平川6月

Hirkawa 平川

Jun 6月
05-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Run Hirakawa Jun through the translator

Give the poor man a break! As Selar pointed out, he's already suffered enough in this thread.
05-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #109
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Give the poor man a break! As Selar pointed out, he's already suffered enough in this thread.
Selar didn't know who he was before page 3 or 4 of this thread. Selar brought it up. Checkout the very top write of this article page. No one is giving him a hard time, and some of us hope he is back with Pentax.

Last edited by Blue; 05-23-2012 at 06:55 PM.
05-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Of course, I know who Hirakawa Jun is long before this thread. The first time I got to know of him was looking at Asahiflex's avatar, a few years ago.

Also Blue, its Rip Van Winkle, not Rip Van Winkels as you persist in writing, its the name of a well known American novel, by a well know American author, so Kanji can't be used as an excuse in this instance.
05-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #111
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Of course, I know who Hirakawa Jun is long before this thread. The first time I got to know of him was looking at Asahiflex's avatar, a few years ago.

Also Blue, its Rip Van Winkle, not Rip Van Winkels as you persist in writing, its the name of a well known American novel, by a well know American author, so Kanji can't be used as an excuse in this instance.
What the Hades are you talking about? You were the one that originally used 'Rip Van Winkles' as a plural referring to people that like the FA ltd series. (see post 41, 43, 45 & 104)

Last edited by Blue; 05-23-2012 at 07:26 PM.
05-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #112
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Klaus "borrows" lenses from actual users. I know, for instance, that his 60-250 test was taken from a lens owned by Falk Lumo who posts here under the name Falconeye. Clearly these people are happy with their lenses, or they would have returned them/had them repaired. I guess it goes to show that these sort of flaws, even if present, probably don't effect every day shooting that much.

At the same time, the Imatest charts that Klaus uses are pretty standard and should give consistent results for the same sensor. To me, the most useful thing about the tests is seeing where the lens "peaks." So, the FA 31 peaks at f2.8, although it remains strong to f8. With this copy of the FA 43, the center is actually pretty strong throughout, but the borders don't seem to get sharp till f4. Klaus usually does do a walk around with a new lens as well and posts photos from that.

Ephotozine (John Riley) did a review of the FA 43 Ltd on the K-5 last summer. They also used the Imatest charts. The review came out better.

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited Lens Review
05-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
that originally used 'Rip Van Winkles' as a plural referring to people that like the FA ltd series
And in what order is that different to you saying "but many are acting like its a Coke bottle glass" over in the FA 31 thread? What I was saying is that you keep typing Rip Van Winkels, when it should be Rip Van Winkles. in the same way that you persist in murdering Hirakawa Jun's name. To do it once is a mistake, but to persist even in the face of correction leads to doubt over what the ulterior motive is?

05-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #114
Site Supporter

And in what order is that different to you saying "but many are acting like its a Coke bottle glass" over in the FA 31 thread? What I was saying is that you keep typing Rip Van Winkels, when it should be Rip Van Winkles. in the same way that you persist in murdering Hirakawa Jun's name. To do it once is a mistake, but to persist even in the face of correction leads to doubt over what the ulterior motive is?
I have never typed it "Winkels." What if I did? Its a forum, not a thesis or dissertation. However, I wasn't calling people "Coke bottles." "Coke Bottle" was in reference to the lens whereas you were using "Rip Van Winkles" ( your original plural use of the name) as a veiled derogatory insult to folks earlier in the thread.

Lets just agree to disagree and move on. My last post was an attempt to get the thread back on track.

:Hand:

Last edited by Blue; 05-23-2012 at 09:34 PM.
05-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Of course you were not calling people Coke Bottles, I can read English as well as the next person, but you were still casting aspersions on said peoples ability to form sound judgements based on facts. Mind you, theres no more negativity in calling a person a Rip Van Winkle, as in casting aspersions on their supposed ability or inability to form judgements based on facts. Rip Van Winkle, if you've read the story, is just a harmless sort of person, quite likeable actually, most can identify with him living in the past. As is the expression "sticking your head in the sand" atleast in the Australian usage of the term, (and I was conversing with an Aussie at the time), certainly nothing to take umbrage at, it means "one doesnt want to accept evidence contrary to ones beliefs".
05-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #116
Site Supporter

Of course you were not calling people Coke Bottles, I can read English as well as the next person, but you were still casting aspersions on said peoples ability to form sound judgements based on facts. Mind you, theres no more negativity in calling a person a Rip Van Winkle, as in casting aspersions on their supposed ability or inability to form judgements based on facts. Rip Van Winkle, if you've read the story, is just a harmless sort of person, quite likeable actually, most can identify with him living in the past. As is the expression "sticking your head in the sand" atleast in the Australian usage of the term, (and I was conversing with an Aussie at the time), certainly nothing to take umbrage at, it means "one doesnt want to accept evidence contrary to ones beliefs".
The Coke Bottle analogy was in reference to the tone of the thread in that it sounds as though the FA 31 LTD bombed the re-test. Irving's character became lazy and allowed his farm rot down from neglect and slept through the American Revolution.
05-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #117
Veteran Member

Those are certainly attributes of the character, he probably also had a weakness for drink, but the characteristics of the character should be taken in context to the behaviour described, which is a tendency to live in the past, that in itself is not so great a vice.
05-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #118
Pentaxian

I wonder which lenses photographers would choose if they had to choose based solely on photos taken by the lenses?
05-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #119
Pentaxian

I chose to build up a set of Zeiss Z* lenses based primarily on the sample photographs I had seen.
The clarity, micro-contrast, and special color quality of those photographs overwhelmed me.
05-24-2012, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #120
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Those are certainly attributes of the character, he probably also had a weakness for drink, but the characteristics of the character should be taken in context to the behaviour described, which is a tendency to live in the past, that in itself is not so great a vice.
I think the problem lies with your attitude about the past, or older equipment. In an effort to understand the opinions you're trying to portray I've set aside the negativity toward others' opinions previously expressed here. In other words, I'm trying to put myself in your shoes to understand your point of view without bias.

In doing so, I keep coming back to your distaste for things in the past. I have a hard time with this because newer things don't always mean better quality or design. I own two houses, less than a block away from each other. One is only a few years old and when I bought it I tore out the walls, flooring and everything else leaving just the outer frame. When I was done it was brand new; a beautiful house, but boring. The other house is a beautiful home built just after the war ended. It has incredible charm and character with arched, open doorways and wood plantation shutters in every window. Blown glass with waves and beautifully ornate hand-carved wood moulding decorating the inside and out. We bought the house from a 97-year-old lady who had lived here since it was built. She had money and had an interior decorator at the time it was constructed put premium materials into the house. Everything is original. Which house do I live in? The old one of course. There are always things to fix and maintain, the yard is more than twice the size of the other house and requires constant attention, but it's much more rewarding and interesting. They don't make them like they used to.

Now compare that to the Limited lenses. They don't make them like they used to. In my experience owning the 40 and 43 at the same time, the 40 produced nice pictures every time as expected. There were no surprises. The 40 was boring. On the other hand the 43 had charm and produced pictures with character. Beautiful surprises from the 43 astounded me, and even though it required more work and a little finesse, the outcome was always more rewarding so I got rid of the 40. I keep the newer house as a maintenance-free rental, and that works for me. But I never regret living in a beautiful old house that will last forever with its thick walls and "built-to-last" design. The newer house is cheaply built, and won't last as long as the old one.

If you want another example more closer to home. The late 60s and early 70s Pontiac GTO is a work of art. They don't make them like they used to. GM brought over the Holden Monaro for a redesigned GTO a few years back. While a nice, fast car, it wasn't the GTO everyone loved. After just a couple years they stopped bringing the car over to the US. I could go on and on about things "in the past", but I think I've made my point. Newer isn't always better. Maybe I'm dwelling in the past, but at least I've tried new things to compare and see which I prefer.

p.s. I still use the K10D, although I'm sure the K-5 is a wonderful camera, I don't need the video or CMOS sensor. I love the CCD's unbeatable 100 ISO. Now that's living in the past, right?