Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put theory and measurement up against empirical observation, and guess who wins every time?

05-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
Put theory and measurement up against empirical observation, and guess who wins every time?
Huh? I think I get what you're saying, but it's a bit confusing... because "empirical observation" is the same thing as "measurement".

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 05-31-2012 at 10:21 AM.
05-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Huh? I think I get what your saying, but it's a bit confusing... because "empirical observation" is the same thing as "measurement".
You're right. Let me see if I can rephrase:

Observed photographic results trump results assumed by deduction from measurements. This is much in the same way that observing a bumblebee fly trumps the assumption that it cannot fly based on wing measurements and theories of how flight works. (Yes, I know that bumblebee flight is understood now, but it wasn't always.)
06-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, he started out with the M 40/2.8 design but reworked the elements, especially the rear element.
Interesting. Do you remember where you have read about this?

06-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #140

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
You're right. Let me see if I can rephrase:

Observed photographic results trump results assumed by deduction from measurements. This is much in the same way that observing a bumblebee fly trumps the assumption that it cannot fly based on wing measurements and theories of how flight works. (Yes, I know that bumblebee flight is understood now, but it wasn't always.)
Empircal observation also lead people to believe the world was flat.
06-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asha Quote
Empirical observation allowed people to believe the earth was round, too, though...

...so which level of empirical observation is taking a picture? I think I'm in the second camp.
06-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asha Quote
People have believed that the earth was round, at least since the times of Plato and Aristotle. Perhaps the "common people" didn't, but the educated people were generally of a different opinion.

When Columbus wanted to "sail west to go east," the issue that the educated people had, was not that they thought he would sail off the end of the eart, it was that they thought it was much to far to sail for the vessels of that day. And they were right. If North and South America weren't here, it would have been much too far. Columbus thought that the distance from the Canary Islands to Japan was 2300 miles, while it is more like 12,000 miles. He was wrong, but then again, even blind squirrels find acorns occasionally.

06-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #143
Veteran Member

...and empirical observation of ships disappearing over the horizon was one of the first clues to the curvature of the earth.
06-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #144
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Interesting. Do you remember where you have read about this?
I have been out of the country for a week (actually was when I made that post.) and had limited access to the net. While the formula and layout are the same, look at the front and rear elements as well as the others. Plus, the LTD has the Ghostless Coatings on that rear element. Somewhere the designer stated in an interview that the DA LTD was a different lens optically, but I can't find it right now.

M 40/2.8 Pancake

DA 40mm LTD

Special Features: aspherical element(s), ghostless coating

M 40/2.8

DA 40/2.8 AL Limited
06-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
While the formula and layout are the same, look at the front and rear elements as well as the others. Plus, the LTD has the Ghostless Coatings on that rear element. Somewhere the designer stated in an interview that the DA LTD was a different lens optically, but I can't find it right now.
Thanks!
I'm always interested in background information to optical designs, so that's why I asked about the source, but I understand that it is sometimes difficult to find a certain interview or text again.