Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA560mm and BORG

In looking over the upcoming DA560, I couldn't get it out of my head how "Telescope" the lens appeared to me. I have an old Pentax telescope, and with a little searching around the web, I found out some interesting things about a company called BORG Oasis studio.

Hutech Astronomical Products - Borg Telescopes

Bo-enkyo- (telescope) - Do-gu (equipment)

It seems that a Mr. Nakagawa is responsible for the design of the 125SD and his philosophy is..

"Photo-visual design with no compromises was a primary concern of the system designer at Borg, an accomplished photographer with decades of experience. Borg scopes fully cover the 6x7 cm frame of the popular medium format Pentax 67 series cameras, and include photographer's extras such as a precise, indexed, lockable (two lockscrews) helical focuser and a full range of field flatteners and teleconverters. Also available are a full line of 35mm camera accessories and visual adapters. "

So the 125SD?

Hutech Astronomical Products - Borg 125SD

That telescope - is VERY similar to the upcoming DA560mm. Even on the BORG web site they say - "Featuring a collaboration between Borg and Pentax on a new objective design. "

So it appears that the 125SD and Mr. Nakagawa have a serious Pentax connection, and if the BORG Oasis Studio is going to make the new DA560mm it would appear that the new lens will be made in Japan, as the 125SD is.

I wonder if Mr. Nakagawa was one of the engineers Hoya fired/laid off?

05-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting, thanks for the links.
05-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a link to the Japanese BORG Oasis Studio and the 125SD.

BORG125SD望*レンズセットN|製品情*|BORG(ボーグ)天体望*鏡
05-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
that looks like a fine apochromatic telescope. Nothing wrong with that. But it doesn't look much similar to the DA560, not more than many other long telephoto lenses.

05-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On the Japanese website - I can't read Japanese - I see 125mm - 750mm and F6. Which makes me think it's a zoom range. So maybe the DA560mm will also be a zoom lens?
05-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
that looks like a fine apochromatic telescope. Nothing wrong with that. But it doesn't look much similar to the DA560, not more than many other long telephoto lenses.
On the English website, there is a picture of the 125SD with a foot on it. That foot looks very much like the foot on the DA560mm.

05-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's also a 750mm focal length with a gigantic rear aperture. Since BORG has been around for over 10 years and is owned by Tomy, I doubt this design is something from a recent Pentax engineer, but who knows what the collaboration was... especially given that Pentax makes and markets it's own refractive telescopes! (Oh, and Tomy made those cute "mini-me" K-x/K-r cameras to stick in the hotshoe!)

05-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now you just need to work out a mount for one of your bikes!! Good research too!
05-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Well, the telescop just looks like a white telescope. Most lenses look like long cylinders, many of them are black, some are white. Telescopes are not very well suited for photography.