Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Origineelreclamebord Quote
So how about the K-mount lenses that were sold with the film cameras at the time (or sold seperately at the time for those film cameras)? Surely those have to be FF, or at least not have any of the vignetting issues the current lenses may have on those film cameras?
I think you seem to be confusing lens and camera series, mounts, and full frame vs APS-C format

These lenses obviously are full frame.

As others have said, check the compatibility chart.

05-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So how about the K-mount lenses that were sold with the film cameras at the time (or sold seperately at the time for those film cameras)? Surely those have to be FF, or at least not have any of the vignetting issues the current lenses may have on those film cameras?
Yes, of course. That's why I specifically mentioned DA lenses - which is to say, the lenses specifically designed for DSLR's - as the ones that would cause problems. The lenses sold during the the film days were *FA* (or other earlier series). Pentax pretty much stopped introducing new FA lenses years ago. So the only "modern" lenses that are FF-compatible as are the small handful of lenses marked D-FA, and as mentioned, a couple of DA lenses that *do* happen to provide decent coverage for FF even though they aren't advertised as such. As I believe I mentioned earlier, there is a thread here somewhere showing samples so you can see for yourself which DA lenses might perform acceptably on FF (sometimes they only vignette a little, or only a certain aperture, or certain focal lengths for zooms, etc).
05-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #18

Original Poster
It's starting to make sense to me now, as I just found out DA and FA aren't actual mount differences, but differences in what the lens is compatible for... I feel pretty stupid now, it's kind of a "DOH!" moment

So there are actually still enough FA lenses in Pentax's lineup... Am I right to think that the current FA lenses from Pentax have all the automatic functions working on the DSLR's too?

I'll start digging into the forum soon for that lens review thread then to find out what (DA) lenses could work with a film camera I should have earlier, but there's so much on my to-do-list, and it will take another month for me to get enough money to get a new body anyway.
05-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

So there are actually still enough FA lenses in Pentax's lineup... Am I right to think that the current FA lenses from Pentax have all the automatic functions working on the DSLR's too?
Yes, for both the FAs still in production, and also FAs and Fs out of production but commonly available used. These all work well on dSLRs and compatible film bodies.

05-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Am I right to think that the current FA lenses from Pentax have all the automatic functions working on the DSLR's too?
Yes, all three current FA lenses work fine on DSLR's - any lens with "A" in it's name has the necessary automation.
02-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FYI, there ARE new K-mount film bodies out there. They're not made by Pentax, but you can buy one. Cosina made a very nice one, the C1s. It is also sold as the Quantaray "Dakota RZ-2000" branding by Ritz camera. It has the following features:

Support for film ISO 25-3200
Mechanica shutter - batteries only used for light meter
1s - 1/2000s shutter speed
1/125s flash sync
Bulb mode
Takes Pentax remote shutter release cable
Integrated mechanical self timer
Split prism focusing screen
LED light meter
PC Terminal connection
LARGE viewfinder with 93% coverage (Meter covers part of the viewfinder, which is why this is lower than it would be otherwise)
Metal tripod mount
Intuitive and automatic shutter lock! (you can't accidentally take a photo when the camera is in a bag)
Lightweight plastic body
Inexpensive

It's manual focus and manual metering. It's basically a Pentax MX with a lot more usable shutter speeds, and you can buy it new or nearly new.
I bought the Dakota version from Ritz camera a few years back for $23. They go on eBay for around $50 all the time.

If you're lucky, you can even find a white one sometimes.

Also, the C1 is the same as the C1s, but without the self-timer.

Charles.