Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone know where I can FIND a Tokina AT-X 28-80 f2.8?

This is the lens I'm talking about:

Tokina AT-X 280 AF PRO 28-80mm f/2.8 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Also looks like it was sold on here once (second item down):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/48798-sale-sold-tokina-20-35mm...0-300mm-f.html

Now when I found out this existed, I got very excited - because I really liked my Tamron 28-75, but two things about it could have been improved: the build quality (though I am not really a stickler, Tamrons light lenses please me too) - and reach. Now I know 5mm extra isn't much, but it's better than nothing - in fact I'd really like a 40-115 f2.8 because to me the 50-135, whilst beautiful, just starts that little bit too tight.

So anyway, I got excited - and then disappointed, when I couldn't find one being sold new anywhere. Second hand was no go either for now, but I feel like surely it should still be available new somewhere out there?
The most recent reviewer in the 3 reviews said that they bought the newer version (I've read it's lighter than the older one) but for Pentax. I can only find ONE store available to Australia who sell it, and it's only in Canon mount. Anyone help me out?

Thanks.

05-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Quazimoto,
It is a hard to find lens, but an ebay shop called 'Matsuiyastore' located in Japan has them once in a while and is where I got my copy. They are a LOT heavier then the Tammy, but are also a tad sharper and more contrasty. The extra 5 (or 10mm over the other Tokinas) makes a slight difference, but with the sharpness of the Tokina lenses, you can crop a lot heavier.