Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased the limited lens series....

I finally bit the bullet and burned a hole in my wallet....WOW... I bought the Pentax limited 15, 21 and 40mm series yesterday. I bought the 70mm a month ago and had it replaced because the aperture blades were sticky causing continuous over exposure by 3 stops.

Today, time for trying out my new set that essentially replaces my Sigma 17-70mm for the better quality photographic work. I have been using the 70mm limited for about a month. The one major difference of the 70mm compared to the Sigma @ 70mm, is that the bokeh is much calmer with the Pentax (both same aperture). The Pentax produces images that are slightly crisper.

After only a couple of test shots with the 15, 21 and 40mm in my living room last night, I noticed that the 15mm has hardly any distortions, which was impressive. I am thinking it will be great for taking panorama shots, where my software will have an easier time stitching the individual photos. I also got a polarizer and ND 8x filter that I can use on all lenses, since they all have the same filter diameter which is nice.

I will try to take some Sigma 17-70mm compared to Pentax limited shots and post them here. The Sigma is now my convenience lens and the Pentax series will be used for my high quality work.

More to come.....

05-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Enjoy your limiteds. Those are all fantastic lenses!
05-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Surprised OP didnt just go for the fa ltd as they are comparatively priced as the da ltd. better lens and future proof for the same cost. Any reason you didn't get fa?
05-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
Surprised OP didnt just go for the fa ltd as they are comparatively priced as the da ltd. better lens and future proof for the same cost. Any reason you didn't get fa?
He probably got them used or new but old price.

05-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

they are also more compact than FA lenses and 2 of them are wider so better suited to apsc. if you look at the comparison Adam posted on the 70/77 the DA stands up very well.

Apparently there is a new DA LTD lens case under development according to a post ned made. I like the idea of just attaching a tiny case to my strap and going out the door with all 4 ready to go
05-10-2012, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Surprised you even said something like this. The OP just spent a lot of money buying four DA Limiteds in a month. They obviously liked the 70 enough to get more in the same series. I prefer the FA Limiteds but I'm not going to question his purchase; in fact I'm excited to see some of his pictures when he reports back.
05-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
they are also more compact than FA lenses and 2 of them are wider so better suited to apsc. if you look at the comparison Adam posted on the 70/77 the DA stands up very well.

Apparently there is a new DA LTD lens case under development according to a post ned made. I like the idea of just attaching a tiny case to my strap and going out the door with all 4 ready to go
Hey Eddie, have you seen the existing DA Limited case for the three pancakes? I like the idea but I'm with you, it'd be better to have room for four because I think a lot of people skip out on the 21.
05-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Hey Eddie, have you seen the existing DA Limited case for the three pancakes? I like the idea but I'm with you, it'd be better to have room for four because I think a lot of people skip out on the 21.
the existing one is discontinued now AFAIK. that is likely why version 2 is being readied. I thought it was a really cool idea for those lenses. It would be nice if there was an FA LTD version too (they are after all pretty small just not DA small)

05-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes, an FA Limited case would be much better than my pocket to carry those!
05-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
I finally bit the bullet and burned a hole in my wallet....WOW... I bought the Pentax limited 15, 21 and 40mm series yesterday. I bought the 70mm a month ago and had it replaced because the aperture blades were sticky causing continuous over exposure by 3 stops.

Today, time for trying out my new set that essentially replaces my Sigma 17-70mm for the better quality photographic work. I have been using the 70mm limited for about a month. The one major difference of the 70mm compared to the Sigma @ 70mm, is that the bokeh is much calmer with the Pentax (both same aperture). The Pentax produces images that are slightly crisper.

After only a couple of test shots with the 15, 21 and 40mm in my living room last night, I noticed that the 15mm has hardly any distortions, which was impressive. I am thinking it will be great for taking panorama shots, where my software will have an easier time stitching the individual photos. I also got a polarizer and ND 8x filter that I can use on all lenses, since they all have the same filter diameter which is nice.

I will try to take some Sigma 17-70mm compared to Pentax limited shots and post them here. The Sigma is now my convenience lens and the Pentax series will be used for my high quality work.

More to come.....
Good for you. I have the set, too, though built up over three years. They have given me countless hours of pleasure. The Limiteds whether DA or FA are the lenses the K5 was designed for, imho.
05-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I hadn't even thought about purchasing old designs like those. I also like the DA limited focal length range better.

The one problem I am having now is that my aperture control of my K-5 seems to be malfunctioning. Whenever I stop down, beyond f/5 and f/5.6 it starts overexposing more and more as I stop down further and further (in aperture priority mode). Very frustrating, and I even had to pull out the batteries and put them back in because it stopped stopping down at one point, and even the DOF preview didn't work. My K10D doesn't have this problem, and I don't remember this problem in the past on my K-5. Sigh....
05-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I hadn't even thought about purchasing old designs like those. I also like the DA limited focal length range better.

The one problem I am having now is that my aperture control of my K-5 seems to be malfunctioning. Sigh....
Yes, the DA range is quite a bit wider compared to the FA Limiteds, but the old design comment made me laugh a bit. The FA 43 was the first of the Limiteds, released at the end of 1997. It didn't come in black until 2000. The second Limited, the 77, was announced in 1999. That doesn't seem old to me, especially compared to the DA 40, which shares the same design as the M 40/2.8 pancake. The DA 40 was released in 2005 I believe, not long after the FAs at all.

I'm sorry to read about your K-5 troubles, that would be very frustrating, especially when you have nice new lenses to try out.
05-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Yes, the DA range is quite a bit wider compared to the FA Limiteds, but the old design comment made me laugh a bit. The FA 43 was the first of the Limiteds, released at the end of 1997. It didn't come in black until 2000. The second Limited, the 77, was announced in 1999. That doesn't seem old to me, especially compared to the DA 40, which shares the same design as the M 40/2.8 pancake. The DA 40 was released in 2005 I believe, not long after the FAs at all.

I'm sorry to read about your K-5 troubles, that would be very frustrating, especially when you have nice new lenses to try out.
they implemented the design of the DA 40 much better than the mediocre at best M40 (which i kept about a week then got rid of)
05-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Yep, it surprises me how much the M 40 sells for and how many people are disappointed with it. I quite liked the DA 40 during the short time I owned it (bought it to compare it with the FA 43).
05-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

More to come.....
Congratulations on your big splash-out. I also have the 4 mini-DAs, and the Sigma 17-70. Actually the Sigma is pretty good, particularly if you are with other people and don't have time to change lenses. It's a bit on the heavy side though, and having upgraded to the relatively heavy (compared to K-x) K5, I'm glad to be attaching a relatively light lens to it. I'm very happy with the dead-on accurate way my DA quartet focuses with the K5.