Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
How about the Adaptall 90/2.5 macro + 2x teleconverter?

IIRC, I paid about $170 or so for the Adaptall adapter, the lens, and the teleconverter all together (in separate purchases), and while it becomes a 180/5.0 lens and is MF, it's fairly sharp and cheap.

05-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There are a lot of bug shooters out there using the DA 35 LTD macro. Go over to the Pentax Photo Gallery if you don't believe me.
All my mantids go away when I get that close. Maybe I need to shoot on colder days.

QuoteQuote:
The other cool thing about the 35 and 50 focal lengths is they can be used for other things quite nicely.
Oh yes, I use my Kilfitt Makro Kilal E 40/3.5 and Macro Takumar 50/4 (1x) for various stuff -- but usually not for live bug shoots in the field. And they're also tricky to manually focus in the 1m-infinity range because they have such short throws there.

Last edited by RioRico; 05-16-2012 at 11:13 PM.
05-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #18
Site Supporter

I have an A50/2.8 macro; got lucky and picked it up for the equivalent of 40USD. Excellent lens, works well with flash too, being an A-type lens.
05-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
How about the Adaptall 90/2.5 macro + 2x teleconverter?

IIRC, I paid about $170 or so for the Adaptall adapter, the lens, and the teleconverter all together (in separate purchases), and while it becomes a 180/5.0 lens and is MF, it's fairly sharp and cheap.
Yes, I have 2 different versions of it. The convertor is actually a flat field converter. There is also a 1:1 adapter for it that gets it to 1:1 at 90mm. The 2x gets it to 1:1 at 180mm. I mention that because some try to put the K-mount on the lens and use any old 2x.

Last edited by Blue; 05-17-2012 at 05:00 AM.
05-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
All my mantids go away when I get that close. Maybe I need to shoot on colder days.

Oh yes, I use my Kilfitt Makro Kilal E 40/3.5 and Macro Takumar 50/4 (1x) for various stuff -- but usually not for live bug shoots in the field. And they're also tricky to manually focus in the 1m-infinity range because they have such short throws there.
Work on eliminated excessive and sudden movements as well as shadows. The working distance on lenses isn't measured from the front element but the film or sensor plane. That means the tube length at 1:1 or what ever ratio worked from has to subtracted from the lenses working distance spec to estimate the front element distance to the subject. I know you know that, it was for the OP or others new to macro.

The trick with the 1:1 macro Tak 50/4 is to get it close by prefocus and fine tune it with a macro rail.
05-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #21
Site Supporter

If you are willing to spend $250-300 get the Tamron SP 90 Macro. You may have to get the older 172E version but it is the same thing, just not classed up with the new DI casing. I am getting mine today and I picked it up for $270 shipped NEW. The Tamron 90 on other sites scores just as high if not higher than the Pentax 100. The Pentax 100 is a better build and the WR is flat out sexy and makes it pretty hard to say no to. Both of those lenses are sharp sharp sharp.
A guy on the forum was selling his FA 100 Pentax Macro for $180 because the AF was bad. If you want to do all macro - get it, manual focus is the way to do it anyway. That is a good price.
05-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for all the great thoughts. I was able to pick up a Pentax 50mm f4 macro on cragislist for $50. I'm excited to start using it, but hearing everyone go on about the new WR 100mm I'm really tempted to save a bit and pick it up. Maybe I'll go rice and beans for a few weeks to soften the blow!
05-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
Sigma 50mm f/2.8 does not cost a moon. Has a focus limiter, quite ok at daily situations, not very sharp at 2.8, has some CA. Would not buy again, though.
Unlike Kent, I have been very pleased with my Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro. Working distance at 1:1 is tight due to short focal length, but I have been happy, overall, with the results. I would refer the reader to the Photozone.de test of this lens for sharpness and CA data. I pain $236 USD new for my copy and don't know that I could do better at that price point, even used.

Steve

05-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Yes, I have 2 different versions of it. The convertor is actually a flat field converter. There is also a 1:1 adapter for it that gets it to 1:1 at 90mm. The 2x gets it to 1:1 at 180mm. I mention that because some try to put the K-mount on the lens and use any old 2x.
I think a Tokina EL 2x TC could be considered as any old 2x TC and it delivers 1:1 magnification coupled to Tamron SP 52BB (close enough). I tried the same thing with Tamron F 2x TC and I was able to get a little bit closer. I guess the slightly longer 7 element TC also affects the magnification.
Attached Images

05-19-2012, 04:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
The FA 100/3.5 (and a matching two element adapter, which is in fact a universal close up filter of 49 mm diameter) is great optic. Build is plastic but optics are great. There're third party equivalents (Cosina, etc) that are exactly the same sans the coatings. Wonderful optic for like USD 150 or so.
I have the Promaster-branded manual focus version I bought from another forum member for $65. It's downright terrific in every respect. If you get it, just make sure the 1:1 adapter is included. From what I've heard, the adapter is optically matched for this specific lens... so it may give you better results than a standard closeup lens. In any case, results with the original adapter attached are excellent.
05-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by umeuph Quote
Thanks to everyone for all the great thoughts. I was able to pick up a Pentax 50mm f4 macro on cragislist for $50. I'm excited to start using it, but hearing everyone go on about the new WR 100mm I'm really tempted to save a bit and pick it up. Maybe I'll go rice and beans for a few weeks to soften the blow!
I did the same. I got the M50/4 macro and then I got the DFA100WR (almost got).

I was debating between the M100/4 and the DFA but chose to get the DFA on the used market before the prices rose too much.

Last edited by abacus07; 05-19-2012 at 06:12 AM.
05-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
Sigma 50mm f/2.8 does not cost a moon. Has a focus limiter, quite ok at daily situations, not very sharp at 2.8, has some CA. Would not buy again, though.
Wow, that's disappointing. My Sigma 50 was equal in IQ to the Tamron 90 so I let the tammy go. The 50mm macro was a better fit in my kit and gets a lot more use than 90mm, which is a focal length I have covered with 2-3 other lenses. I find f/2.8 acceptable though my copy definitely improves further up the scale, and CA has been quite rare. Sorry your experience was such a bummer, kent.
05-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I think a Tokina EL 2x TC could be considered as any old 2x TC and it delivers 1:1 magnification coupled to Tamron SP 52BB (close enough). I tried the same thing with Tamron F 2x TC and I was able to get a little bit closer. I guess the slightly longer 7 element TC also affects the magnification.
The mag with 2x tc should be the same. However, there could be a slight difference from one model to another. However, my point on the TC was that a flat field TC is the best to use and most cheap 2x tc are not flatfield. Also the matched tube gets it to 1:1 at 90/2.5 and keeps the controls.
05-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #29
Veteran Member

See if you can snag a Promaster Spectrum 7 100mm f3.5 Macro lens. It's autofocus, reasonably fast for the focal length, and sharp as a tack! It's also relatively inexpensive. I paid around $100 for my copy. It's a copy of the Pentax version of this lens, without the diopter or SMC coating. Really great lens, it's one of my favorites, and I use it for everyday shooting as well as macro work.

Charles.
05-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by umeuph Quote
As a recent K-5 adopter, anyone have a favorite budget(ish) macro lens to recommend? I'm mainly looking to shoot flowers, insects, small animals on an upcoming trip to Costa Rica. I'm trying to be budget minded, but I also want some good glass. Any thoughts are appreciated!
what is the "Budget(ish)" to begin with???

I have a lot of different macro options available, all under (at the time I got them $150 cdn.

Lets begin with S-M-C Macro-Takumar 50mm F4 plus full set of extension tubes and a 15-30mm focusing helix for a whopping total of $105 canadian. Then I have a Schneider- Kreuznach Componar 135mm F4.5 enlarging lens mounted on a miranda bellows, with the rear 4 claw bayonet modified and a flanged M42-K attached to give a detachable from the bellows K mount. Total outlay for all the bits & pieces $129 CDN. The most expensive by far, but only because bought in the 1980's was an SMC-M 100F4 and full set of vivitar auto extension tubes for about $220 in 1986 (today you could get teh same for about $100-$150.

All three of these works very well, gives better than 1:1 macro, but the bellows is by and far the easiest to use because the bellows comes with a sliding tripod mount so that the complete assembly can be moved in / out without relocating the tripod, to achieve rough focus at the desired magnification, and then fine focused with the focusing rack and pinion

I also have a vivitar 2x macro focusing Teleconverter that can convert any 50mm lens into a 1:1 macro set. that cost about $30, there is a PKA version that is very useful but more expensive.