Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was hoping it would at least be WR, to be coupled with the new K-30.

05-22-2012, 05:35 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't own any primes apart from a 100mm macro and I would like to invest in one or two of shorter length, but this will be handy in figuring out what I do want. If the reviews are favourable in terms of its IQ then it would definitely be handy for testing the waters of what focal length suits me since it sits close to 40mm, 43mm and 55mm... but in between the 21mm, 28mm, 35mm on the short end and the 70mm, 77mm on the long end.

And I'd imagine the same situation applies to a lot of people so it's a good move by Pentax.
05-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Touché.

But whilst I'm all for Pentax making the money it needs, I just feel charging $240 for what is essentially a Canon 50mm f/1.8 is a bit steep.

With luck this will age very well, and in a few years will end up at the same price point as the Canon, which would be fantastic.

And as I've said, the price point of the DA 35 is rather high considering the build and the competition, but I actually own that lens and I have no complaints whatsoever about it, so maybe I am just being grumpy. Even though the Nikkor is apparently superior in every way bar a slight price increase, nothing is going to stop me enjoying taking pictures with the DA 35.

I guess it's a case of (once again) looking down on your system based on what others offer, but then they're all just cameras and lenses anyway. I don't see the point in switching systems for an amateur like me.
I don't think you're being grumpy. But I think most people who have been Pentaxians for a while - including myself - have been spoiled. Pentax was the unchallenged value king for so long that the brand became the home of cheapskate photographers - again, including myself.

Generally, Pentax hiked its prices twice: in 2009 and again this year. And it's taken some getting used to. It's true the DA 35 f/2.4 and this new DA 50f/1.8 are a bit on the expensive side given the price of the plastic-fantastics from the competition. But Pentax doesn't yet have the economies of scale that CaNikon has. Perhaps they will gain that - or something close to that - in the future.

I'm sure Ricoh and Pentax realize that, as they maintain a higher price floor for their products, those products will be judged against the competition with much less sympathy and loyalty than in the past. The good news is, Ricoh seems to have every intention of offering cameras and lenses that require no handicapping.