Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Oh darn, that's the one I sold because it didn't pass my PF test! And the buyer was so happy to get it! If only I'd known. What a fool I was! That's what I get for ever selling PK-A-mount lenses. I'll never do THAT again!
Are you sure it was the Sear 135 with the extra macro zone? I have not found any fringing to speak of.

05-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Are you sure it was the Sear 135 with the extra macro zone? I have not found any fringing to speak of.
It had the twistable front element for going macro, like my PK-M (Tokina-made?) Access 28/2.8 'macro'. My PF test involves shooting a bright CFL that juts slightly from its solid shade atop some staggered shelves, giving me several extreme-contrast lines to inspect. Ah well, maybe such a lens will find its way to me again.
05-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I have the Sears 135 macro too and it fringes really bad. Otherwise a good lens. Someone mentioned it was weak in contrast. A lens hood improves the contrast a lot on this lens.

Regards,
--Anders.
05-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
I have the Sears 135 macro too and it fringes really bad. Otherwise a good lens. Someone mentioned it was weak in contrast. A lens hood improves the contrast a lot on this lens.

Regards,
--Anders.
I looked through my Single In album and I can't find any fringing to speak of.
https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/SingleInSeptember2011#

05-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Sears 135mm PKA mount is a decent budget lens but image quality can vary a lot from copy to copy. The unique feature is the varying level of softness that can be adjusted by the front close-focus ring. Basically this varies the amount of spherical aberration which contributes to the soft focus, diffusion filter effect. Like many other legacy MF 135mm lenses, it's a cheap lens so don't expect optical quality to be exceptional but a nice lens to play around.

Sears 135mm at nomal setting

Some softness at macro setting
05-13-2012, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bokeh smooth and cheap - how about a $5 adapter?
Buy a $5 blended mocha, then wash the lid. You can even select the area to be in focus! I tried this a few months back, but now cannot find the images. Might not be a good thing to confess in 'elite' company, but it does the job.

something like this
05-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Bokeh smooth and cheap - how about a $5 adapter?
Buy a $5 blended mocha, then wash the lid. You can even select the area to be in focus! I tried this a few months back, but now cannot find the images. Might not be a good thing to confess in 'elite' company, but it does the job.

something like this
+1 neat trick! Worry not about confessions. Whatever works, eh? My late bro-in-law was a painter and a police chief. He said, "There is no cheating in art." That's the law. Believe it. Obey it.
05-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I looked through my Single In album and I can't find any fringing to speak of.
https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/SingleInSeptember2011#
Nice shots there. You're right, they're quite fringe-free.
The worst example appears to be the stone birds in the lower left corner of no. 26. They have
some purple fringes. I'd have expected lots of fringing on no. 16 too, but it's clean.

I'll look through some of my old shots sometime. Maybe I have a bad copy of that lens.

Regards,
--Anders.