Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
enjoying the other 15mm

Pentax shooters nowadays have two nice choices at this focal length: the DA15 Limited and Sigma's fisheye. It's hard to argue against two lenses with great reputations, but the differences are clear. Each of us will put a 'price' on those differences and choose the right lens. Even the price no longer suggests a favorite. Both have 7 aperture blades and neither are weather sealed. Superlatives abound on the internet for both.

On the DA side of things we have less field curvature, quick-shift, filter threads and those features that make Limiteds so beloved. It's a bit smaller and 100g lighter. On the Sigma side we have full-frame coverage, f/2.8, an aperture ring and 1:4 closeups. The fisheye effect on aps-c is muted but still quite evident near the edges and on strongly-tilted compositions.

I had hopes of picking up a DA15, but the Sigma came up at auction with a 'make offer' option - I made an offer (at least $100 below the going rate on a used DA15) and it's now on my K-5. I am quite impressed and expect to get a lot of use from it. Very nice starpoints with minimal flare, great sharpness and color, and closeup abilities are great fun. It's definitely a keeper and will distract me from the DA15 - for a while at least.

color, contrast, and curvature all at once -

05-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That is a great 'often overlooked' lens!
05-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Congratulations! The Sigma 15 Fisheye is a bit of a legend in fisheye circles and well worth shooting with. Now all you need is a FF body to go with it for some real fun!

Steve
05-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This weekend I'll be using my 'new' Pentax ME SE (leather wrapped!) - batteries are in and film in hand. Should be interesting with several lenses, but especially the fisheye!

05-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
This weekend I'll be using my 'new' Pentax ME SE (leather wrapped!) - batteries are in and film in hand. Should be interesting with several lenses, but especially the fisheye!
You are gonna have fun. I like my Zenitar 16 fisheye on APS-C and love it on 35mm film. It is just TOO MUCH FUN!

Here is a tip...take it to the east end of the Fremont Bridge, the support piers at waters edge are publicly accessible... (LINK)

Steve
05-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are gonna have fun. I like my Zenitar 16 fisheye on APS-C and love it on 35mm film. It is just TOO MUCH FUN!

Here is a tip...take it to the east end of the Fremont Bridge, the support piers at waters edge are publicly accessible... (LINK)

Steve
Neat shot of the bridge from a new angle - thanks! Your alternate flickr shot looks like it was taken the same place as this one - but I used the 55-300 and punched it up in PP.
05-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Neat shot of the bridge from a new angle - thanks! Your alternate flickr shot looks like it was taken the same place as this one - but I used the 55-300 and punched it up in PP.
Overlook Park?

That is a pretty impressive tele shot!

Steve

05-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
enjoying the other 15mm
Then I've got the other other 15mm, the SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5

Is FF, is Rectlinear, but is manual focus.

But as I say in my profile here on the forum "Currently having an illicit affair with my SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5."

Kinda says it all really.