Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Graduated ND filters...what type do you use?

Wide range of graduated ND filters out there. From $40 to almost $400. Which is the best way to go for a 2 stop grad ND?

Thanks

05-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Should I admit to not being choosy? I'll take whatever I can get. I buy eBay lots with various lenses, filters, misc in a bag. And some of those filters are GNDs or split-focus or split-color or whatever. My take: any graduated or split filter is going to have some effect on IQ. The variable-view advantage out-weighs any IQ loss. So I don't sweat it. My advice: go cheap.
05-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I often used graduated ND filters with film. I still use ND4 filters [Hoya multi-coated] to slow shutter speed on digital, but prefer post production graduated masking, control point editing, or multi-exposure blending rather than graduated NDs.
05-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Singh-Ray Galen Rowell 2stop soft and 3stop hard. Here I have user the 3stop one.

05-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I often used graduated ND filters with film. I still use ND4 filters [Hoya multi-coated] to slow shutter speed on digital, but prefer post production graduated masking, control point editing, or multi-exposure blending rather than graduated NDs.
I like this approach better.
05-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Same as Pal but just the 2 stop. Also use Cokin XPro for big glass. Both are rectangular which is very important--allows for full range of coverage. Also, I most commonly just hold the lower corner of the filter and hand hold it in place for the shot.

It's hard to see exactly where the graduated density starts in the frame and hand holding lets me start out at arm's length with depth of field preview clearly showing me where the line falls in the frame. Pull it toward the lens while keeping track of the placement of the graduated line. When you touch the lens, click the shutter--which I have set to 2 sec. delay which locks the mirror. In the end I get a great image without taking too much time for the filter placement. Just did it handheld last weekend with the expected result.
05-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My advice: go cheap.
Go DIY & cheap. During my crazy old camera stuff buying days I got lots of filters and polarizers, I used two of those polarizers stacked (one reversed, based on whichever give ND effect without any color cast, not all works but this one was the best).
30 sec exposer with A28/2.8 @22

05-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whoa - I could have paid $40? I really am cheap I know I paid $20 or less. I'm willing to PP my way to this result. But if conditions are extreme, blown pixels won't PP - so I have a cheap 2-stop soft grad for times like that. Doesn't get much use, so spending $x00 is not cost effective for me.

05-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #9

grab a few cheap ones, i did and love em all.