Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #16

Original Poster
Wow you guys I didn't realize how many responses I had to this post until I just logged on through the computer (I guess I don't get an email with every response, just a few)... anyway YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!! It's great to know there is always someone here to get feedback from! I'm going to start uploading a few pics that I like the most to my 500px if anyone else is on there: 500px / Michele L / Photos

I can't wait to get more manual lenses (I actually just bought a used Pentax 80-200mm f4.5 SMC-M zoom lens to play around with as well!) but if I spend any more $$ on this camera any time soon (I bought a backpack and cheap tripod also, lol) my husband is going to kill me... but I'm gonna have fun this summer

TO kcobain1992: I LOVE the manual focusing!! I feel like I have much more control than the autofocus, and I think that is exactly what I needed. I am also learning a LOT faster about what settings I need to use (because I have to adjust all of the settings on my own instead of letting the camera do one or more of them automatically).

05-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by laughlady99 Quote
I can't wait to get more manual lenses (I actually just bought a used Pentax 80-200mm f4.5 SMC-M zoom lens to play around with as well!) but if I spend any more $$ on this camera any time soon (I bought a backpack and cheap tripod also, lol) my husband is going to kill me... but I'm gonna have fun this summer

TO kcobain1992: I LOVE the manual focusing!! I feel like I have much more control than the autofocus, and I think that is exactly what I needed. I am also learning a LOT faster about what settings I need to use (because I have to adjust all of the settings on my own instead of letting the camera do one or more of them automatically).
Beware, most manual lenses, though fun, will not get you as good results as the M50mm you already have, so be warned...
05-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #18

Original Poster
I have already noticed I didn't seem to be able to get as sharp quality out of my zoom lens (even when it wasn't zoomed in) but I've only used it once so far. Sooo.... what are the best k-mount lenses (manual OR autofocus) that I can get for UNDER $100 that I should set my sights on???
05-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Then you should also try a focusing screen like the Canon EC-A or the EE-S, I have bought one and they're absolutely wonderful, accurate focusing becomes a breeze, and you see in the viewfinder exactly the image that you're going to get. It may seem a little expensive at $90, but it's totally worth the pleasure of view.

05-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Beware, most manual lenses, though fun, will not get you as good results as the M50mm you already have, so be warned...
And some many will. Sometimes we can go by brand/model name, but even name-brand lensmakers have produced optical turds. That's why the lens-review database here is so valuable, and why we're glad to answer questions.

Some lenses that I can unhesitatingly recommend, that didn't cost me much:

* Vivitar: Kiron-made 24/2; Komine-made 28/2 CFWA; Komine-made 90/2.8 macro
* Vivitar Series 1: 19-35/3.5-4.5 (Cosina); 70-210/3.5 (Kiron); 70-210/2.8-4 (Komine)
* Sears: Tomioka-made 55/1.4; Ricoh-made 135/3.5; Tokina-made 55-135/3.5
* Russians: Zenitar-K2 16/2.8 FE; Mir-1 37/2.8; Helios-44 58/2; Jupiter-9 85/2
* Meyer: Primoplan 35/4.5; Oreston 50/1.8; Trioplan 100/2.8; Telemegor 180/5.5
* Asahi Pentax Takumar: 35/3.5; 50/4 Macro; 55/1.8; 105/2.8; 135/3.5; 200/5.6

And many others labeled Ricoh|Rikenon, Yashica, Petri, Mamiya, Cosina, Chinon, Tamron, Focal, Enna, Isco, Zeiss (Jena), Toyo|TOU Five-Star, Komura, et al. So many lenses, so little money...
05-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
...I would qualify that as "many", not "most". This is particularly true for vintage zooms. A few generalizations to add to RioRico's list above:
  • 28mm is generally good across makers
  • ditto for 135mm
  • Vivitar, Tamron, Tokina, and Kiron are generally worth looking at
  • Ditto for Rikenon (Ricoh), Mamiya/Sekor, Yashica, Fuji, and Carl Zeiss Jena
  • FSU (Former Soviet Union) stuff should seriously considered
It is good to note that the lens and camera market was VERY competitive in the 1970s and 1980s and that the performance bar was set VERY high. As a result, most name-brand product from that era is worth looking into.

Steve
05-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
* Asahi Pentax Takumar: 35/3.5; 50/4 Macro; 55/1.8; 105/2.8; 135/3.5; 200/5.6
I've not used any M42 Takumar I didn't like. No experience with the zooms but I have a fairly complete selection of primes from 28mm to 300mm.
05-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Then you should also try a focusing screen like the Canon EC-A or the EE-S, I have bought one and they're absolutely wonderful, accurate focusing becomes a breeze, and you see in the viewfinder exactly the image that you're going to get. It may seem a little expensive at $90, but it's totally worth the pleasure of view.
Thanks for the idea, I will check into that!

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
And some many will. Sometimes we can go by brand/model name, but even name-brand lensmakers have produced optical turds. That's why the lens-review database here is so valuable, and why we're glad to answer questions.
That lens database has been VERY HELPFUL!! I researched for a week straight before I finally decided to buy the 50mm f1.7. Thanks for the additional lens suggestions, I will check those out

05-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the club, yep m50 1.7 is a great lens to start with. Some will disagree with me but i hate manual focus zooms myself, but there are som many good primes out there. until I got my taks the M 50 was my favourite 50, now it would be super tak 55 1.8, super tak 50 1.4 then the m50 1.7. I actually prefer my taks in most cases (the 35 3.5 is a great lens, but then again so is the m 28 3.5)

Don't forget the off brands either - some of the sears lenses are very good (the tomioka ones - and a few early ones were rebranded taks)

heck i just got a 135 2.8 montgomery wards m42 auto (grrr need to stick down that pin) that at 2.8 wide open produces shots that hint at pixie dust) - total $25 shipped - shipping was more than the lens

As others have mentioned an upgraded focusing screen will help with success a lot (though the prism will throw off the spot meter)

start haunting garage sales, thrift shops and junk shops lots of good finds come via that route. then on ebay just bid on auctions and bid low, if you miss it another one will come along (if it is a rare item you really must have then bid the max you are willing to spend - for me that rarely exceeds the price of a pizza dinner but there are exceptions to every rule)
05-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
$100 Lenses?

Hello Laughlady99,
Glad to hear you're having fun with the manual fifty, it really makes you slow down and think about each shot. Auto focus and auto-exposure are fine for some situations, but there's also times when I'm glad I have my "M's" (and a couple of "A" types).
Anyway, here's a few of my suggestions for (around) $100 lenses;
M 135mm f3.5. This little lens is a hoot to use, small, sharp and only 1/2 stop slower than the highly-regarded (and more expensive) f/2.8 versions. The built-in lens hood is a machining marvel and it's a perfect "stealth" lens. Candids are fun!
Kiron 28mm f/2.0. Near-flawless available light lens, take it anywhere. It's about 36mm in digital format, very sharp and the bright image is a breeze to focus. Superb for landscapes and tight spaces. Might be a little over $100, but the 135mm f/3.5 will be under $100, so it will even out!
Last, the Pentax M 100mm f/4.0 Macro. The wonderful world of macro is only a click away. Warning! Once you try macro, there's no going back. Also a fine anti-theft device, pick one up and you'll see why. After you use it, you'll never walk by a flower again. Unless it's to go home and grab this lens.
LOL!
LBA!
Ron
05-24-2012, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone! I am going to be referring back to this thread for a long time to come!! And RBEFLY - I have been obsessed with macro photography for years already with my little cameras!!! I have a CHEAP screw-on macro attachment that I've been playing around with, but I know when I get a real macro lens NO ONE is going to want to take a walk with me anymore! (unless they leave me behind... ) hehe..
05-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone! I am going to be referring back to this thread for a long time to come!! And RBEFLY - I have been obsessed with macro photography for years already with my little cameras!!! I have a CHEAP screw-on macro attachment that I've been playing around with, but I know when I get a real macro lens NO ONE is going to want to take a walk with me anymore! (unless they leave me behind... ) hehe..
you can achieve cheap macro with extension tubes as well, the tubes i use with my m42 mount lenses cost a whopping $10 - and make several lenses macro - without the optical flaws of a screw on (though they reduce light transmission somewhat)
another good alternative more flexible (literally) than tubes is a bellows set which will also let you mount lenses like enlarger lenses for macro. available in m42 and k mount (K is easier to deal with IMO - on some bodies it is difficult to mount the screw mount version because of the prism overhang)
05-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have basically gone the route of using recent zooms (FA/DA etc) for family outings and manual focus primes for "my" photography. It gives me the flexibility I need when I'm out with my kids, but also allows me to play. It's also way easier to walk around all day with an A28 in your bag than a DA16-50!

Although, I find I'm drawn to the DA21 and DA15, hard to find those focal lengths for cheap...
05-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
I have basically gone the route of using recent zooms (FA/DA etc) for family outings and manual focus primes for "my" photography. It gives me the flexibility I need when I'm out with my kids, but also allows me to play. It's also way easier to walk around all day with an A28 in your bag than a DA16-50!

Although, I find I'm drawn to the DA21 and DA15, hard to find those focal lengths for cheap...
no such thing as cheap when it comes to the range of the 15 - the zenitar is probalbly the cheapest at a couple hundred and needs de-fishing, then the samyang 14 at 300 or so

at the 20 end there are finds my lentar 21 was well less than a hundred but it's slow and big, pretty sharp on apsc though (probably much less so on FF I haven't actually shot it on film yet)
05-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #30
Veteran Member

The 28 mm's are good but not greatly different than the kit lens. Especially since I usually use these for landscapes stopped down. I have 4 of them so it's still worth it to buy one but...

Something that is much different is the M100/2.8 ($100ish), M100/4Macro (100ish) or the M135/3.5 (50ish).