Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2006, 05:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Difference between these 2 converters?

I saw these 2 converters on bhphoto. I had the 2nd one on order for A*300/2.8

Pentax 2.0x L Teleconverter$550 US Dollars!!

Pentax 2.0x S Rear Converter A (Teleconverter) for K-Mount

How much difference is there between the two teleconverter besides the price? Though the first one is designed for A* series, I wondered how much difference is there if the 2nd one was used?

I am just trying to justify myself for the purchase of 2X L teleconverter as it is quite expensive. Most of the teleconverter 2X are considered crap regardless what companies make them but I have never seen a teleconverter costing an arm and leg here.

Hope people can help me out regarding the quality difference between these two adaptors or I would just invest my money into macro stuff soon...

Thanks everyone in advance

James

12-29-2006, 06:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The "L" is for use with long lenses only. Notice the protruding front element? The lens you use it with must have at least that amount of space between the rear element and the mount at shortest focus. See here:

Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page

It should match really well with your A*300 f2.8.

Cheers
-Alan
12-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Alan. I noted the website showing the L adaptor has "less" glass elements comparing to S adaptor. I already got the A Rear S 2X adaptor already, do you think the purchase of L adaptor (which costs 180 US more) worth it?
12-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well,
I don't know. The A would be more versatile as it can be used with any lens. On the other hand, The L must have some advantage with long lenses or Pentax probably would not have made it. What the advantage is I don't know.

Then again, your probably asking the wrong person. I'm one of those nuts who paid WAY too much for a F1.7x AF rear converter , so I might say go for the L. (Just kidding) I think you are the only one who can decide if it is worth the extra money.

By the way I don't believe either of these TCs are auto focusing.

12-29-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Alan again. The price tells it all - 550 US dollars for a teleconverter... mmm

I do not mind manual focus at all. As long as the image quality does not suffer, it is all worth while.

I paid tamron 1.4X for 170 US dollars used so I am not any better as any great ebayer. BHphoto sells the thing only for 49 US dollars.

I will see what A rear will do to the image of lens first.

Thanks