Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Great series, Blue. Thank you. The Samyang has wonderful bokeh, but the FA's rendering is so realistic, so natural...

05-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have frequently used the 77 in these situations in South African and the Caribbean.

I would hate to get pounded like a sack of corn . . . The sun was nearly straight up and harsh around noon.

Ha..ha...
Your sample is in portrait orientation, so the lower portion with the sack wasn't showing on my screen, so I had actually though you were being chased with the stick
05-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I use it for street and I love it.
05-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #19
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
As I said, it would be part of a 3 lens combo. Sometimes FL longer than 50mm is very useful; e.g., when people in a Eastern European or South American marketplace. I prefer not to get too close to the subjects; many are camera shy.
As for me, new DA50/1.8 or FA50/1.4 are enough.
FA77 - I tried it, of course, in city travel - almost unusable for me. Especially, in Asia.

As for portrait - any place and any time. But...FA43 and DA40 are better for pure street photos.

05-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
As for me, new DA50/1.8 or FA50/1.4 are enough.
FA77 - I tried it, of course, in city travel - almost unusable for me. Especially, in Asia.

As for portrait - any place and any time. But...FA43 and DA40 are better for pure street photos.
I was thinking... I could keep the Samyang for portraits, get the FA50/1.4, and the package would still cost me $100 under the price of FA77. I was looking at pics taken in cities and markets when I had the DA 18-250mm: generally, either 40-50mm or 90-135mm. I have the DA40, which I love, and I had the FA50/1.4, which was very nice (except the auto-focus)--the FL are very close, but I miss the 'older' look of pics taken with the FA50/1.4, and it is a bit longer... I could also wait for the new DA50/1.8, but I think the 1.4 + the metal mount + the better construction of the FA50 are worth $100.
There's another drawback of the FA77, related to the cost (which is an issue in itself): given it's so expensive, I'd be afraid to use it in relatively unsafe places, and it's exactly those places that are more interesting.
05-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
There's another drawback of the FA77, related to the cost (which is an issue in itself): given it's so expensive, I'd be afraid to use it in relatively unsafe places, and it's exactly those places that are more interesting.
Well I wouldnt worry about the "safety" of using the FA77, (at least from a theft POV) to those that arent photogs it wont look very special, I am sure a big honking zoom would look more expensive to a theif and it would be much easier to spot, plus an iphone would be a juicer target and much easier to resell

If you are in a place where it is unsafe to take out a specific lens, your camera and any lens are likely just as bad.

That said I have backpacked around the world extensively (third world), I never really had an issue where I thought it was unsafe to take photos or take my camera out, they are pretty common these days especially among travellers/tourists. Just need to be aware of your surroundings and always keep your gear secured across your chest

One possible option for peace of mind: certain credit cards, like my travel visa, give 3 month purchase protection against any issues (broken, damage, stolen, lost) and double warranty, I have replaced one camera and a lens this way on diff occaisions. You could always buy your gear right before you leave and you would have 3 months gurantee in case anything happens, well worth the cc annual fee.

Last edited by Deimos; 05-23-2012 at 09:49 AM.
05-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Mi dos centavos: In that neighborhood, I shoot with various options, mostly MF:

* 85/2, either Nikkor (modded for PK) or Jupiter-9 -- the Nikkor is sharp everywhere, the J9 is sharp from f.4 out. Both are great for different environments; I use the J9 more for people.
* FA50/1.4 with a Sony VCL-1546A front-mount 1.5x tele adapter making it a 75/1.4 -- total weight is 400g, not too bad, and IQ is pretty good, though probably not at Limited level, eh?
* Vivitar-LU 75/3.5 enlarger lens on 16-35mm focusing helicoid -- extremely sharp, not the fastest but the price is hard to beat -- US$70 total. This setup is for more deliberate use.

None of these is what I use for shooting indigenous markets in Central America. For dynamic not-too-close situations, the cheap F35-70 is hard to beat. I pair it with the Cosina-made Vivitar Series 1 19-35. Mine is MF but it's available in AF. It's hard to beat the IQ of those two in the 19-70mm range. Haven't tried an 18-70 yet, can't afford it anyway, so I use what I have.

05-24-2012, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Some personal opinions on 77ltd for candids and other focal lengths.

It depends on the isolation you need and personal comfort of working distance to strangers.

31,35mm works about the same for me. Usually they show off a bit of the environment (context).
Working distance is relatively 'normal' as in I don't find a need to purposely step forward or back to get what I roughly see with my eyes.
It can be rather near to subject though for half body or closer shots.

FA35

FA31ltd

40,43mm work quite the same as the 35mm but usually a bit tighter in FOV and quite a comfortable working distance.
The 50mm is about the same, but again a bit more tighter.

DA40XS

Above that, like the 77ltd, its usually a pretty tight framing in most cases unless the view can be unobstructed and there is plenty of space to move back on.
Framing needs a bit of 'ready time' and to me it does not come as WYSIWYG between eye and 77mm framing.
In other words, if I turned a street corner and saw something interesting 2-3m away from me, the framing will be too tight to respond fast enough to just lift up the camera and shoot like the 31,35-43mm focal lengths.

FA77ltd

05-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Excellent series JK (pinholecam). Really love these.
05-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

FA77ltd

What is the story behind this shot?
05-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Excellent series JK (pinholecam). Really love these.
FW, thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What is the story behind this shot?
Its a rather odd chance encounter.
This was in Meleka (Malaysia), a historic town in South East Asia, and I was there for a photo outing with some Pentaxian friends.
The last place to see a non-local lass in skimpy attire doing her morning yoga out of a pre-war shop house window. (This is a supposedly "conservative" Asian/Muslim country).
So I grabbed a shot.
05-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments. Great illustrations. I was thinking of buying the FA77 for situations in which I would have time to pull it out... For streets, in general, I have the DA40.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Some personal opinions on 77ltd for candids and other focal lengths.

It depends on the isolation you need and personal comfort of working distance to strangers.
05-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #28
Inactive Account

I just got back from a trip to hong kong, and my 77 was ideal for lots of that. My kit was 10-18, 10-20, 40, 77. The only way I felt lacking was between the 20 and 40. For future trips I want to get that limited zoom- or just something inbetwen. Maybe a 30 macro and swap out the 10-18 for it.
The 77 was brilliant for the flower market and the bird garden. I also found it useful for night portraits in the markets. Having the 40 and particularly showed off how low the resolution of my 10-20 was wide open.
In terms of focusing the 77 was fine. Slightly slower than my 40 but didn't miss much. Quick shift would have been useful but I would rather have the speed than the quick shift. The 77 is so easy to manual focus too.
05-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
The only way I felt lacking was between the 20 and 40.
There's a 20-40mm Limited zoom on the roadmap (I'm waiting for)...

Last edited by causey; 05-25-2012 at 06:17 AM.
05-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Question: is BF/ FF a wide-spread problem with the FA77? I have a K-x (which doesn't have the lens focus adjustment function), and if I buy the FA77, I won't be able to upgrade to something like K30 any time soon. (And I'd prefer to get the lens--it simply makes sense to get it... If it weren't so damn expensive...) So, did you have to use the focus adjust function for the FA77?