Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I'm sure this might be obvious but since it hasn't been noted explicitly.... wouldn't it be best to have two camera bodies in these situations? One dedicated for zoom lenses, the other for primes?
I wouldn't do any wedding (as a paid assignment) without two bodies. On these two bodies must be a fast wide-normal zoom (like a 16-50 or 28-75) and a fast telephoto prime or zoom (like a 100 or 135 prime, or a 50-135 or 70-200). You could certainly do a wedding with primes exclusively but you'll miss that versatility zooms give in such candid scenarios.

Similarly, I wouldn't do any paid assignment without lenses with at least f/2.8 capability. Weddings demand good results in often low light settings. So you must be prepared with the right gear for the job, including a couple of flashes, even a light stand and umbrella, as well as a double portion of spare batteries for each piece of equipment.

05-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you guys for so many replies.....that is some food for thoughts. 2 bodies are definitely a MUST! Now I have to consider if rather borrow a fast normal zoom for one body instead of (20)31-43 combo.....and go with 70 (or 77) on the other body.
05-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #18

I also wonder which lens I should keep to shoot wedding right now. Now I have trio Limited and 16-50,55* and 50-135,too. However, I really want to keep trio and sell other 3 DA* to safe money. But how can I shoot wedding with Trio. I am using K5 and K200D. Could you help me, please
05-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
.... And considering the number of people snapping away, with flash at that, with their own cameras, and the ordinary sounds of the wedding, there is no way this should be a concern at all.
Shouldn't be, but it is. A few years ago, I shot 4 weddings in a summer (a lot, for someone who does not take money). In two of them I had heads snapping at the sound of a K20d spinning a DA 40 on its screw drive. One of them was even outdoors. It prompted me to buy my first and only SDM lens to shoot the fourth.

05-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #20
Pentaxian

FWIW, I've been shooting wedding for 40 years with prime lenses. I tried zooms a couple of times, perhaps 10 years apart, and each time, put them back in the bag. Anyone who says you have to have zooms for a wedding either hasn't ever shot a wedding or isn't an especially competent wedding photographer.
Weddings are highly predictable events, and a photographer who is so careless as to be in the wrong place at the right time isn't going to get the picture, zoom or no zoom.
05-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #21
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes and no, Wheatfield. Of course wedding photos can be planned and primes will exclusively do the job just fine. If a photographer is not looking for any more than these predictable shots, then this will not demand a lot of quick adjustments. Unpredictable candid moments at the ceremony and the reception may be missed or captured suboptimally if the focal length you're after to get the shot is not on one of your cameras (eg. A distant couple greeting the bride whilst you were focused on the groom elsewhere may have required 150-200mm of reach whilst the two bodies were mounted with 31 and 77mm primes at the time).

But then, each photographer has a unique style even within each type of coverage: reportage/documentary, formal, casual/informal, etc.
YMMV
05-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
FWIW, I've been shooting wedding for 40 years with prime lenses. I tried zooms a couple of times, perhaps 10 years apart, and each time, put them back in the bag. Anyone who says you have to have zooms for a wedding either hasn't ever shot a wedding or isn't an especially competent wedding photographer.
Weddings are highly predictable events, and a photographer who is so careless as to be in the wrong place at the right time isn't going to get the picture, zoom or no zoom.
Not everyone (even yourself I guess) has that kind of competence from the begining. It takes many years training and experience to reach your level. If we can't make the shot w/ primes, better make it w/ a zoom. There is nothing wrong with that. From my own experiences (much less than yours I'm sure), for wedding photos the quality isn't the most important, but those once-in-their-lives moment is more important.
05-14-2012, 08:00 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Way to take a nice, helpful thread into something inflammatory. Really, way to be hostile.

There are plenty of very competent wedding photographers who use zooms. There are also plenty who use primes. And there are those who choose to use every tool, prime and zoom, available to them. No one said anyone HAD to use zooms, but it was a suggestion for some of the unpredictable and/or inflexible moments of the day.

Of course, lens are only one part of being able to shoot a wedding. As others have mentioned, you need to think about having at least two bodies...you have to have a backup even if you aren't going to shoot with both. And back up lenses. And fast glass for when you aren't able to use flash. And more important than anything you have to have a solid plan for everything. You have to know when all of the moments are going to be so you can get the shot.

What I find really hard to believe is that in 40 years of shooting weddings nothing unpredictable ever happened at any of them. The weddings you shoot must be very boring.

05-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Shouldn't be, but it is. A few years ago, I shot 4 weddings in a summer (a lot, for someone who does not take money). In two of them I had heads snapping at the sound of a K20d spinning a DA 40 on its screw drive. One of them was even outdoors. It prompted me to buy my first and only SDM lens to shoot the fourth.
I didnt say focusing doesn't make a sound - just that sound is unavoidable. On most DSLR's the sound of the shutter (mirror, actually) is far louder than the sound of screw drive, so heads will turn no matter what. And again, whether or not *you* make a sound, others will, so while it might make you a little self-conscious, it really isn't going to matter in the grand scheme of things.
05-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #25
Site Supporter

I'm debating on whether to get the DA* 50-135 or the Tamron 70-200 to use at a wedding this summer. For those who have used the Tamron 70-200, is the focusing noise "loud" on a K-5? Could it be a distraction at the ceremony?

I'm also considering getting the Tamron 28-75 to mount on my K-r.
05-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The sound of the AF is much less than the sound of most shutters (well, the mirror slap), although the K-5 may be the one exception in Pentax-land.
Only because the K5 and to some extent the K7 are very quiet shutters. The K10 on the other hand could wake the dead with the shutter, but I agree with the rest of your comment, that the camera noise is not an issue at weddings. if someone is really concerned though about camera noise, then a K5 with a bag of MF lenses would be the quietest thing going
05-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Way to take a nice, helpful thread into something inflammatory. Really, way to be hostile.

There are plenty of very competent wedding photographers who use zooms. There are also plenty who use primes. And there are those who choose to use every tool, prime and zoom, available to them. No one said anyone HAD to use zooms, but it was a suggestion for some of the unpredictable and/or inflexible moments of the day.

Of course, lens are only one part of being able to shoot a wedding. As others have mentioned, you need to think about having at least two bodies...you have to have a backup even if you aren't going to shoot with both. And back up lenses. And fast glass for when you aren't able to use flash. And more important than anything you have to have a solid plan for everything. You have to know when all of the moments are going to be so you can get the shot.

What I find really hard to believe is that in 40 years of shooting weddings nothing unpredictable ever happened at any of them. The weddings you shoot must be very boring.
You want advice, take it the way it is presented. Sorry if I'm not fawning enough for you.
If something unpredictable happens, I haven't done a very good job of predicting things.
05-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #28
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bgdisc Quote
I'm debating on whether to get the DA* 50-135 or the Tamron 70-200 to use at a wedding this summer. For those who have used the Tamron 70-200, is the focusing noise "loud" on a K-5? Could it be a distraction at the ceremony?

I'm also considering getting the Tamron 28-75 to mount on my K-r.
The two Tamrons are my chosen zooms for weddings and their AF ability is swift and accurate. Sure they're loud as most other screwdriven lenses but that's of little concern to me. I use the tools that get the job done. Those lenses are workhorses.
05-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #29
Veteran Member

there are wedding pro only use zoom and there are pro only use prime