Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #1

Pentax ZX-M Help Finding Lenses

I just picked up this camera and I'm looking to get a fixed prime lense. I am having a hard time seeing which lenses are compatible and what mount I need to look for? I know it's KA2 but do lenses come with this mount I have looked on serveral sites saying Pentax k mount but it's not ka2? Can someone make a suggestion or what I should be searching for?

05-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any K-mount lens will work. You can use M42 lenses as well with an adapter.

The M series will play nicely with the ZX-M and they are less expensive than the A series. Check out KEH for an idea of the top end of the price range.

Pentax Manual Focus Fixed Focal Length Lenses - KEH.com

Avoid Takumar bayonets as they don't have SMC coating.

QuoteQuote:
1997: KA2
The manual focus MZ-M (ZX-M in USA), features the little known KA2 mount. By removing the AF coupling from the KAF mount (or by adding the serial contact to the old KA mount, if you prefer), Pentax updated their manual focus bayonet with up-to-date electronics and performance. That makes sense, since the manual focus MZ-M couldn’t use the AF coupling in any case. There are no A2-series lenses available, but the KA2 is compatible with all K mount variations introduced between 1975 and 1997.

Despite so much electronics added over the years, all of the mechanics were still there to grant full backward compatibility. That’s one of the best reasons for sticking to Pentax, you know.
Edit: I should mention with exception to the DA, DA L, and DA XS series.

Last edited by boriscleto; 05-23-2012 at 10:50 AM.
05-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

What Boris said. Except: I have no problem with the Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5. Also, FA-J lenses (which lack an aperture ring) won't work on an M-series camera like the ZX-M. So avoid FA-J and DA-whatever.

I use almost anything on my ZX-M. I especially prefer wider and faster K-mount glass: Zenitar-K2 16/2.8 fisheye; Vivitar-Kiron 24/2; TOU-Five-Star and Access (Tokina) Macro and SMC-M 28/2.8; Chinon 45/2.8; SMC (K) 50/1.2; SMC-M 50/1.7; etc.

I also much use some very sharp short-focal-range zooms: Vivitar Series 1 (Cosina) 19-35/3.5-4.5; SMC-F 35-70/3.5-4.5; Sears-Samyang 80-200/4. Is no shortage of good affordable PK primes and sharp zooms. Have fun!

Last edited by RioRico; 05-23-2012 at 11:50 AM.
05-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
What Boris said. Except: I have no problem with the Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5. Also, FA-J lenses (which lack an aperture ring) won't work on an M-series camera like the ZX-M. So avoid FA-J and DA-whatever.
The ZX-M (MZ-M) was a manual focus version of the ZX series (not M series) and can control the aperture ring in program and Tv modes where there's no aperture ring. FA-J lenses would be limited to these two modes, DAs are probably going to cause vignetting but would also be useable in these two modes.

Any K lens will work in Manual & Av modes, any KA (or F or FA) will work in Manual, Av, Tv & Program modes.

05-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for great advice guys u helped clarify it for me much appreciated. One more question do you guys like the fg battery grip or not unsure if I will buy it or not?
05-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serverking Quote
Thanks for great advice guys u helped clarify it for me much appreciated. One more question do you guys like the fg battery grip or not unsure if I will buy it or not?
Finding batteries is easier with the grip. Cheaper too.
05-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The grip makes my MZ-M (the European name for the ZX-M) much easier to hold (and a lot cheaper to run).