Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Lense Question..

curious about smc P-FA 31mm F1.8 LTD lense.. What do many people here use this lense for. What is so special about it..

ABC

01-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ABCWinter Quote
curious about smc P-FA 31mm F1.8 LTD lense.. What do many people here use this lense for. What is so special about it..

ABC

Sharpness, build, bokeh, 3D rendering - all amazing. I owned it for a short time, but found the focal length to disagree with me. I'd still have it otherwise.
01-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

just a high quality fast all metal lens

appeals to both film and digital users

and on a digital camera gives a proper "normal" field of view, basicaly with it, you will see through the camera as if you the camera is not there (ie, if you keep one eye open while the other kept to the view finder it will be almost as if there is no camera there)

but its an elite lens, as the image quality that it offers over that of either the FA35 or the 43 limited is not justified by its price (double), but there is no denying that its as good as it gets for Pentax primes.
01-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I find that I like it best for closer work (not macro though). All of what they other folks said is true, including the comment about the high price. The sharpness is excellent and it really it like the camera isn't there when you are looking at the pictures. It's fast, takes wonderful pictures, and I love it. That said I'm still trying to convince myself that it's worth the price. I do know that it will hold it's value, so I'm not in any big hurry to sell it off.

01-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

a very good alternative is the FA35 in terms of usability and field of view, since its already very sharp at 2.0 compared to all the other lenses at the same aperture.

also, the thing about paying less for lenses is that you are less worried about braking and or losing them, which someways could improve your photography, since wont be worried about falling somewhere trying to get a cool shot.

if someone was to rob me on the street tommorow with my entire bag of equipment of 6 lenses, i wouldnt feel bad considering it all, including the camera, cost less than my friends Canon 70-200 f2.8 USM lens! hahaha.
01-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #6

I use my 35mm f/2 for low-light interiors, street scenes in the evening.
01-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ABCWinter Quote

ABC
On a DSLR it is close to 50mm standard lens, the build quality is excellent, it's fast so it's great for low light/natural light shooting.
It's tack sharp even wide open & oh yeah, it looks cool!