Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron 300 mm 2.8

Friend has a Tamron 300 2.8 for sale , I'm rather interested in the lens but not sure which version it is so I need some clarification.
FWIW There are at least three manual focusing versions of this lens , The conventional focusing versions labeled Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 LD, and the two internal focusing versions, labeled Tamron SP 300 mm f2.8 LD IF. Apparently The two IF versions are the olive green model 60B ?

would there be an advantage in buying the IF version in that it would make focusing easier . is there also a need for a Katzeye or Split screen of a K-5 . my eye sight has given up the ghost so any aid would be helpful.

05-18-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Friend has a Tamron 300 2.8 for sale , I'm rather interested in the lens but not sure which version it is so I need some clarification.
FWIW There are at least three manual focusing versions of this lens , The conventional focusing versions labeled Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 LD, and the two internal focusing versions, labeled Tamron SP 300 mm f2.8 LD IF. Apparently The two IF versions are the olive green model 60B ?

would there be an advantage in buying the IF version in that it would make focusing easier . is there also a need for a Katzeye or Split screen of a K-5 . my eye sight has given up the ghost so any aid would be helpful.
I forget the first model number but note that for this lens the 38mm rear filter was an afterthought and the optical design was done without this filter. The lens is sharper without thenfilterninstalled, the later versions were the 60B and 360B, I forget which came first now, but the last and best vision is quite rare by comparison. I thought all three were internally mfocusing but I could be wrong, the 60 and 360 definitely are however.

The lens is best used with a PKA adaptor to provide full aperture control, and the is considerable purple fringing when shot wide open. I tried one and found it no better really at a useable aperture to my K300/4.
05-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Lowell , from memory when I was around his place and saw the lens in flesh it was olive green so could be the 60B or 360B, and would I be able to easily obtain a PKA adaptor from a camera store ? Finally if it is of the later version and in really good condition what would be a reasonable price for this lens ???
05-18-2012, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Thanks Lowell , from memory when I was around his place and saw the lens in flesh it was olive green so could be the 60B or 360B, and would I be able to easily obtain a PKA adaptor from a camera store ? Finally if it is of the later version and in really good condition what would be a reasonable price for this lens ???
Hard to say on price. As for adaptors they are available used on line, not sure how many stores have the adaptors any more as they have not been produced for quite some time.

When I was looking, the middle (most common version) was selling for between $600-$1100 Canadian. To pay full price it should also come in a case with rear 2x teleconverter, compatible mount, 112mm Tamron MC front filter, 38 mm rear filter in the slide in tray and strap and be in really good condition.

I passed on the one I looked at when it was priced at $1100. Since then, if you follow the forum, you will have seen I now have a Tamron 200-500F5.6 that is a beast.

Check the 300mm+ lens club and the Adaptall club for guidance

05-18-2012, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

There were a few sold in the Marketplace here last year. The 60B is the Olive painted one the 360B is black.

800 - 900 seemed to be the going rate for one in good condtion with the options intact.

112mm front filter
43m rear filter (this one is essential)
140F 1.4x converter
there is also a rarer 200F 2x converter
it works with the other 2x converter the 01F but the 200F is supposed to be the better one.

occasionally they come up on fleabay often with paint missing, cosmetic damage only, but maybe going under 700.

here's the webpage if you hadnt seen it.
Tamron Adaptall-2 SP Series Lenses

There is also a similar Tokina ATX 300 2.8 which goes for about $700

The similar Nikkor 300 2.8 is the only one with AF and its over $2K !!!! (nikon only of course)

I was seriously considering and bidding on these last year but changed to a DA*300. I figured the Gimbal mount i'd have to buy for the Tamron would be about $500 so thats the $ difference and now I have AF, just 1 stop higher iso, and my Biceps and Trapezius muscles are grateful.
05-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've just confirmed with him it is 60B ( olive green ) . from his Reply I don't think he has any TC or the filter options available, if this is the case I would have to let this one go to buy all the extras seperately may cost me up around or 1K. but if his offer is still reasonable then I may snap it up anyway and sell it again at a profit.
05-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

you need to confirm the presence of at least the filter holder for the rear filter. the lens is designed to work with a filter installed.

As for the need of a gimball head, I am not so sure it is needed, especially if yo pair the lens with a SMC 1.7x AF TC, but the 500 price suggested here is a little high. I use a Jobo Jr for my 200-500 and it cost just over 300 at B&H. Of course, a 300/4 you can easily hand hold. With the 300/2.8 a monopod is a very good idea.
05-18-2012, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

This site will help you sort out the adaptalls:
adaptall-2.org

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
As for the need of a gimball head, I am not so sure it is needed,
I would highly recommend a gimbal type head for this lens. I had it for almost a year and used it primarly with the 1.7x AFA. I did not have a gimbal then and since I have used my gimbal with my other long lenses I can attest that the gimbal is idespensable. It allows you to have one hand dedicated to the focus ring and the other on the camera grip/shutter button while the lens is completely supported by the gimbal and the tripod. Also since the front element is heavy with all that glass a longer lens plate allows you to balance the lens and it will move freely on the gimbal.

You can get gimbals on ebay for 100-150 dollars that are very good.

The tamron 300mm is very sharp and I recommend it.

05-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
This site will help you sort out the adaptalls:
adaptall-2.org

I would highly recommend a gimbal type head for this lens. I had it for almost a year and used it primarly with the 1.7x AFA. I did not have a gimbal then and since I have used my gimbal with my other long lenses I can attest that the gimbal is idespensable. It allows you to have one hand dedicated to the focus ring and the other on the camera grip/shutter button while the lens is completely supported by the gimbal and the tripod. Also since the front element is heavy with all that glass a longer lens plate allows you to balance the lens and it will move freely on the gimbal.

You can get gimbals on ebay for 100-150 dollars that are very good.

The tamron 300mm is very sharp and I recommend it.
No denying a gimbal head is a nice accessory, the question I have, is whether committing the lens to being tripod bound is going to cut it's use, relative to a 300/4. As I said, I ultimately am just as happy staying with the K300/4, and using the higher ISo performance of the newer cameras. The lens plate, however is a good idea regardless of what support you use to better center the weight. My 200-500/5.6 took a 100mm plate to move the CofG back to the mid point. Without that plate any support is useless. The lens plate would makentheb300/2.8 very easyntomuse even with a monopod.
05-18-2012, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've just confirmed with him it is 60B ( olive green ) . from his Reply I don't think he has any TC or the filter options available, if this is the case I would have to let this one go to buy all the extras seperately may cost me up around or 1K. but if his offer is still reasonable then I may snap it up anyway and sell it again at a profit.
I have been using a 60B for three years (or so) now. You definitely need the rear filter. If it is missing, you would need a rear filter with the appropriate glass thickness and a small enough mount (many filter mounts are too wide and won't fit through the slot). B+H used to sell these Tamron filters separately. The front filter is also quite desirable. It reduces fringing and thus helps to increase sharpness. If you do a search in the web, there has been an extensive discussion on the web with loads of measurements in an Olympus forum (if I remember correctly) and improvement through the front filter were significant.

When I got my 60B this filter was missing but I could obtain one from Tokina, which fits the bill just as good.

The 60B is quite easy to focus manually, thank to the large aperture. It works extremely well with the Pentax L telecoverters. I prefer these to the Tammys, because with the original Tamron tcs you would have to remove the adaptall mount from the 60B, when you mount the tc. That is annoying.

The adaptall PKA mount adapter can only be found secondhand, aka ebay or the like, as it is out of production since... how long?

If you can get the lens for 500 USD, the rear filter will set you back another 40 bucks (that was the last price I saw for the original Tamron one) or even less. I use a Hama HTMC UV-filter instead, which has the exact correct glass thickness and the mount is thin enough to fit the filter slot. The front filter will be more costly, you find them usually around 100 USD on ebay. But you can take your time and wait for a good opportunity. The 60B has a massive lens hood, which will offer good protection for the front element, which reduces the need for the front filter a bit. And the slight loss of sharpness will be of no importance at the beginning, because you will be hard pressed to get any sharp image without a very solid tripod... I needed a couple of outings until I started to produce sharp images with that or any longer lens. - Anyway, it is a good investment and you would be extraordinarily lucky to find a cheaper fast tele lens.

For a tripod: use the sturdiest modell and most massive head, you can afford. I mean, that is a sensible investment anyway, but it is really a MUST for any long and heavy lens. Though I also have the Manfrotto gimbal mount (cheap and good), I use the 60B mostly with a ballhead, either the Manfrotto Proball 468 or an Arca Monoball. These are stury enough to support this lens with any of the tcs I may use with it.

Ben
05-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Ben

I am interested in your comment about the front filter also adding to the sharpness. Go back a couple of pages in the 300 mm lens forum and you will see a shot I took with my 200-500/5.6 and some flare/reflections

I still need to track down the cause but I am leaning towards the Tamron front filter. I would be interested in your comments
05-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

No denying a gimbal head is a nice accessory, the question I have, is whether committing the lens to being tripod bound is going to cut it's use, relative to a 300/4.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/173969-pentax-560mm-18.html#post1823620

This post has a link to some pictures that shows one way to use it, if you have lens plates that are compatible with your monopod and tripod you can move from one to the other easily and then hand hold if you need to. I am in the process of getting all my supports arca compatible with plates and clamps and I think it is the way to go.
05-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/173969-pentax-560mm-18.html#post1823620

This post has a link to some pictures that shows one way to use it, if you have lens plates that are compatible with your monopod and tripod you can move from one to the other easily and then hand hold if you need to. I am in the process of getting all my supports arca compatible with plates and clamps and I think it is the way to go.
I am thinking about the same thing, changing themmonfretto plates for acra Swiss ones
05-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm about to do the same conversion from Manfrotto RC2 to arca swiss.

In case you didn't know, and have a Manfrotto head, here is an ebay seller that makes a conversion - since I have a Manfrotto 468 head, I'm lucky that he makes one for it:

Lens Plates, Camera Plates and Clamps items in Hejnar Photo store on eBay!
05-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Ben

I am interested in your comment about the front filter also adding to the sharpness. Go back a couple of pages in the 300 mm lens forum and you will see a shot I took with my 200-500/5.6 and some flare/reflections

I still need to track down the cause but I am leaning towards the Tamron front filter. I would be interested in your comments
You didn't address me, but I'll chime in here. It seems to be a particular oddity of the 300 f/2.8 (60B). Putting a filter on that lens increases the apparent sharpness quite a bit.

Back when I first got the lens I shot a bunch of test images inside with the lens on a tripod. Without the filter at f/2.8 the image was nearly unusable, extremely low contrast and quite soft. Before I even got the lens I had read about the front filter improving the image, naturally that sounds a little suspect...but it's worth a shot right?
I didn't have a 112mm yet, so I held up a 77mm filter in front of the lens and made the same shot again...huge difference! Much better contrast, maybe a bit sharper, overall a much better image at f/2.8. I couldn't believe it was true, I repeated the test a few times without and with filter, making sure focus was dead on in live view. Every time the filter was a clear winner.

Having the filter on will contribute to flare and reflections in some situations, but I've never been in such a situation with this lens. The big lens hood is very effective.

I think maybe the multi-coating in the filters may be superior to the BBAR coatings on that lens, unless the front filter is actually meant to be part of the optical formula, just as the rear filter is. This Marumi piece is what I picked up for a 112mm filter, very good multicoat, equal to the Sigma 77mm I used while testing.

Last edited by Mock; 05-18-2012 at 07:56 PM.