Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax SMC 50mm F1.2 on a Canon

Hey guys,

Just wondering what cameras this lens can be mounted on?

There are adaptors to Canon mount but I can only find info on the crop sensor range, nothing on full frame.
Are there anythings I should be aware of? as I wanted to try it out on a couple of Canons, (600d and 5d mark II)

Cheers

Scott

05-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Hey guys,

Just wondering what cameras this lens can be mounted on?

There are adaptors to Canon mount but I can only find info on the crop sensor range, nothing on full frame.
Are there anythings I should be aware of? as I wanted to try it out on a couple of Canons, (600d and 5d mark II)

Cheers

Scott
Hi Scott,
i read somewhere that on fullframe Canon bodies the mirror intereferes with the Pentax aperture lever - so either mirror has to be shaved or lever removed. I'm not sure about this exact lens though...
Here's the list of few Pentax lenses and their modifications to fit Canon 5d:
Compatibility list of M42 lenses on Canon EOS 5D dslr
but Pentax 50/1.2 is not there...
05-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Hi Scott,
i read somewhere that on fullframe Canon bodies the mirror intereferes with the Pentax aperture lever - so either mirror has to be shaved or lever removed. I'm not sure about this exact lens though...
Here's the list of few Pentax lenses and their modifications to fit Canon 5d:
Compatibility list of M42 lenses on Canon EOS 5D dslr
but Pentax 50/1.2 is not there...
Yeah that's what I was thinking might be the case, the EF-s mount cameras have a smaller mirror than the EF mounts so I guess that's the determining factor.
05-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I bought my 50mm f/1.2 from a Canon shooter who had two. Sadly, I could only afford to rescue one of them.

05-13-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
haha yeh I won't be chopping one of these beauties just for the sake of using it on a 5D rest assured
05-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
haha yeh I won't be chopping one of these beauties just for the sake of using it on a 5D rest assured
Yeah but there are plenty of Canon fanatics, including ex-Pentax users with no qualms to dismember a Pentax lens for use on the EOS 5D, f/1.2 notwithstanding.
05-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Yeah but there are plenty of Canon fanatics, including ex-Pentax users with no qualms to dismember a Pentax lens for use on the EOS 5D, f/1.2 notwithstanding.
As an engineer, I am one to believe there is always another way.

In some previous pokeing around in the pentax k 28mm f3.5 I noticed you can remove the matte black section of the rear mount (whick has a bit the protrudes beyond the actual silver part to protect the aperture lever) and removing the aperture lever were also seemingly possible without crippling the aperture mechanism. Although that is based on memory, but I wasn't looking at that during the cancer removal operation. If this were the case I might be able to remove those components to later replace them if needed..maybe... just a thought.
05-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

As an engineer, I am one to believe there is always another way.

In some previous pokeing around in the pentax k 28mm f3.5 I noticed you can remove the matte black section of the rear mount (whick has a bit the protrudes beyond the actual silver part to protect the aperture lever) and removing the aperture lever were also seemingly possible without crippling the aperture mechanism. Although that is based on memory, but I wasn't looking at that during the cancer removal operation. If this were the case I might be able to remove those components to later replace them if needed..maybe... just a thought.
Why would they even bother to open up the lens when they just cut off the aperture linkage... no fuss and no finesse required and no going back. There are plenty of such dismembered Pentax lenses out there that have acquired junk status due to such treatment. Remember the people using such mutilated Pentax lenses are CANON camera users, they aren't gonna care two cents about using a Pentax camera.

05-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I tried to adapt my a50 f1.4 so I could undo it if I ever wanted, but the aperture was held on by little rivets instead of screws(maybe the f1.2 is different?). The aperture lever guard is just plastic and is easily trimmed off with a razor knife. There was no other option to have my old 50mm on FF digital so I went and did it. I think it looks real good on my 1dsii.

05-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Fortunately, my K50/1.2's prior owner had an m4/3 system, not EOS, so the aperture lever was only shaved a little, and it still functions perfectly on PK mounts. Whew.
11-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #11

5D K mount problems

Hi, I'm new to pentax forums, but I mistakenly tried using an adapter to put a Pentax K mount lens on my Canon 5D Mk II without cutting off the aperture lever thing and I don't know if I damaged my camera. I looked at both mirrors and they look fine; I can't see any visible scratches or cracks, but can anyone help me figure out if my 5D is okay?
11-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I use my 50 1.2 my 5D regularly. I didn't cut off the lever, I just unscrewed the back ring of the lens and removed the lever completely. Super-simple and completely reverseable.

It's nice to use it on a bigger viewfinder... but an even brighter EVF would still be a whole lot nicer. And without a flopping mirror, such surgery wouldn't be neccesary at all.
11-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #13

5D Mk2 owner with 50mm1.2 and 80-200mm 4.5

Hey guys,

I was digging around my parents basement recently and I found 2 lenses:

SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1:1.2 <--same lens discussed in this thread?
SMC Pentax-M zoom 1:4.5 80-200mm

I found the same lens on amazon for $40, so I don't think it's worth a ton of money, but I'd love to adapt it for use on the 5D Mark 2. I like the idea of just taking off the back ring and removing the aperture lever, is it really that simple tho? Then, should I just purchase the $15 adaptor on amazon? Such as: Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Pentax K Mount (PK) Lens to Canon EOS Camera Adapter, for Canon EOS: Electronics

Thanks for your replies!
11-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

As far as I know, the 50/1.2 only came as a K lens, not an M. Is it maybe an M 50/2?

SMC Pentax 50mm F1.2 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
11-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zaxabesh Quote
SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1:1.2 <--same lens discussed in this thread?
SMC Pentax-M zoom 1:4.5 80-200mm
If you have a "pentax SMC 50mm 1:1.2" then yes it's then lens I was talking about, but if it is "Pentax SMC M 50mm 1:2" then it's another lens but same principles should apply.

NOTE: There is no such lens as an SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1:1.2, there were only SMC 50mm 1:1.2 (sometimes called K 50mm 1.2) or SMC A 50mm 1:1.2. The 1:2 has a max aperture of F2 (cheap and common) where as the 1:1.2 has a max aperture of F1.2 (expensive and less common).

QuoteOriginally posted by zaxabesh Quote
I found the same lens on amazon for $40, so I don't think it's worth a ton of money, but I'd love to adapt it for use on the 5D Mark 2. I like the idea of just taking off the back ring and removing the aperture lever, is it really that simple tho? Then, should I just purchase the $15 adaptor on amazon? Such as: Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Pentax K Mount (PK) Lens to Canon EOS Camera Adapter, for Canon EOS: Electronics
I am not sure of the construction of the lens you have, but most of the M series have pretty simple construction so I don't think it would be too hard.