Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

Macro Converter for Primes

I have these lenses :
Primes : DA 15 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, FA 43 Ltd
Zooms : DA*16-50, DA* 50-135

I need a macro converter for any of these lenses (preferably, Primes)
what adapter/converter should I buy, to achieve best possible Macro shots, second only to dedicated Prime lenses.
please suggest !!!!

05-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Extension Tubes or Bellows - Unless you're willing to drop 200+ for some good Diopters.
05-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMHO, you'd be better off with a cheap manual macro lens, such as the M 50mm F4.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
IMHO, you'd be better off with a cheap manual macro lens, such as the M 50mm F4.
^Or that. Not like AF ever works quite like you want it to with macro.

05-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Extension Tubes or Bellows - Unless you're willing to drop 200+ for some good Diopters.
Diopters are huge.....I need compact option........price not an issue

Last edited by civilian; 05-12-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: wrong post
05-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NitinGoyal Quote
price not an issue
D FA 100mm is your answer.
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
05-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Diopters are huge? Not sure what you might have these confused with, but the sort of diopters used in macro photography - often called "close up lenses" - are tiny. Certainly much smaller smaller than extension tubes or anything else you might be thinking of when you refer to "macro converters". The Raynox 250 paired with the FA43 would give you somewhere between 1:1 and 1:2 magnification, I believe, for around $50, in a package that is about the size of an Oreo cookie. I believe Marumi also makes reasonably priced achromatic diopters.

Normally, though, these sort of close up lenses are used with telephoto lenses, not normal and shorter, because a telephoto lens allows you to use a less strong diopter and thus get a longer working distance for the same magnification. And unfortunately, your one telephoto lens may be too large to work with any easily available close up lenses.

05-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html

With the lenses you have, your basic options are:

1) Extension (especially tubes) behind the lens
2) Dioptres (closeup optics) in front of the lens
3) An actual macro lens instead of what you have

The optically cleanest results come from 1-Extension or 3-MacroLens. The cheapest approaches are 1-Extension or 2-Dioptres. All have their pros and cons, which I cover in the article above. There are also different behind-the-lens or front-of-the lens variable macro adapters|teleconverters (TCs). The problem with any additional optics (dioptre or TC) is some loss of image quality (IQ). The problem with any behind-the lens solution (extension or TC) is loss of AF and aperture control except with costlier hardware.

Also, short focal lengths require working very close to a subject for macro (1:1) magnification. Your 15mm is unsuited for macro work. Your 31mm and 43mm could be used for studio work. For field work, you'd want something longer than 75mm. Again, I explain this in the article. Good luck!
05-12-2012, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Diopters are huge.....I need compact option........price not an issue
Diopters or achromatic lenses are the most compact option, as they attach to the front of your existing lenses. Having said that, the first four lenses in your arsenal are not ideal candidate for attaching achromatic lenses to them, a moderate telephoto lens with relatively flat field is ideal. If you say price is not an issue, just buy a dedicated macro lens like the Pentax DF A 100/2.8 macro lens. This will give you maximum versatility in terms of attaching a ring flash to the lens or an achromatic lens to increase magnification beyond 1:1.
05-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Diopters are huge? Not sure what you might have these confused with, but the sort of diopters used in macro photography - often called "close up lenses" - are tiny. Certainly much smaller smaller than extension tubes or anything else you might be thinking of when you refer to "macro converters". The Raynox 250 paired with the FA43 would give you somewhere between 1:1 and 1:2 magnification, I believe, for around $50, in a package that is about the size of an Oreo cookie. I believe Marumi also makes reasonably priced achromatic diopters.

Normally, though, these sort of close up lenses are used with telephoto lenses, not normal and shorter, because a telephoto lens allows you to use a less strong diopter and thus get a longer working distance for the same magnification. And unfortunately, your one telephoto lens may be too large to work with any easily available close up lenses.
I wanted to say "BELLOWS"......Raynox 250 spec shows it to be suitable for 52mm to 67mm filter size. whereas FA43 is 49mm. will it fit ? is there any option to get 1:1 magnification ?

Read a review of Raynox vs Marumi. and is stated Raynox as better option
05-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
Great article Rio !!!
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The problem with any behind-the lens solution (extension or TC) is loss of AF and aperture control except with costlier hardware.
curious to know, which (costlier) hardware you think minimize loss of AF and aperture control.
05-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Diopters or achromatic lenses are the most compact option, as they attach to the front of your existing lenses. Having said that, the first four lenses in your arsenal are not ideal candidate for attaching achromatic lenses to them, a moderate telephoto lens with relatively flat field is ideal. If you say price is not an issue, just buy a dedicated macro lens like the Pentax DF A 100/2.8 macro lens. This will give you maximum versatility in terms of attaching a ring flash to the lens or an achromatic lens to increase magnification beyond 1:1.
you guys are pushing me to get 100mm macro
suggest a good achromatic lens for this lens
05-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Not me, no! I am cash strapped and I only shoot with MF lenses. I am using an Olympus IS/L A-Macro H.Q. Converter f=40mm, a 2.5 diopter close-up lens, f=400mm, with 49mm filter mount. I don't know about others but this one doesn't have a female filter thread for mounting a ring flash or other accessories to the front of the lens (limits versatility). I've used this in the past with my Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 72B, 90/2.8 macro lens for quick and easy means to achieve greater magnification than 1:1 but I don't use it much, there aren't too many things I want to get closer to than 1:1.
05-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I wanted to say "BELLOWS"......
Bellows aren't necessarily huge. My M42 Bellowscope is quite compact, extends to 110mm and weighs just 230g. With a lightweight 105/3.5 enlarger lens mounted, I feel a great sense of freedom.

QuoteQuote:
Raynox 250 spec shows it to be suitable for 52mm to 67mm filter size. whereas FA43 is 49mm. will it fit ? is there any option to get 1:1 magnification ?
The rear thread of the Raynox optic is 43mm. I use a 49-43mm step-down ring to mount my Raynox DCR-250 onto 49mm-thread lenses.

QuoteQuote:
Read a review of Raynox vs Marumi. and is stated Raynox as better option
I think that is the consensus, yes.

Great article Rio !!!
Thank you, thank you. As I mention there, any closeup optic, whether a corrected achromat like a Raynox or Marumi (Canon and Olympus also made these), or an uncorrected meniscus like those cheap +1+2+4dpt sets, shortens the focus distance. With a +4.8dpt Raynox DCR-150, working distance is about 16-20cm. For the +8dpt DCR-250, it's about 12-13cm.

Magnification depends on host-lens focal length. M = F*D/1000 where M is magnification, F is host lens focal length, and D is dioptre of the add-on lens. So with your DA*50-135 @135mm, you'd get these magnifications:

* DCR-150: 4.8*135/1000= ~0.65x
* DCR-250: 8.0*135/1000= ~1.15x

QuoteQuote:
curious to know, which (costlier) hardware you think minimize loss of AF and aperture control.
AF-type tube sets are rare and expensive, and AF isn't your friend when shooting macro. A-type tube sets, which retain aperture automation, are also fairly costly. One trick is to buy old A-type teleconverters and remove the glass. They then become A-type tubes. 2x TCs are usually around 25mm thick, so two of them behind a 50mm lens (like your zooms @50mm) give 1:1 magnification.

Be aware that any extension eats light. At 1:1, any lens loses 2 f-stops. An f/2 becomes effectively f/4. Raynox and other closeup dioptres do NOT cut into the transmitted light.

Modern 90-100-105mm macro lenses go to 1:1 magnification so you won't need an achromat -- unless you want to go FURTHER!! My test with a 90mm macro plus the Raynox DCR-250 shows that at full extension it reaches 2:1.

Here is my take on modern AF macro lenses: They are great general-purpose tools, good for general tele work and very sharp headshot portraits as well as macros. If you need a general short tele, the DFA100 macro or its ilk are very tempting.

But I'm a cheap bastard; my M42 Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro cost me all of US$3 shipped. (I had to replace its decayed focus grip -- with DUCT TAPE!) I use that and my other 'macro' lenses (28-40-50mm) mostly for close work, not general shooting. I do much of my macro and general work with cheap ultra-sharp enlarger lenses on extension. Great cheap fun!

Last edited by RioRico; 05-12-2012 at 01:54 PM.
05-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
But I'm a cheap bastard; my M42 Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro cost me all of US$3 shipped. (I had to replace its decayed focus grip -- with DUCT TAPE!) I use that and my other 'macro' lenses (28-40-50mm) mostly for close work, not general shooting. I do much of my macro and general work with cheap ultra-sharp enlarger lenses on extension. Great cheap fun!
Guys like you don't need expensive gear to click great pics, but some guys can't produce even an average picture with the best.
I am not saying this about me, though
I can click better than average

Thanks Rio once again. People like you are simply awesome. you can go to any extent, to help people regarding their query.
Pentaxforums rocks !!!! thanks to you guys