Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by coylum Quote
I think this is where I'm going.... just trying to convince myself that I can afford Australian prices!!
Sometimes it's cheaper to buy from Adorama or B&H plus maybe a mack warranty. Just be sure to test out the lens and if you aren'thappy return it. If you get a good lens optically (not all are though), then it seems to have a good track record of mechanical reliability.

05-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can always use the lens on another body later.
05-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just another option: I found a used Tamron 28-105 (mounted on a film camera) for under $50 (US). The lens performs very well. Of course it is not as wide as your 18-55, and not as long as many suggestions here. But it is sharp throughout the range. This lens is also badged as a Pentax FA and a Promaster. There may be performance variations as there are in a lot of superzooms, but I got the Tamron and a Promaster (for my daughter) at the same time and both copies are sharp.

I also owned an FA28-105 Powerzoom, it was much heavier and not as good a performer, sharp at close range, but not at distance.
05-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
OK so the search is over...!

Hi all,

A big thank you for all the contributions to this thread - they have been most helpful

Prefering a new lens over second hand I narrowed my choice down to the Pentax DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR, the Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II and the Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 II DC OS.

The apparent build quality and the precision/speed of focussing on the Pentax won me over and now that I have chance to take some photos I'm most impressed with the image quality. The zoom range is also just right for my needs.

As one poster mentioned I can always use it on more sophisticated Pentax body at a later date and this helped justify the price!!

Thanks again...