Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
There's a 20-40mm Limited zoom on the roadmap (I'm waiting for)...
Yeah exactly, as I said I'm waiting for that. Once it's out I would make a decision on it or another prime.

The 77 is astonishing though and I would really like to see what the 31 is like. Although the 35 has the macro, it is a little close to the 40, which is ideal for me.

05-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Question: is BF/ FF a wide-spread problem with the FA77? I have a K-x (which doesn't have the lens focus adjustment function), and if I buy the FA77, I won't be able to upgrade to something like K30 any time soon. (And I'd prefer to get the lens--it simply makes sense to get it... If it weren't so damn expensive...) So, did you have to use the focus adjust function for the FA77?
To be honest I think it is fairly present among many lenses FA77 or not. It is of course most noticeable in fast lenses with thin DOF. If you cant upgrade the body (even the k-r has af adjust) then just try and get a copy that focuses well on your K-x
05-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
To be honest I think it is fairly present among many lenses FA77 or not. It is of course most noticeable in fast lenses with thin DOF. If you cant upgrade the body (even the k-r has af adjust) then just try and get a copy that focuses well on your K-x
If it's a general problem, then I'm afraid I'd have to exchange a number of copies, and I hate to exasperate the sellers. I think I'll try a copy; who knows? I might be lucky.
05-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #34
Site Supporter

If it's a general problem, then I'm afraid I'd have to exchange a number of copies, and I hate to exasperate the sellers. I think I'll try a copy; who knows? I might be lucky.
Are there no brick and mortar stores that carry it in your area? (if like here, there are but the prices are too high)

Just an idea but you could always sell your K-x and upgrade to a used K-r for prob $100 difference. Then buy a used FA77 (saving a couple hundred) and use your AF adjust if you need it

05-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got my 77 this week, so my experience with it is very limited...but I have noticed that there are certain conditions that make BF/FF more prevalent. Now as I start to encounter it I am do manual focus to correct and I am LOVING it. I didn't think I would like using manual a lot because I didn't think I would be fast enough for it at weddings, I am personally finding it way easier. I plan on shooting a portion of this weekends wedding with manual focus.

So, Causey, I guess the answer to your questions is that you don't have to use focus adjust. I could do that with the K5, but I am enjoying manual too much.
05-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I just got my 77 this week, so my experience with it is very limited...but I have noticed that there are certain conditions that make BF/FF more prevalent. Now as I start to encounter it I am do manual focus to correct and I am LOVING it. I didn't think I would like using manual a lot because I didn't think I would be fast enough for it at weddings, I am personally finding it way easier. I plan on shooting a portion of this weekends wedding with manual focus.

So, Causey, I guess the answer to your questions is that you don't have to use focus adjust. I could do that with the K5, but I am enjoying manual too much.
Just remember that it is not Quick Shift when you mf.
05-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I wish it were!

But yes the MF is sublime with this lens however this is also impacted by the better VF on the K-5
05-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #38
gtl
Veteran Member

I find it very hard to MF with the stock focusing screen. Not sure if a canon EES would help

05-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
I find it very hard to MF with the stock focusing screen. Not sure if a canon EES would help
With the K-5? I dont find it too bad at all esp with the FA77. That said I would love a good focus screen, just not sure I can live with the downsides, I think the stock screen can show as low as f2. On the K-r MF was almost impossible for fast lenses for me.
05-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Yeah, this is the one thing that makes me LOVE my DFA100WR and the DA35ltd.

But that said, I don't mind being fully manual for the 77. That lens has a certain something...It just really has that ability to make a subject pop.
06-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I received the package with the FA 77 from BH today. Glorious lens, as far as rendering is concerned. I fully understand why this lens has the best rating among all Pentax lenses. It's magical. Although it comes close to it in many respects, my Samyang 85mm lacks the FA's magic. Sharpness and bokeh are comparable (of course, the Samyang is faster and has a tad nicer bokeh at f1.4). The FA might be a sharper at smaller apertures--I'm not sure. What people call "separation of colors" is what I think makes the ultimate difference. But... the auto-focus is null in low-light. It seems to be ok-ish if I focus on objects near me, but I took it out this afternoon (the diminished light of 6:30pm), and AF was... consistent--consistently behind the subject, that is. Every single photo I took is focused far--hopelessly far--behind the subject. Light wasn't good, nor terribly bad... I'll try it in daylight tomorrow morning; however, given this issue, it already seems too expensive a lens to have. For $800 the AF should be decently accurate. This lens appears to be usable only on cameras allowing AF micro-adjustment, so I'll have to upgrade the camera before buying this jewel. Right now I can't afford both the camera upgrade and the FA 77. Maybe I'm going to change my mind tomorrow morning; now I'm happy I haven't returned/sold the Samyang.
06-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This lens appears to be usable only on cameras allowing AF micro-adjustment, so I'll have to upgrade the camera before buying this jewel.
Which camera you have? You may use debug menu even if your cam body does not offer micro-adjustment in normal menus.
06-06-2012, 02:46 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Luckily my newly acquired 77 is spot on with my K5. But the PF is there and noticeable in the few shots to date.
06-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Which camera you have? You may use debug menu even if your cam body does not offer micro-adjustment in normal menus.
K-x. I know about the debug menu, but it's a pain to use it, especially when I have to (quickly) change lenses. The debug menu allows for the micro-adjustment of a single lens at a time.

Last edited by causey; 06-06-2012 at 03:22 AM.
06-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #45
Site Supporter

I had no problem with my MIJ silver FA 77 with *istD, K10D, K-7 and two K-5's. Focusing is pretty much spot on. That said, the lens has a rather long focus ring throw which is good for manual focusing but in terms of street candids it may be a bit problematic as it will take time to rotate and it will produce noise while it's rotating... Other than that - this is superb lens by all counts.