Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #1

I’d like to achieve macro of the magnification in this video. How can i do it?

The photographers name is Thomas Shahan and i feel his photos are absolutely stunning.

Here is the video im referring to but i will also post a direct link to his website gallery if you don't want to watch the video (the pictures in the video are on his website)

Video:

His website:
http://thomasshahan.com/photos

These macro shots (in my opinion) are simply amazing. In his video he claims that he is using a prime lens with some simple spacers, in addition to a very home-made looking flash system. When you watch him taking shots he is obviously manually focusing the lens which leads me to believe maybe its of the older variety? This idea infinitely excites me, knowing that someone (of great skill no doubt) can produce pictures like this without spending tons of money on lenses.. I haven't seen any macro lens reviews that get this close to subjects. Even 1:1 lenses that i have looked at in the reviews section don't get you quite as close and intimate with the critters as he has achieved. Though I lack the skill to take beautiful shots like these, If i wanted to give it the old college try on my new K-r, what would i want to purchase? Keeping in mind his mentality that you don't need to break the bank to do macro...

Thanks.

05-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Those are probably 100 photos stacked...
05-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the definitive article on cheap macro by riorico.
QuoteOriginally posted by dmbaile2 Quote
he claims that he is using a prime lens with some simple spacers
I am sure he is, AFAIK there are no 'zoom' macro lens that will let you get anywhere close to 1:1 most are 1:4 or thereabouts
he is obviously manually focusing the lens which leads me to believe maybe its of the older variety
Not necessarily, auto-focus is not your friend when it comes to macro. I have a DFA 100mm f/2.8 which is an AF lens but rarely use it as AF when doing macro. Manually focusing is more precise in this case.
what would i want to purchase? Keeping in mind his mentality that you don't need to break the bank to do macro
Read the article quoted above, that should answer your questions. Simply put a good start is a prime lens, perhaps 50mm and some extension tubes (spacers). But as you will see by reading the article there are many different ways to do macro.
05-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Great video you linked to. I love that guy's work (Thomas Shahan) and respect his persistence.

EDIT: jatrax beat me to it with the link to RioRico's cheap macro article.

05-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the video I believe he states he is using a reversed 28mm lens on extension tubes.
Yes there at the 50 second mark.
These are examples, I don't vouch for any of these sellers this is just to give you a starting point fir your search.
http://bit.ly/KeOUxl
http://bit.ly/KeP5sv
http://bit.ly/KePfzW

Last edited by crewl1; 05-13-2012 at 06:25 PM.
05-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
It went straight over my head when I initially watched it, but yes, indeed he says exactly how it is set-up. And he is using a Pentax!! lol, I apologize for my newb-ness.

I grabbed a handful of lenses off of Craigslist the other day and I have an Auto Chinon 28mm 1:2.8. I noticed there are no reviews for this lens unfortunately so I don't know if it is any good.

But if i buy a set of spacer rings and a lens reverser i would have a similar set up to what he is using correct?
05-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Now i watched it. AMAZING!
He didn't stacked?

05-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lens is being used in reverse so standard reviews do not apply. If you have something to play with get the missing pieces and start playing.
Another good source is the thread 'macro by any means necessary' here on this forum.
Have fun.
05-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't believe he us stacking as the depth of field is too thin like in the robber fly and horsefly shots. If he stacked he'd get more of the critter in focus. He also states his shots are of live critters. To stack you'd have to freeze or kill em so they'd stay still for the stack.
His secret or non secret is at 1:50. Sheer volume of photos to find the good shot.
05-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh also- the flash and diffuser are very important. You need good light to keep your shutter speed up
05-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another great video is this one by our own Yeatzee
05-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are two K mount "Reverse Adapters" from Pentax - a 49mm and a 52mm
They have a threaded side, and a K-Mount side.
You take a lens - usually a 50mm manual - and thread it onto the adapter in a reverse manner.
You can use the lens that way - without any extension tubes, or use extension tubes to get even MORE magnification.

Here you see just the 50mm on the camera - my K5

Last edited by LaurenOE; 05-13-2012 at 07:19 PM.
05-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The lens is being used in reverse so standard reviews do not apply. If you have something to play with get the missing pieces and start playing.
Another good source is the thread 'macro by any means necessary' here on this forum.
Have fun.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/143202-macro-any-means-necessary-club.html

Don't believe he us stacking as the depth of field is too thin like in the robber fly and horsefly shots. If he stacked he'd get more of the critter in focus. He also states his shots are of live critters. To stack you'd have to freeze or kill em so they'd stay still for the stack.
His secret or non secret is at 1:50. Sheer volume of photos to find the good shot.
I've talked to him before, he does both but nothing to deep usually. Definitely not anywhere near the likes of Nikola Rahme or John Hallmen. And you definitely dont need to do either to get stacked images of living bugs. Patience.

going through my flickr my most recent examples (9 months ago and older)

14 images of a living lynx spider. They sit still all the time if your patient and your approach isn't to obtrusive.

15 of a fly.... hard but possible.

etc.

20 handheld of a jumper. Depending on the species they'll hunker down for a bit every once in a while
Oh also- the flash and diffuser are very important. You need good light to keep your shutter speed up
Probably the most important thing in macro shooting. And shutter speed is more or less irrelevant with a good flash setup. I often shot at below 1/40 with no issues.

Another great video is this one by our own Yeatzee
My new setup - YouTube
Im not on here often but every once in a while I "hear" my name and check in a bit. The video is pretty old but can be helpful to others i guess. I dont shoot anymore but I still know a decent amount about the field and am willing to answer any specific questions people have.

Last edited by yeatzee; 05-15-2012 at 01:31 PM.
05-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I dont shoot anymore
Sad to hear - hope it is due to school.
05-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Here is the definitive article on cheap macro by riorico.
Thanks for the plug!

QuoteQuote:
AFAIK there are no 'zoom' macro lens that will let you get anywhere close to 1:1 most are 1:4 or thereabouts
I could cite the Schneider Betavaron enlarger zoom, but it still needs extension (tubes or bellows or helicoid) to go macro. However, standard zooms with aperture rings can be used as real macro-zooms when reversed. Any 28-80mm zoom should work, so long as its front inset isn't too deep. With those I've tried at close-focus, I get about 2.5:1 at 28mm and about 1:2.5 at 80mm. And at 80mm, focus can extend past infinity.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
There are two K mount "Reverse Adapters" from Pentax - a 49mm and a 52mm
Such PK mount-reversal rings are churned out by a few Chinese foundries and sold cheap (around US$5) on eBay. I've had no problems with mine, in 49-52-55-58mm. A frugal person might just get one of those and a set of step-rings. Be aware that step-ring thickness will alter magnification very slightly.

Depending on your working distance and ambient light, you may need a hood on a reversed lens. Just get a cheap PK macro tube set and use a section of it on the forward-facing bayonet.

Last edited by RioRico; 05-16-2012 at 08:45 PM.