Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Sigma already do a great 30/1.4. - Pentax would onto a winner if they did a 30mm version of their A50/1.2 with the same or similar Creamy characteristics
I have the sigma 30 f1.4
I would prefer a pentax version to keep the $$$ in house...but until then, the Sigma does exactly what I want it to

05-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #32
Veteran Member

if this will be the street price then someone is laughing at us at HQ
05-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yet another fast (ish) 50? I don't (& won't) get it.
05-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Its not only that.... pentax is an APSC brand at the end of the day. 50mm sits in no mans land here. To long to be seriously used as a standard... not long enough for portraits or any pulling in power
Make you wonder where there head is at realy lol
50mm's on APSC is pretty much the same as the 77mm FOV on FF and not far from the classic 85mm FOV. Personally I really like the 40-50mm range on APSC. In the end this is just about taking an old lens design (likely) and matching competitors lineups. It's unfortunate that the FA50 might be gone but that lens was really in no mans land. Too expensive to be entry level and right in between the FA43 and DA55 premium lenses. Pentax has a relatively full roadmap of lenses for the next year or two so this isn't a big concern.

Will there be another entry level lens added to the DA35 and 50? 28mm would probably be a cheap redesign but it's too close to 35. Or maybe the M100?

05-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #35
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
50mm's on APSC is pretty much the same as the 77mm FOV on FF and not far from the classic 85mm FOV. Personally I really like the 40-50mm range on APSC. In the end this is just about taking an old lens design (likely) and matching competitors lineups. It's unfortunate that the FA50 might be gone but that lens was really in no mans land. Too expensive to be entry level and right in between the FA43 and DA55 premium lenses. Pentax has a relatively full roadmap of lenses for the next year or two so this isn't a big concern.

Will there be another entry level lens added to the DA35 and 50? 28mm would probably be a cheap redesign but it's too close to 35. Or maybe the M100?
I would expect BOTH a 28mm and a 70 mm pancake made into an all plastic DA-L
05-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
I would expect BOTH a 28mm and a 70 mm pancake made into an all plastic DA-L
The 28 seems logical considering existing designs but the 70 doesn't make sense. The only 70 that would be released would be similar to the DA40XS imo.
05-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote

Well, I have a few of the DA Limited primes: the 15, 21 and 70. I was thinking about the 40 but I have the DA 35mm f/2.4 and I am very pleased with that. So if this lens is at least as good, I should be very happy with the new 50. I'm hearing it's based on the FA 50 f/1.7 - except it has the extra blade to smooth out the bokeh. If that's true, it will be more than good enough for me. Besides, 50 fills the hole between 35 and 70 very nicely.

EDIT: I just preordered via Adam's B&H link.

Last edited by Biro; 05-21-2012 at 09:18 PM.
05-21-2012, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
This does seem to be the case unfortunately. Unless this is some magical wonder of a fast 50, Pentax have wasted resources here really. What does this offer over the FA 50 1.7 other than worse build quality?
Well, its in production, the FA50/1.7 isn't.
While I debate the necessity of yet another 50mm lens, I find the immediate pissing and moaning about how it's a few dollars too expensive to be laughable.
It was Pentax selling their products at too low a price that put them in chapter 11 in the first place.
05-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I haven't gone through the whole thread TL;DR but here's my take:

Why would Pentax make a semi-fast 50?

* Because they can.
* Because everyone else does.
* So when n00bs slam into the limitations of the DA18-55 @55/5.6, they'll have a safe cheap 'portrait' lens to turn to. The DA40XS isn't quite long enough for that.
* To distract us from upcoming surprises.
05-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
While I debate the necessity of yet another 50mm lens, I find the immediate pissing and moaning about how it's a few dollars too expensive to be laughable.
+1
The same old moaning and complaining streak where prices are concerned rears it's ugly head among Pentax users. Is it any wonder the brand is the brand of choice among penny pinching photographers. Can Pentax users ever look beyond price alone and consider other attributes such as optical quality.
05-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The same old moaning and complaining streak where prices are concerned rears it's ugly head among Pentax users. Is it any wonder the brand is the brand of choice among penny pinching photographers. Can Pentax users ever look beyond price alone and consider other attributes such as optical quality.
I don't frequent Canikonympus fora. Do they never discuss lens prices?
05-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Then again, I didn't complain about the DA 35 when the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 is cheaper, better built, faster, AF-S, is apparently better optically and has full time manual over-ride.

I seriously wish they'd start putting QS in EVERY lens they make though, it's the most fantastic thing ever. I hardly use my primes because they're either DA without quickshift or FA, and they just feel annoying to use.

EDIT: the Nikkor isn't cheaper, but it's not much more expensive. Though it can't be used with film cameras either. DA35 + Super Program was an excellent combination!
The Nikkor's also come with dedicated lens hoods and pouch's
05-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #43

Original Poster
It was Pentax selling their products at too low a price that put them in chapter 11 in the first place.
This should have been a marketing move for Pentax, a 50 at the same price as Canikon's cheap alternatives. Nikon's 50 1.8D is less than half of this lens. Even the 50 1.8G is less expensive than this. And don't tell me about the greatness of this 50, i don't buy it

If Pentax is to attract new customers, this lens does not help a bit.

What i found laughable is how Pentax thinks we are dumb enough to believe everything they do is great. Price is an important factor, and they failed if this will be the price. My opinion, other may feel different.
05-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
This should have been a marketing move for Pentax, a 50 at the same price as Canikon's cheap alternatives. Nikon's 50 1.8D is less than half of this lens. Even the 50 1.8G is less expensive than this. And don't tell me about the greatness of this 50, i don't buy it

If Pentax is to attract new customers, this lens does not help a bit.

What i found laughable is how Pentax thinks we are dumb enough to believe everything they do is great. Price is an important factor, and they failed if this will be the price. My opinion, other may feel different.
I think it will end up priced around 200 dollars in the end, which is right where the 50 1.8G is priced.

With the rounded blades, I do expect the bokeh to be nicer than some of the bottom end options (and also an improvement over the Pentax 50mm f1.7s from the past). Anyway, I want Pentax to charge the amount that they need in order to continue making good products. Hopefully launching more higher end lenses and camera bodies down the road. No money for R and D equals their death as a company.
05-22-2012, 04:27 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Well, its in production, the FA50/1.7 isn't.
Touché.

But whilst I'm all for Pentax making the money it needs, I just feel charging $240 for what is essentially a Canon 50mm f/1.8 is a bit steep.

With luck this will age very well, and in a few years will end up at the same price point as the Canon, which would be fantastic.

And as I've said, the price point of the DA 35 is rather high considering the build and the competition, but I actually own that lens and I have no complaints whatsoever about it, so maybe I am just being grumpy. Even though the Nikkor is apparently superior in every way bar a slight price increase, nothing is going to stop me enjoying taking pictures with the DA 35.

I guess it's a case of (once again) looking down on your system based on what others offer, but then they're all just cameras and lenses anyway. I don't see the point in switching systems for an amateur like me.