Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My current weirdest lens is not incredibly weird. It's a Tamron Adaptall 85-201 f/4.5 that I bought just for the adaptall mount. It's incredibly heavy for its size, which is about 1.5 soda cans in height and a little less in diameter. The rubber focus and zoom rings have come off. It has internal zoom, but extends about 5/8" in focusing. It's also got some fungus inside. It takes okay pictures. I don't know if I'll be able to sell this thing. If not, I might take it apart for fun.

A lens I'll never own: Any 500mm f/8 lens, including those cheap, long lenses you see on ebay and the cheap mirror lenses yous see on ebay.

05-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
1a) Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/4 "Flektogon" for Pentacon Six (6x6 medium format), adapted with a P6-K mount tilt adapter.
How's the IQ with that? (I have the lens, but no adapter for K mount, but I could use it (without tilt) with K->645 and 645->P6 adapters.) (Looking at your picture, you obviously have a newer copy than me though.)
Well, it's relatively slow (f/4) and certainly big for a 50mm lens, but my copy is about the sharpest lens I own with the most pleasing bokeh (beats the 31mm Ltd and 100mm Macro). Given that I am a rank-amateur with tilt-lens movement (who's Scheimpflug?), I frequently end up using it non-tilted and the sharpness and micro-contrast, even at infinity, is just breathtaking.

A great landscape lens that has frequently had me looking at medium-format film cameras (mmm... Exakta 66) just to get that wider angle.
05-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I love weird lenses, so I do have quite a few...

1a. Soft focus lenses, including Pentax FA 85/2.8 Soft Focus, Fujinon EBC 85/4 Soft Focus, Tamron SP Adaptall-2 70-150mm F/2.8 Soft, and a few others.

1b. Tilt and shift adapter and lenses, like Pentacon Six lenses and the Arax 35/2.8 Tilt and Shift in M42 mount.

1c. Manual focus small format lenses delivering images full of character, like the Meyer Optik Trioplan 100/2.8 (a.k.a. "The Glow") or the Canon 50/0.95 (a.k.a. "The Dream lens"), Helios 40-2 and some catadioptric lenses.

1d. Some unusual large format and medium format lenses, such as the 300/10 Apo Saphir Boyer, as well as a complete set of lenses designed for the Fuji 6x9 rangefinder series, the rarest being the Fujinon-SW S f:5.6 50mm rectilinear and non-retrofocus ultrawide.

As for a lens that I shouldn't have bought, there are a few AF lenses (both primes and zooms) that I find very disappointing, but maybe that's because I don't know how to use them!

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
https://www.box.com/s/c26fe7495688a78f71e6

05-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Since I don't make a habit of collecting old or off-beat lenses, I don't have any particularly weird lenses. The weirdest are:

(1) Tele-takumar 300/6.3. What is weird about this lens (beyond it's rather narrow, telescopic appearance) is that it has some of the oddest abberations and rendering I've ever run across in a lens. It sometimes renders a white bird in such a way as to almost make the bird look like its made out of an ice-like substance. Very strange.

(2) DA 10-17. What is perhaps most weird about this lens is that I use it almost exclusively for landscapes. Works well in tree deprived mountain landscapes. I'm looking forward to using it at Angel Lake in Nevada early in June.

Lenses I'll never own:

(1) Any constant f2.8 zoom. I use zooms almost exclusively as landscape lenses, so the f2.8 is wasted on me. It merely adds unnecessary cost and weight to the lens.

(2) 85 f1.4 glass. I don't shoot enough portraits to justify such a lens. And for narrow DOF work, I'm completely satisfied with a K 50/1.2.

(3) Older Sigma zooms. Some of the newer Sigma zooms, like the 8-16, are quite impressive; but I don't care for the color rendition of the older zooms, which appear to suffer from poor/uneven light transmission.

(4) 300 f2.8 glass. To big and heavy; too expensive. Much prefer f4 in this focal length. Not interested in using 2x teleconverters.

There's also some types of lenses I wished I'd never owned at all:

(1) One-touch zooms. Creeping dust magnets, don't like them.

(2) Any Pentax FA/F consumer grade/kit zoom made after '91. Pentax made a lot of mediocre and deeply flawed zoom glass in the nineties. Best to avoid.

Last edited by northcoastgreg; 05-10-2012 at 08:25 AM.
05-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a lens I would never own...probably the Domiplan 50/2.8.
05-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

1. Pentax DA40mm. Beautifuly made, well focusing, however focal lenght did not suit my style for portraits, neither it was great for general photography. Just... Not for me (Still it produced amazing quality pictures).
2. Sigma 70-135mm f/3.5. Old and very rear manual focus zoom. Very well made, very smooth and clever zooming system, however IQ was something like you take a shot with soft focus filter (At 70-80mm it was moreless ok). You can't speak about sharpness here. I used it on K200D. Luckily I don't have to test it on a hungry K-5 sensor.

05-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Ah, a full-circle fisheye adapter! Fun fun fun! If I included adapters, I'd have to list the 3- and 4- and 5-image prisms, the starmakers, similar optical toys.

#1a: I already mentioned the massive Schneider Betavaron (810g). Brutally sharp.

#1b: The more massive Rodenstock XR-Heligon 120/1.8 (870g) xray-machine lens. The mount is a PK macro tube I glued onto the body for fixed-focus of ~56cm. Real thin DOF, about like a 50/0.75! I'd love to put this beast on a NEX with a focusing helicoid.

#1c: The Loreo Perspective Control lens-in-a cap 35/11-22 (30g). No tilts, but it shifts, and it's a pancake, and it's sharp. I'll soon receive its ancestor the original lens-in-a-cap 35/5.6-64 (30g?) for near-pinhole effects (without the dust), and the Lubot 10x loupe (20g?) that snaps into either lens-in-a-cap for flatfield ultra-macro shots. Just right for my ultra-light mini-kit.

#1d: The Schneider PC-Cinelux AV 60/2.8 (300g), a projector lens with shifts. Somewhat similar to the Loreo PC, but rather larger-faster-longer. This works fine on bellows. I have other odd projector lenses too, like some Kodak 100-150/3.5 projector zooms (usable with bellows), and a fast Projection Optics 76/1.8 (this will need a NEX).

#1e: A +2dpt closeup optic screwed onto an +8dpt Raynox DCR-250, mounted on bellows via a 42-43mm step-ring. This becomes an ultra-soft 100/2.5 optic. Ah, that romantic glow...

#2: I still haven't thought of lenses that sicken me, although I do tend to avoid variable-max-aperture MF zooms that aren't AF or A-type.

Last edited by RioRico; 05-10-2012 at 01:06 PM.
05-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Well, it's relatively slow (f/4) and certainly big for a 50mm lens, but my copy is about the sharpest lens I own with the most pleasing bokeh (beats the 31mm Ltd and 100mm Macro). Given that I am a rank-amateur with tilt-lens movement (who's Scheimpflug?), I frequently end up using it non-tilted and the sharpness and micro-contrast, even at infinity, is just breathtaking.
I'm going to have to try it I hear. Mine is pretty old (zebra, no MC), so we'll see. If it's good I might have to get a tilt adapter for it.

A great landscape lens that has frequently had me looking at medium-format film cameras (mmm... Exakta 66) just to get that wider angle.
I bought my P6 stuff to use with my Pentax 645, where 50mm is still fairly wide. I've never gotten around to using this one though, since I have both 45mm and 55mm lenses that work properly on the camera. (And two P6 bodies, but naturally they don't work particularly well.)
05-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Hey Rio,
No..No... No...
Its a kosher lens !!!
Its the Kodak Ekton 1:2 9~ 27 mm NASA cine lens at 9 mm with the macro ring in macro made.
The M4/3 sensor is in 6:6 aspect ratio and the lens does not cover the sensor.

Do I get today's prize?
What the prize?
05-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #26

Photos: Albums
This thread makes me so dissapointed that I don't have any strange or odd kit… I'm thinking about going hunting round shop backrooms for anything I can get my LBA ridden paws on. need some strange glass to play around with…

I would never buy a cheap-because-it's-cheap zoom. Or any zoom, really. unless I could be sure of it's IQ and build quality...
05-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Its a kosher lens !!!
Its the Kodak Ekton 1:2 9~ 27 mm NASA cine lens at 9 mm with the macro ring in macro made.
The M4/3 sensor is in 6:6 aspect ratio and the lens does not cover the sensor.
Kokak is kosher? Oy!

Maybe I should have mentioned my Bell & Howell Filmovara 15~25/1.2. It should do well on a Q.

QuoteQuote:
Do I get today's prize?
What the prize?
Your mind, on a platter.

QuoteOriginally posted by gilsouthwood Quote
This thread makes me so dissapointed that I don't have any strange or odd kit… I'm thinking about going hunting round shop backrooms for anything I can get my LBA ridden paws on. need some strange glass to play around with…
That's the spirit! Get a bellows. Dissect some old Polaroids, and junked MF folders and boxes. Disassemble some round eyeglasses. Try a Fresnal sheet, cut-out to fit in a filter ring. Motor vehicle lights have lenses too. Wail!
05-11-2012, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Door security viewer pushed through a hole hacked in a lens cap with a penknife and then place on the front of any old lens that it'll fit ! That gets some strange looks out on the streets.

What would I never own ? Any lens that costs money and is marketed to make your pictures look 'funky and cool' - Lomo for instance, I can do that stuff with any lens.
05-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I saw that hack on line quite a while back and though HMMMM I should try that then promptly forgot about it, thanks for the reminder, I still have to try this

Edit : and unlike your cool church shot this one doesn't exhibit fringing (the church OTOH has the most blue fringing i think i've ever seen)
05-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried this in about 1982-3 era. My attempt did not turn out as wellas this, I think I took one photo with it, that is all.