Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CZJ Flektogon 35 2.4 - Repair, Sell, or Keep?

So,

Today while in town, doing my usual round of charity shop window shopping, I walked past cashconverters (like a pawnbroker type shop), looked at the lenses they had to see if anything new had cropped up, and saw this little M42 lens sitting on top of a little pyramid of lenses. "I know that red lettering...", I thought to myself. Couldn't see much because the sticker was in the way, and they'd put 35/24 on the sticker or something anyway. So I asked to have a look. Damn. Blades not moving, focus was a little stiff, and whatever I tried the lens just wouldn't stop down. Glass looked ok though.

Now being an idiot and not knowing much about theses lenses I gave it a miss. I have a CZJ 135 3.5, but didn't know anything about this one.

Thought nothing of it and went to grab a cup of tea. While I was there in the caffe I pulled out my phone, got on the free wifi, and decided to do a little search. "Hmmm this looks interesting, mflenses.com states it's one of the best macro lenses ever made... wonder how much it's worth." Went to ebay... 100 bid listings...100-200 buy it now...I nearly dropped my cup of tea as my jaw dropped. I gulped it down and dashed off back to the shop. I casually walked back in and asked to see it again, pretended to look at it once more for a few seconds, and bought it while trying to hide the big grin on my face. How much for? Ten, fine English pounds. Yup, 10.

The question now is, what do I do with it!? For all I know someone could have tried a repair previously and the aperture blades might not even be there, because I cant see anything move when I turn the ring, in either the A or M position. The stop-down pin does go stiff when in auto and can be pressed down, but it still doesn't stop-down.

How much would it be to get it repaired? Repair it and then sell it? Worth selling it as spares? Repair it and keep it? Or try to fix it myself?

What do you guys think?

Woj

05-15-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey, I've done similarly stupid things myself. Good thing, you could always use it wide open. Still a very nice lens for 10 pounds. As for the aperture blades, yes, you played chances a bit, they may not be still present, but on the other side, they may just be gummed up and stuck. I guess the only way to tell is to take it apart.
Not worth selling it, in my opinion - too great a luck to kick it. Best try to repair it yourself, you don't need to be especially mechanically inclined, just have a little patience and the right tools.
05-15-2012, 04:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the lens fixed if it cost as much.
You can actually make some money and save a lens at the same time.
But of course it depends on the fixing cost.