Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 03:08 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought I had my LBA under control, but a few days ago when I saw a Pentax-A 100/2.8 macro listed for a good price, I JUST COULDN'T HELP MYSELF and bought it. It's not as though I needed it, already having excellent 70 and 90 macros. But I got really lucky -- it arrived yesterday and turned out to be the non-macro version. Lucky because now I have no choice but to return it!

05-12-2012, 03:10 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Not something I even considered.

I do follow most of these type of threads, yet haven't bought a lens for several years now, perhaps I'm cured
Haha it was something that popped into my mind with the FA limiteds... but unfortunately I didn't even get one number in the lottery.
05-12-2012, 03:39 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Haven't seen a Viv 16 fish -- try the Zenitar 16/2.8.
Whoops. That's what I meant.

Now I'm hungry for ramen...
05-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #19
Emperor and Senpai

Original Poster
I've had a couple primes, but gave one away, the 50a f/2 and sold one, the Sigma 20 f/1.8, because I couldn't get sharp results from them. Maybe I should give primes another shot.

05-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I've had a couple primes, but gave one away, the 50a f/2 and sold one, the Sigma 20 f/1.8, because I couldn't get sharp results from them. Maybe I should give primes another shot.
These particular lenses are probably not the best representation of sharp prime lenses. So I would definitely consider having a look at some other primes. Any of the Pentax 50 1.7's seem to be sharp, especially when stopped down a bit.
05-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
These particular lenses are probably not the best representation of sharp prime lenses. So I would definitely consider having a look at some other primes. Any of the Pentax 50 1.7's seem to be sharp, especially when stopped down a bit.
I don't know about Sigma 20/1.8, but A 50/2 isn't what I'd call a good prime.
05-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Indeed. And I'm seeing a number of M50/1.7s listed FOR PEANUTS on eBay. Other very sharp primes include those listed as 'macro' (but not "macro zooms"); the tiny Industar-50/3.5; the Takumar 55/1.8 and 55/2, also going for very little $$$; the Toyo|TOU Five Star 28/2.8; and of course the Limiteds, but they're not exactly cheap.

For a different approach: I'm an enlarger lens (EL) perv. ELs, like macros, are designed for edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness. Used ELs are incredibly cheap; I've bought name-brand 75mm's at literally four for a dime. (Ten bucks, not ten cents.) ELs of 90mm or longer reach infinity focus on most bellows. ELs of 60mm and longer reach infinity on a fairly cheap (US$60) 15-31mm focusing helicoid, with maybe some cheap macro tubes as padding for longer ELs.

Good news: EL LBA is pretty damn cheap. Bad news: There are so MANY damn ELs around! For PEANUTS! Schneider, Leitz, EL-Nikkor, Vivitar-LU, Vega|Industar-U and -Y, Ilex, Komura-E, Ektar|Eastman, Rodenstock, Steihneil, Wollensak -- German, Soviet, USAnian, Japanese, wherever -- a Polish EL is on eBay right now, US$15 shipped from Bulgaria to California. That's rather at the high end for me -- my Leitz and Nikkor ELs averaged half that.

LBA is fairly painless in ten-buck chunks, eh?

Last edited by RioRico; 05-12-2012 at 09:34 AM.
05-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #23

I'ma gonna check those out

Good primes? My pentax K 55mm f2 is ridiculously sharp stopped down to f4.

Thinking about a bellows… hmmm...

05-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #24
Pentaxian

My LBA is well under control.. but not by me.

I am about to sell off most of my Pentax rig as I bought a D800E and need lenses for it. I might end up selling all of it but I'd like to hang on to the Pentax FF lenses I have.. just in case. LOL
05-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #25
Site Supporter

When the affliction is clearly in play, one cannot even do a speculative search. I'm thinking the budget will make room for a 15 in about a month (home refi, last one I swear!!). So I wander over to auctions-R-us, and there sits a make-offer Sigma 15, lens 1a after the $500-on-a-good-day DA15. Weelll... it's mine now. Guess I'll 'pay later' once the refi is done. Oops.. I mean hooray!