dispose of the boring, grab a few more. And maybe I'll make enough selling musical instruments and electronics that I can add the glass I want without losing too many favorites. I'm always looking for minimax solutions.
05-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #51
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
* I'm considering the FA100-300 (silver) as a long landscape etc lens. Its optics at the long end *are* better than the DA18-250. It's light but bulky. Is it better enough? Hmmm... maybe not...
You can find the Quantaray 100-300 in sub-$50 bargain bins at times; it's the Sigma f/4.5-6.7 relabeled. Faster to focus than the 55-300, just as sharp but slightly lower contrast that could use a boost on some shots. At 300mm and f/6.7 it hunts in lesser light - but it hunts fast ! I liked everything about it but the 100 part -hence my fourth copy of the 55-300 once the budget relaxed a bit.
05-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Rio, where are you at with this thread?

Did you decide to scale back and upgrade? Sounds like you are you still buying more cheap lenses?

Would you say your more collector than shooter? Or is your driving force more along testing lenses? Just trying to figure out where you fit in?

I got about 30 - 35 lenses. (I never inventoried them, something I need to do.) But some were duplicates, cause I liked them so much and wanted backups liked soft focus lens, 15LTD's, 150M's and cheap beach use Tammy's 70-300's.

Some of my other dupes were multiple kit lenses I had no other choice but to take cause I wanted more bodies. And some were comparisons. Like 3 macro's to test or a few super wides to test. I would most likely have bought another 60-250 before the price rise. (Last one I bought was $1028 for a like new open box Amazon.)

Have you ever inventoried you massive collection Rio?

I think if I had to take care of a collection your size I would not have much time for shooting. I cannot figure out how I would ravel with 50 lenses. How did you store and organize them for your trip?

What have you decided about your upcoming trip for a pared down lens quiver?

Last edited by slackercruster; 05-13-2012 at 09:21 AM.
05-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Rio, where are you at with this thread?
Oh, just meandering along, thinking out loud, exercising my fingers keyboarding.

QuoteQuote:
Did you decide to scale back and upgrade? Sounds like you are you still buying more cheap lenses?
Yes, I'm still buying cheap lenses. That's part of being a trader: buy lenses cheap, sell lenses not-so-cheap, use the profit to buy more, then sell more, all the while improving the stock.

QuoteQuote:
Would you say your more collector than shooter? Or is your driving force more along testing lenses? Just trying to figure out where you fit in?
I prefer "active lens librarian" to "obsessive-compulsive collector", thank you. And yes, much of my impetus is testing: gzzz, how does THIS cheap gem compare to THAT one?

I break this down into various areas: I have a few macro lenses (some here have MANY TIMES my count) and a big pile of enlarger lenses, all lending different flavors to macro shooting. I have a small pile of cheap old FF AF kit.zooms and replacements in the 28|35-70|90 range, because I want to do some shoot-outs between them -- I think there's a CHEAP ZOOM CLUB here. I have a bunch of 28s that call out for comparison. And I *am* trying to put together optimal kits for different situations. Such as my ultralight minikit: a pack of tiny primes weighing under 450g total that I can stick in a cargo pocket. And a 4-zoom utility kit: 10-24, 19-35, 35-70, 80-200. Different kits for different trips.

Mostly I like having zillions of lenses because each is a different window on the world. Even when optics are the same or similar: my SuperTak and FA 50/1.4s are VERY different to use. And they render differently than my planar Yashica DL 50/1.4 or the Tomioka 55/1.4. My two CZJ Tessar 50/2.8's are very different: a big black M42 with 5 iris blades vs a small silver Exakta-mount with 12 blades (always in my ultarlight minikit). And various 50/1.7s and 55/1.8s, all quite sharp, all in different ways.

QuoteQuote:
Have you ever inventoried you massive collection Rio?
My gear database is among my most precious possessions. I don't record dates, but just about everything else about every camera, lens, adapter, flash, extension, filter, et al is there, currently sitting on memory stick that's easily moved between computers.

QuoteQuote:
I think if I had to take care of a collection your size I would not have much time for shooting. I cannot figure out how I would ravel with 50 lenses. How did you store and organize them for your trip?
Caring for them is nothing. Organizing them in-house is a slight effort. Using them: I have my LOTD (lens-of-the-day) strategy. Grab one at random and use only it for a day or ten. Some LOTDs graduate to regular rotation; some head for the SELL pile.

Organizing for a journey is a balancing act: How much can I take that's enough but not too much? For my recent extended sojourn on the US-MX border, 50 lenses (in 4 bags) was right. For an international car trip with changes of lodging nightly or weekly, 15 lenses (in a carry-bag and a backup) may almost be too many. That's why I'm thinking out loud here, working on an optimum.

QuoteQuote:
What have you decided about your upcoming trip for a pared down lens quiver?
I outlined the current fantasy a couple posts back.
WIDE: 10-17 FE; 16 fast FE; 10-24 rectilinear
NORMAL: fast 28; 3 2 ultralight 35s; pancake 40
SLIGHTLY LONG: slow and fast 50s; 35-70 zoom
LONGER: 18-250; slow 100 and 500; 85 (maybe)
ADAPTERS: full-circle FE; 1.5x front TC; macro kit
It hasn't evolved much in the last 6 hours, heh heh. The 85, an ultralight 35, and the FE adapter may be dropped; an ultralight DA21Ltd (or XS?) might be added, funds permitting; and I may have a surprise addition by this evening. But I might be able to keep this down to 15 lenses, including 5 ultralights which barely count. Everything has shown its worth on previous trips, and has its place at intended visitations. I'm already previsualizing using certain lenses at certain locations.

Last edited by RioRico; 05-13-2012 at 10:14 AM.
05-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Thanks for the rundown Rio. Where do you think you would be at with the lens number if you were not trading in them?
05-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Where do you think you would be at with the lens number if you were not trading in them?
I'd be overflowing with unusable lenses that I bought in an early spree before I had any idea of what I was doing.
05-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #56
Veteran Member

I'd be overflowing with unusable lenses that I bought in an early spree before I had any idea of what I was doing.
What number do you think you's be at?

Do you think you could get by with 20 lenses or so if not trading? Or would you need more?
05-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What number do you think you's be at?
It's not a good hypothetical because I *would* be selling-off what I can't use, and I *would* be buying more usable and interesting lenses, so I *would* be dealing, so the number is incalculable.

QuoteQuote:
Do you think you could get by with 20 lenses or so if not trading? Or would you need more?
No, 20 lenses would not be enough. IF (big hypothetical) IF there were insufficient space for more, I *might* pare-down to somewhere in the region of 100. But that assumes that I have some motivation for dramatically reducing my lens count -- which I don't.

That basic 15-lens travel kit I mentioned above omits many lenses that I just find very very useful in varied circumstances, and that I would gladly travel with if I didn't have to schlep them into and out of lodgings nightly and weekly. My regular rotation is around 50 lenses, and at least that many more are handy for special purposes. That's where I get the 100 number above. I would *love* to be able to travel with the Regular Fifty. Where's that pack llama?

But again, I have lenses both to use them, and to know them. I like discerning the differences between Pentax-Yashica-Olympus-Cosina-Meyer 50s and Chinon-Mamiya-Petri-Rikenon-Takumar 55s in f/1.7-1.8. And I like having lenses to refer to when questions are asked here. Thus, the lens library. Certainly cheaper than collecting guitars, eh?

Last edited by RioRico; 05-14-2012 at 11:05 AM.