Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
x-ray photography

guys don't misunderstand me but i find x-ray photography very interesting....
i think i need a filter, there are some on ebay... but i don't know which one is reliable...
do you have any ideas???
i think i need at least 67 mm filter size
thanks
halil

Gallery 1

01-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
hll

Original Poster
some sellers claim that their infrared filters are also usable for x-ray photography. but i don't believe their photos. because it decreases the light very much which means you can't take photos of not stable creatures even with a tripod!!!
01-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi Halil

Re your comment:

QuoteQuote:
I find x-ray photography very interesting....
Have you ever thought about getting a job on the 'graveyard' shift, because I understand your local hospital employs a 'skeleton' staff at night......lol !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 01-28-2008 at 03:23 PM.
01-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
hll

Original Poster

01-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I can't answer your question, but wanted to say that those are some great shots in the gallery link you posted! Has my interest peaked now as well. Mind sharing some tips?
01-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi again Halil

Truly stunning images BTW ! Can't help thinking there's a 'publication opportunity' somewhere ?

Best regards
Richard
01-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hll Quote
guys don't misunderstand me but i find x-ray photography very interesting....
i think i need a filter, there are some on ebay... but i don't know which one is reliable...
do you have any ideas???
i think i need at least 67 mm filter size
thanks
halil

Gallery 1

I believe you have the wrong idea about how it works. Ordinary glass lenses can't focus x-rays like they do light. I see Steven Meyers has deleted the technical section of his web site, but what he is probably doing is laying the flowers, leaves, etc. on top of a sheet of x-ray film (which is in an opaque envelope to prevent it from being fogged by the ambient light), then illuminating it with an x-ray source of some sort. If you read his Statement, he says that "there is no lens to compose the images". It also sounds as though he works in a field where he has access to x-ray equipment, but notes that most hospital equipment is too high-powered for floral images. Maybe he scrounged some cast-off equipment that was too worn out for clinical use. Or a sample of radioactive material could probably be used somehow.

If there are people selling IR filters and claiming they will also work with x-rays, technically they are correct; x-rays will definitely pass through any IR filter. Of course, they will also pass through several inches of lead, if the energy is high enough. If you really want to do x-ray photograms, you will need an x-ray source and x-ray film. And supposing you do actually get an x-ray source, read up on the safety issues first, because every x-ray source is dangerous if not handled properly.

And just to make sure it's clear, his gallery that's labeled "Camera Work" isn't x-ray at all, it's just regular visible light.

Last edited by Jerry Thirsty; 01-18-2008 at 06:18 PM.
01-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think if it were as simple as getting a filter, x-ray glasses would be a reality.