Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #76

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Ideally, lens tests specifying results with the unit "lp/mm" (or based on "lp/mm") should yield the same results independently of the camera that was used.

This unit should refer to the lens resolution only and should hence be independent of the pixel pitch of the sensor. Only where a low pixel-pitch sensor is outresolved by the lens, a higher pixel pitch sensor should yield higher resolution numbers for the lens, but everywhere else (corners, higher f-ratios) the two measurements should ideally agree.
I looked up system MTF in one of my books to refresh my memory. There are several factors to system MTF, the contribution of the optics (ie, the lens) being one of them. The other major contributor to the system is the MTF of the detector (which has several MTF components that combine to create the detector MTF). I think the PZ MTF is actually the SYSTEM MTF (optics + detector), not the OPTICAL MTF. In some examples I've seen, the detector MTF is a significant limiting factor to system MTF. Conversely, high performance optics will most likely elevate the system MTF.

For the record: System MTF = (Lens MTF) x (Detector MTF)

This doesn't totally explain why a system would have worse performance with a great lens and a better detector, so I still am wondering about error induced due to the test itself, pixel diffraction, etc.

05-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asha Quote
This doesn't totally explain why a system would have worse performance
Maybe you should post this in the FA43 retest thread, I dont really understand what your disappointment with the FA31 retest is.
05-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #78
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Maybe you should post this in the FA43 retest thread, I dont really understand what your disappointment with the FA31 retest is.
Me too...FA31 is very good at K-5 at all apertures. One of the best lens even at K-5.
05-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The tone of this thread is odd. It got a review of 4.5/5 (optical quality), 4.5/5 (mechanical Quality), 3/5 (price/performance) and :bigthumbsup: ...
You were apparently looking at the old test.

In the new test the 31/1.8 has been downgraded to 4 stars out of 5 for optical quality.

It is still a bit of a mystery, why the peak for sharpness shifted from f/4 to f/2.8. Klaus apparently does not know either.

05-24-2012, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #80
Pentaxian

It is still a bit of a mystery, why the peak for sharpness shifted from f/4 to f/2.8. Klaus apparently does not know either.
As pixel density increases, the effect of diffraction kicks in at wider apertures,
as the link in bossa's post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/186504-photozo...ml#post1962688 shows.
Nevertheless, f/4 seems to be too wide for that effect on 16MP APS-C.
05-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I'm not disappointed, far from it. I'm just responding to others in the thread. The MTF comments I am responding to started here.

Feel free to quote me in the other thread, as appropriate.

Last edited by Asha; 05-24-2012 at 06:44 AM.
05-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #82
Site Supporter

In the new test the 31/1.8 has been downgraded to 4 stars out of 5 for optical quality.

Actually, it lost half a star out of five on optical quality and still has a bigthumbsup recommended rating. It never had a 5 in any category in the K10d evaluation.

Last edited by Blue; 05-24-2012 at 07:16 AM.
05-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #83
ogl
Pentaxian

Stars rating is just Klaus subjective opinion and nothing else.

05-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Can't believe Klaus thinks the FA31 does not deserve a bokeh test:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #85
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
As pixel density increases, the effect of diffraction kicks in at wider apertures,
as the link in bossa's post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/186504-photozo...ml#post1962688 shows.
Nevertheless, f/4 seems to be too wide for that effect on 16MP APS-C.
Correct, for the K5 diffraction should really kick in at around f/6.3 while other parameters improve, so a real degradation in quality may be visible at f/9.5-11 on.

For pixel peepers: K5 pixels pixel pitch is less than for K10. Why do we see the same amount (in pixels) of chromatic abberation or even less for the K5. Simple guessing would assume a larger value for the K5.

To be fair. The FA31 is not designed to be a five star rating normal angle lens on an APS-C camera.
The test is for camera and lens combined. The camera adds not only pixel pitch, but sensor flatness, demosaiking, firmware issues, ... into the equation.

Last edited by zapp; 05-25-2012 at 08:22 AM.
05-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Correct, for the K5 diffraction should really kick in at around f/6.3
One more thought, though.
If diffraction effects are considered to spread out over a cone of a fixed angle,
that cone will cover more pixels at the edge of the frame than it does in the center.
So the degradation, measured in pixels, will appear earlier at the edge of the frame.
05-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
today I tried 31mm lens on my K-5. Great to hold, well focusing and IQ even at f/1.8...Oh boy. Great lens..
05-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #88
Pentaxian

I got to handle a 31 yesterday, nothing I've read about it was wrong, I'm still planning to get one, but because I have a DA 35 2.4, I've moved the 15 ltd ahead of it in the purchase order. I was kind of surprised when the Pentax guy said 10-17 was not designed to be a landscape lens but more of a fun lens. The barrel distortion on the 15 was better than the 10-17 by a large margin. Comparable to the 16-50 @16mm. I have to look closer to make a final decision on those two. The build on the 31 was very very tight. And being a limited, the weight is a big plus, at least of me.
05-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #89
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I got to handle a 31 yesterday, nothing I've read about it was wrong, I'm still planning to get one, but because I have a DA 35 2.4, I've moved the 15 ltd ahead of it in the purchase order. I was kind of surprised when the Pentax guy said 10-17 was not designed to be a landscape lens but more of a fun lens. The barrel distortion on the 15 was better than the 10-17 by a large margin. Comparable to the 16-50 @16mm. I have to look closer to make a final decision on those two. The build on the 31 was very very tight. And being a limited, the weight is a big plus, at least of me.
The DA 10-17 is a fisheye lens so the barrel distortion shouldn't be surprising.
05-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
One more thought, though.
If diffraction effects are considered to spread out over a cone of a fixed angle,
that cone will cover more pixels at the edge of the frame than it does in the center.
So the degradation, measured in pixels, will appear earlier at the edge of the frame.
Finally getting back to this MTF sub-discussion.

I'm not sure this statement is totally correct, although I may also be misunderstanding what you're saying!

The lens diffraction shouldn't change very much if the lens is within spec. However, the nominal resolving capability of the lens (number of line pairs per mm) may not be as good as the resolving capability of the detector. When the point spread function of a fine detail (or more specifically, two overlapping airy disks that represent a fine detail) overfills a pixel, image degradation will result because the "peaks" of the two airy disks merge into a blob at the detector plane. Mathematically, when the two MTFs combine, there could be significant degradation, especially in the fine details, and especially at the edges of the frame.