Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the only question with the 18-250 is the speed. it is not the fastest lens.
and it's not the best iq either. my experience is the 135 end of the 50-135 is long enough for almost any details and the extra speed will help for details inside the churches they let you shoot in (which is a great many of them, but not all)

for basic street shooting the 12-24 really covers it, though the 35 gives you a compact alternative (my experience in Europe is you can shoot streets with almost any size (physical) lens because here are so many tourists about that cameras in general become more invisible

05-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
and it's not the best iq either. my experience is the 135 end of the 50-135 is long enough for almost any details and the extra speed will help for details inside the churches they let you shoot in (which is a great many of them, but not all)

for basic street shooting the 12-24 really covers it, though the 35 gives you a compact alternative (my experience in Europe is you can shoot streets with almost any size (physical) lens because here are so many tourists about that cameras in general become more invisible
Agree on all points. Some ware many posts ago I suggested all you needed was 10/12 to about 75/85mm, but I usually have a way to get to 135/150 either with a 1.7x AF TC on my 85/1.4 or with a K135/2.5

unless specifically out for wild life my 70-200 stays at home
05-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, I agree with that, although I found that sometimes 150mm on crop wasn't quite enough...
05-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Yep, I agree with that, although I found that sometimes 150mm on crop wasn't quite enough...
my only issue with taking things a lot linger than 85mm is the trade off of weight to carry vs amount of use.

sure i would have loved a longer than 135mm lens when i saw a European Kestral playing outside the airport in Prague, but that was one shot out of about 1800, is it worth humping the 1.5 kilos of my 70-200/2.8 and 2x TC to get one shot that at best would be a record shot anyway (proof of sighting). Sure it would be a better proof of sighting shot but still not worth printing.

as I said if I am not going to some wildlife specific venue (Ok sports, auto racing, and all those other 200mm+ activities) i just can't seem to justify the dragging along of a heavy lens for the limited use

05-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

my only issue with taking things a lot linger than 85mm is the trade off of weight to carry vs amount of use.

sure i would have loved a longer than 135mm lens when i saw a European Kestral playing outside the airport in Prague, but that was one shot out of about 1800, is it worth humping the 1.5 kilos of my 70-200/2.8 and 2x TC to get one shot that at best would be a record shot anyway (proof of sighting). Sure it would be a better proof of sighting shot but still not worth printing.

as I said if I am not going to some wildlife specific venue (Ok sports, auto racing, and all those other 200mm+ activities) i just can't seem to justify the dragging along of a heavy lens for the limited use
that's my biggest issue, i don't want to lug weight on vacation (been there done that walking around rome with a 4 lens 3 back 645 kit with tripod - WTF was i thinking)
All that being said i will pack my m200 this year because i will be in the countryside for half of the vacation and may get a use or 2 out of it. but anything resembling heavy (like a 24-70 2.8) will stay home. heaviest lens will be the da14.
05-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that's my biggest issue, i don't want to lug weight on vacation (been there done that walking around rome with a 4 lens 3 back 645 kit with tripod - WTF was i thinking)
All that being said i will pack my m200 this year because i will be in the countryside for half of the vacation and may get a use or 2 out of it. but anything resembling heavy (like a 24-70 2.8) will stay home. heaviest lens will be the da14.
But your situation is different, you have a fixed base, and this gives you the opportunity to leave some of your gear behind and take a reduced kit for what I would call day use.

When I travel on vacation, where there is no wild life involved, I take typically 2 bodies 4-5 lenses, and to get to the starting point, use a backpack to carry it, but in my luggage is a shoulder bag that can hold 1 body with lens mounted comfortably, one additional prime lens, plus batteries, memory cards and a polarizing filter.

When out and about, I take 2 bodies and 2 lenses. (my lenses for the day) the rest stays behind in a safe location. If no safe location exists I backpack the entire kit.

the logic behind the smaller bag, is that with 2 bodies (K5 and K7 at present) I simply change cameras, and always have one in hand so the other is in the bag. The bag only need hold what I am not using at the time.

I have done the back pack only thing before also, and Alternitively, the small bag I use can hold 3-4 short M42/K mount Primes, and I have been known to simply pack one body and either a k mount kit going from 8-135 mm or M42 kit going from 16mm up.
05-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

But your situation is different, you have a fixed base, and this gives you the opportunity to leave some of your gear behind and take a reduced kit for what I would call day use.

When I travel on vacation, where there is no wild life involved, I take typically 2 bodies 4-5 lenses, and to get to the starting point, use a backpack to carry it, but in my luggage is a shoulder bag that can hold 1 body with lens mounted comfortably, one additional prime lens, plus batteries, memory cards and a polarizing filter.

When out and about, I take 2 bodies and 2 lenses. (my lenses for the day) the rest stays behind in a safe location. If no safe location exists I backpack the entire kit.

the logic behind the smaller bag, is that with 2 bodies (K5 and K7 at present) I simply change cameras, and always have one in hand so the other is in the bag. The bag only need hold what I am not using at the time.

I have done the back pack only thing before also, and Alternatively, the small bag I use can hold 3-4 short M42/K mount Primes, and I have been known to simply pack one body and either a k mount kit going from 8-135 mm or M42 kit going from 16mm up.

I pack a big crumpler now, but take less than I have in the past. likely kit this year is DA14, m28, m50, m100, k135, m200 K7 and a film body TBD. it may change up if i buy anything (maybe a 35 2.4 and 50 1.8 for AF)

My small bag is actually my normal day bag, it's a cheap grey canvas messenger bag I bought at top shop last time i was in London, i strip a bunch of bits from the crumpler and it forms a liner that holds 2 bodies w lenses and 2-3 spare lenses - very stealth plus i can squeeze in my ebook and glasses etc

05-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I pack a big crumpler now, but take less than I have in the past. likely kit this year is DA14, m28, m50, m100, k135, m200 K7 and a film body TBD. it may change up if i buy anything (maybe a 35 2.4 and 50 1.8 for AF)

My small bag is actually my normal day bag, it's a cheap grey canvas messenger bag I bought at top shop last time i was in London, i strip a bunch of bits from the crumpler and it forms a liner that holds 2 bodies w lenses and 2-3 spare lenses - very stealth plus i can squeeze in my ebook and glasses etc
Similar approach to me, except your day bag sounds a little bigger. I presently use a Fossil shoulder bag that measures about 10" by 10" by 3 inches, which has internal pockets for cell phone and Ipod and an internal zippered passport/document pocket, plus 2 external zippered pockets for travel book/maps and other stuff. I use soft crumple bags for loose lenses. It is quite stealthy because so many Europeans have some form of shoulder bag it disappears.

I have a larger Think Tank photo bag that sounds similar in size to your day bag.

The thing i like about both these bags is they have very wide shoulder straps that distribute the load quite well. The think tank bag would hold an ipad but I really don;t like carrying something that big around, an ipod is usually good enough.
05-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Similar approach to me, except your day bag sounds a little bigger. I presently use a Fossil shoulder bag that measures about 10" by 10" by 3 inches, which has internal pockets for cell phone and Ipod and an internal zippered passport/document pocket, plus 2 external zippered pockets for travel book/maps and other stuff. I use soft crumple bags for loose lenses. It is quite stealthy because so many Europeans have some form of shoulder bag it disappears.

I have a larger Think Tank photo bag that sounds similar in size to your day bag.

The thing i like about both these bags is they have very wide shoulder straps that distribute the load quite well. The think tank bag would hold an ipad but I really don;t like carrying something that big around, an ipod is usually good enough.
Oh I won't be carrying an Ipad (I have a Kobo reader much smaller) My wife will have an Ipad in her bag for the tourist guides and maps etc)

the canvas bag looks like the cheap ones you see hanging out front of the army navy stores in Kensington Market, really not that big. I have several other bags but they all scream CAMERA

Once I'm in London I will likely just sling the camera with the 28 over my shoulder and maybe the fast 50 in my wife's bag or a jacket pocket. that will cover almost every thing. If I opt for M42 i'll carry 20/35/50/135 for the trip and leave the Da home (my walkabout right now is 20/35/50 and is quite light with no grip
05-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Even more to think about. It's funny, when I backpacked years ago, I took my K1000 and my A 50mm F2.0. Now, I have tons of lenses and I I'm not sure that I have the right one. If it's not too much trouble, your opinions are greatly appreciated.

My 18-250 is pretty good. I've had some good success with it and may have gotten a good one.

Sigma 24-60mm F2.8

Last edited by john5100; 05-31-2012 at 10:57 AM.
06-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery
Was in Italy for 3 weeks last year, mainly Rome but was able to visit Venice and Cinque Terre. 16-50 stayed on my k20 most of the time with 43 in tucked in my bag, forced myself to use the 77 one day in Venice. 12-24 would be perfect, and 35 or 50 in your pocket would be a nice light kit.

Just my thoughts....
09-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well had a great time in Italy. Took my KX with my DA 18-250mm, my DA 12-24mm, and Sony HX30V P&S. The little Sony got a lot of work because it was so darn convenient.

Pentax KX

Sony HX30V

09-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #28
Inactive Account

I've got the Sigma 24-60 2.8 ex as well and its a great lens IMO. Very sharp for a zoom lens, one of the sharpest in that range. It's also light weight. I use it often as a walk around in a new area just because of its versatility and close focus ability to take macro shots. When I don't want to carry all my primes and I am stepping into new territory, its probably the first thing I grab.

Your pics are great! Really brings back some memories.

I think the 2nd to the last may be overprocessed for my taste. Its a lovely photo but the realism is stripped away with the saturation boost.