Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #1

Worry about getting a bad copy of 16-50mm lens

Hi all:

I just got a Pentax DA16-50mm superwide to normal lens. Due to many people complain about the image quality of this lens such as soft edge, back focus, distortion. I shot two photos using DA 12-24 and DA 16-50 to see any difference. To my surprise, they look almost identical. I would like to post the photos here to let all of you to see if there are any image quality issue in my new lens. Both of photos are shot with F2.8 with lens wide open (12MM and 16MM). If you see any probelm in lens, please post your findings so I can return it to the store.

Thank you

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A shot like that isn't going to reveal any flaws- I'd follow these steps to test the focus, and also shoot a pic of a test chart or brick wall:
Fixing Front and Back Focus - LensAlign MkII - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good stuff, my copy is insanely sharp at all focal lengths. We must have both gotten lucky ;D

Enjoy the lens, it's absolutely fantastic.
05-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Optically, the DA*16-50 is very good, especially considering that it goes all the way to 16mm and has a constant maximum aperture of f2.8. However, I am sorry to report that after three years, my copy just fell victim to SDM failure. This happened while I was traveling in Yosemite National Park. Fortunately, the lens still functions perfectly in manual focus mode, and using "catch in focus," I don't think that I missed a single shot. Still, the lens will be off for repair as soon as I return home.

Rob