Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #1

What is the difference between KA and K mount?

Hello,

I recently bought a K-5 and and buying some old lenses, but I am new to photography and don't really know what I am doing yet. I am looking on ebay for some lenses and I came across a KA mount lens and am wondering if it is a K mount type.

05-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this site explains it perfectly Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

bottom line ka means the automatic aperture setting with manual focus and k is both manual focus and manual aperture setting
05-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

The KA mount is the second generation of the K mount and allows for the camera to set the aperture. A lens with a KA mount is preferable over a plain K mount because it makes all exposure modes of your K-5 work as was the lens a modern DA lens. You just need to always have the aperture ring on the lens set to the "A" position.
05-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
bottom line ka means the automatic aperture setting with manual focus and k is both manual focus and manual aperture setting
Correct except it assumes that ebay sellers have a clue about what they are selling. Some do, some do not. Be very careful buying anything on ebay if you do not know what it is. Do not assume the seller knows. Ask here if you need help, someone can usually tell you what you need to know.

I have seen sellers use PK, PKA, K, KA all interchangeably because they do not understand the sometimes subtle differences.

05-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
The page that was recommeded is very good, but the K and KA mounts are categorized differently. So will a KA mount fit the K-5?
05-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephries Quote
So will a KA mount fit the K-5?
Yes, ever lens made by Pentax and for Pentax cameras will fit your K-5. Some need an adapter for using screwmount lenses. But the bottom line is, they all work.
05-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Yes, ever lens made by Pentax and for Pentax cameras will fit your K-5. Some need an adapter for using screwmount lenses. But the bottom line is, they all work.
Also, there are two types to be wary of. Some Vivitar (mostly) lenses have an oversized aperture linkage shield which prevent mounting the lens. Some Ricoh (mostly) KAR lenses have the bothersome "Ricoh pin" that can cause the lens to jam on the camera. Both are easily removed; the lenses are then quite usable.
05-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All lenses with the letter "K" in the mount physically fit. The only differences has to do with what sort of automatic features might be available - "A" means autoexposure is supported, "F" means autofocus is supported.

05-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have to be careful of Konica AR mount lenses as well. Sometimes they are listed as KAR or K/AR.