Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How many lenses do you own?
1 10.33%
2 - 3 113.63%
4 - 5 3210.56%
6 - 8 6220.46%
9 - 11 5317.49%
12 - 15 4414.52%
16 - 20 289.24%
21 - 25 216.93%
26 - 30 154.95%
31 - 40 134.29%
41 - 50 41.32%
51 - 75 82.64%
76 - 100 41.32%
101 - 150 41.32%
151+ 30.99%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
True ... Most of buyer do this.

05-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I think it's our duty to make sure they haven't bought that feature in vain, and infect them with LBA.
Sure. If they have one lens with interchangable body, then I rather say it's a good start with lots of potential
05-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

currently 27 all used within the last year. (and i've sold a few)
05-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I seem to be the odd one out here with only 7 lenses currently.

I've been on a mission of sorts lately - I've bought and sold quite a few lenses over the past year or so because of my need to try them out for myself to see what I actually want and like. To satisfy my needs, I've found I really like super sharp glass in the more high end lenses. So now that I have a taste for those more expensive lenses, I've been slowly selling off the more "consumer" type lenses and acquiring just a few higher end. Due to the expense of these higher end lenses, I am only keeping/acquiring a select few focal lengths that suit me the best.

05-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #35

Wait... How did I ever get to 33 lenses?

Oh well, just a few more to go until I have all I need...
05-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
People with one lens are healthy people. They don't need to visit this forum

I think Henri C Bresson had 1 or 2 extra lenses he would take on his shoots. He said he seldom used anything but his normal lens.

Last edited by slackercruster; 05-14-2012 at 06:25 AM.
05-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #37

Strictly Pentax only...
the Kit zoom (which i have taken less than 10 shots)
plus FA31 Ltd (now close to 11K shots) and
will take delivery of FA77 from bhphoto tomorrow.....
I have a bunch of Nikkor, Zeiss, Leica and Voigtlander.... but not for Pentax.
05-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
I've got 8 or so. And two mountain bikes.
In the mountain bike world, there's an equation that you use to work out how many bikes you need.
The equation is N + 1, where N = the number of bikes you have.
I reckon the same principle could be applied to lenses.

Regards

2 MTB's? That is great!

I got 4 MTB's plus wife's bike she does not ride = 5 MTB's.

Problem with getting rid of them is they suck at holding any value and they are hard to sell around here. I think I could be happy with just 2 of them though.

I built up / pimped out a folding Mantague MTB for my trailer. Then got a truck camper and it wont go on the ladder bike rack. So just bought a new 2011 Trek 6000.

My full suspension bike wont go on the ladder rack either, so had to get something decent for the trips. My ladder rack will hold about anything, but if bike is not put vertical I can't open my door to the truck camper.

Got 4 dirt bikes too. 3 were mine 1 was wife she does not ride any longer. Yep, too much crap. But they all have their uses. The 450 is like a hot sexy gal with a Ferrari body. Exhilarating...but if she gets stuck in the mud, she overheats, is tempermental and is useless. My wife's 100 is very dependable. Not fun or exiting to ride. But it is good for trailblazing with a chainsaw in a backpack. And the middle 2 bikes fit in someplace in between.

edit...here is a poll for you with the MTB's!

http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/how-many-mountain-bikes-do-you-own-788692.html

Last edited by slackercruster; 05-14-2012 at 01:39 PM.
05-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #39
Veteran Member

13 lenses at present (assuming TC's don't count)

9 of the current Pentax line (6 prime, 3 zoom) most of these are used regularly
only 1 50mm used occasionally

only 1 Sigma (not used in 9 years)
only 1 FA zoom (not used in 9 years)

I don't think i'll ever get beyond 15 lenses (anyone believe me? )
05-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

Where's the "Not Enough" choice?
05-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, you can compare your stats to some of the non Pentaxians....

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-equipment-products/283858-how...o-you-own.html

From a guess, I'd say the Pentaxians are more lens crazed than non Pentaxians? What do you think?
05-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
From a guess, I'd say the Pentaxians are more lens crazed than non Pentaxians? What do you think?
I think Pentax glass is way cooler then the others, that's why we want more of them. And it has pixie dust, so...
05-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #43
Lens Buying Addict

16 in my Profile, which are the ones I admit to owning.

There are 12 more lenses on a table, waiting to be photographed for sale, that have been waiting to be photographed for something like 12 months.

The actual lenses on the sale table change from time to time. I think I really have some lenses in a cabinet and some more lenses on a table.
05-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #44
Veteran Member

An inventory sheet would help logging useage.
I log many things, but not lens usage. That's just TOO anal OCD.

You can vote here if your a member Rio. As I said, had no idea anyone wanted that many lenses, except maybe a dealer. I thought it would be overkill going up that high.
I'm trying to register there. Hmmm, it's taking quite a while... Yeah, I'll throw off their curve! As for dealing: I'm a dealer because I have lotsa lenses, not vice-versa. When I have sufficient lenses, I'll stop dealing. Maybe. Or I'll sell other stuff instead. The spice cash must flow.

QuoteOriginally posted by c-meier Quote
One of my worries is, I don't know where to keep them safe: A couple of years ago, I lost a lot of gear to an earthquake and subsequent theft.

What precautions do you take? Do you keep your lenses in locked safes, fire-resistant boxes, cabinets or something similar? Or do you rely on insurance?
I avoid living on alluvium in seismic areas. And my home doesn't look worth robbing. But if I relocate to San Francisco for awhile, I'll definitely have to consider those risks. My sister had great security in New York City: She lived above a mafia funeral parlor. NOBODY bothered the premises. If I go to SF, I may have to rent a safe. And a coral snake.

QuoteOriginally posted by Weber Quote
Oh my god, don't tempt me! Those sound tempting indeed, especially if they can still be used on enlargers (I do film/ wet darkroom work from time to time, usually in borrowed darkrooms)...

I will need an M42 adapter, and we all know what a classic gateway drug that adapter is
Yes, camera-adapted ELs can still be used in enlargers, unless you've done something WEIRD with them (like gluing a macro tube onto a nonstandard body). And yes, M42 and M39 adapters are indeed the gateway to paradise. Once you slide through, there is no return...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Question: Must the lens actually work ... ie, junkers, tear-downs & future "projects"?
I count enlarging-projection-copy-xray-etc lenses, TCs, tele-wide-fish adapters, lenses that can be mount-adapted... but not junkers nor loose optics that aren't usable, they're logged as trash. So my Meyer Trioplan 100/4.5 elements removed from a shutter assembly count, because I can reassemble them on the right threaded tube. But the lens I pulled from a Polaroid Swinger doesn't count, not until I mount it on a body cap, at which point it WILL count. And I count my Raynox, but not meniscus closeup adapters.

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
In the mountain bike world, there's an equation that you use to work out how many bikes you need.
The equation is N + 1, where N = the number of bikes you have.
I reckon the same principle could be applied to lenses.
Dead on. The corollary of "You can never have too many lenses" is "you can never have ENOUGH lenses".

BTW in the software world we had the Standard Estimation Algorithm: Make your best estimate of time required for a project. Multiply by three. Move it to the next time unit. So if you think some code may take 2 hours to write, you can be pretty sure that it won't take much more than 6 days to complete.

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
People with one lens are healthy people. They don't need to visit this forum
They're probably posting pictures, not discussing lenses.

I think Henri C Bresson had 1 or 2 extra lenses he would take on his shoots. He said he seldom used anything but his normal lens.
And some toggers adhere to: few lenses, many cameras. Hay, long ago, when my only camera was a 1934 German Kodak Retina, the first 135 camera, I was limited by its excellent Schneider 50/3.5 lens, 1-500 Compur shutter, no RF -- and I got some nice shots by moving around a lot. I also missed many more shots. Oh bother.

Jerry Uelsmann was renowned for only shooting an Argus C3 with the Cintar 50/3.5 lens. Some other noted shooters of the 1950s-60s-70s did the same. But their shots were just source material for extensive darkroom work: Uelsmann might use 24 enlargers to build one image, 'way back before PhotoShop. So, different strokes for different folks, eh?

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Where's the "Not Enough" choice?
Somewhere before the "Too Many" option.
05-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have 4 camera systems, 5 if you count a stray Canon AE1 I don't really use. (It's in my trade box.) Each one of those systems, except for the Nikon one (which I'm just getting started on and still need a decent MF body for) has a wide angle, a portrait lens, a 50mm and a zoom. In the case of the Pentax I have both M42 and K mount for all those. I have about 15 Pentax lenses all total, mostly older MF ones but I do have 4 relatively inexpensive AF lenses. Probably as many split between the other kits, but it's mostly Yashica stuff. I don't really consider that too many because I actually do use them mostly. I mostly shoot Pentax either digital or film, but I do take out the Yashica stuff quite often. I like my FRI and the Yashica glass is nice. Most of my lenses were $5-20 lenses or I got them free or in trades. The most I've ever spent on a lens I think was $60. I don't feel too guilty about what's in my kit. My LBA is fairly well under control. It's not like I'm out there buying $500 lenses....