Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the Da 16-45 out of production?

My Norwegian supplayer says so, and the Norwegian "Pentax.no" soes not have it in their catalogue.

So, have Pentax stopped making this simple, but very capable zoom?

05-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's an old lens introduced with the *ist D and was Pentax's first DA lens. Despite the constant f/4 aperture, this was a lens that was intended to supplement longer film lenses (such as the FA J 28-80mm lens) that were commonplace at the time with a wide-angle zoom range. Potential issues with this lens include relatively short zoom range (up to 45mm, despite going to 16mm wide) and reverse zooming (lens longest at minimum focal length) la Canon EF 24-70mm which can cause flash shadowing at 28mm and wider.

An alternative to this lens is the DA 17-70mm lens. Though only 17mm wide, the optical performance of this lens is very good and it has a constant f/4 aperture. However, the SDM may pose some concerns with AF motor failure.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 05-25-2012 at 05:46 PM.
05-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes it has already been discontinued. The optics is pretty good but the build quality is just average.
DragonLord, not sure where you got your facts but the DA 16-45mm certainly did not fall out of favor due to the DA 18-55mm. The ubiquitous DA 18-55mm has always been a starter lens bundled with each camera body. Optically speaking, the DA 16-45mm is quite a lot wider and sharper than the DA 18-55mm and it is a constant aperture zoom. As to the DA 17-70mm, it has a more useful zoom range compared to the DA 16-45mm. I've had mine for some time and haven't had any issue with the SDM.
05-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
What on earth is SDM?

05-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
DragonLord, not sure where you got your facts but the DA 16-45mm certainly did not fall out of favor due to the DA 18-55mm.
Okay, this statement was speculation and has been removed.

--DragonLord
05-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Runegutt123 Quote
What on earth is SDM?
SDM is an ultrasonic motor found in some high-end Pentax lenses. It is a micro-type ultrasonic motor, unlike the faster and quieter ring-type motors used in high-end Canon, Nikon and other lenses. Although almost completely silent when functioning properly, the Pentax implementation has a reputation for being unreliable, often failing within one to three years of use. SDM failure usually manifests itself as slow or unresponsive autofocus; the lens eventually stops autofocusing altogether.

--DragonLord
05-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Runegutt123 Quote
My Norwegian supplayer says so, and the Norwegian "Pentax.no" soes not have it in their catalogue.

So, have Pentax stopped making this simple, but very capable zoom?
My brother got that lens (I got it for him somehow really cheap) and I bet he would highly recommend it. It's probably his most used lens by far.
Btw, so you're from the northern Norway. I would love to travel to the northern part as all the pics taken there looks stunning!
05-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter

The lens is still listed as available from B&H new.

05-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Too bad. Great lens. My first digital. For W/A I mostly use my 12-24 or 10-17 FE @ 17. I use my 16-45 on my Km as my carry around camera.
05-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Used the 16-45 for a few trips, really love its optical quality and the photos it produced. But don't like its built quality much, and don't like that it extends out at 16mm end (which I used the most) while retracts in at 45mm end. I don't mind keeping it if it's the other way around...
05-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Potential issues with this lens include . . . reverse zooming (lens longest at minimum focal length) la Canon EF 24-70mm which can cause flash shadowing at 28mm and wider.
That arrangement has one big advantage, which is implemented on the Canon 24-70/2.8 L:
You have a fixed hood, which works effectively at all focal lengths.
The hood is deep at the tele setting, and shallow at the wide setting.
For me, that advantage trumps any problems with on-camera flash.
Unfortunately, Pentax did not choose to make that kind of hood for the DA 16-45/4.
05-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That arrangement has one big advantage, which is implemented on the Canon 24-70/2.8 L:
You have a fixed hood, which works effectively at all focal lengths.
The hood is deep at the tele setting, and shallow at the wide setting.
For me, that advantage trumps any problems with on-camera flash.
Unfortunately, Pentax did not choose to make that kind of hood for the DA 16-45/4.
Okay, found this on Wikipedia:

QuoteQuote:
An unusual aspect of the 24-70mm f/2.8L (and 28-70mm f/2.8L) is that its barrel extends as it zooms toward its shortest focal length. When used with the supplied lens hood, which attaches to a non-moving part of the lens, this extension results in a properly matched shade at every angle of view. Most zoom lens hoods are designed for only the widest angle of view, offering progressively inadequate shade at longer focal lengths.
Why did Pentax not do that? Is there a patent protecting this design?

--DragonLord
05-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #13
Forum Member

Pentax DA16-45 is listed among all other lenses for purchase. Where does it say it has been discontinued? PENTAX - smc PENTAX DA 16-45mm F4.0 ED AL

05-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #14

Original Poster
Here is the list of current Pentax lenses from Pentax Norway
System KB - PENTAX Photo

And here it is for discontinued lenses
System KB - PENTAX Photo

Hopefully, its just in Norway we will have trouble getting these lenses.
05-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #15
Banned

I used to have this lens,but passes it along to a friends in a type of barter. I wish that i would have held onto it though. I believe this is the scond least expensive Pentax lens that I've owbed in a while; outside of the Pentax K-01's kit XS lens.

I encountered only two issues in over three years of use with the lens. It does have a rather large front filter. Some would consider this a drawback - I consider it a plus and don't mind the size and the weight. of the lens. And it may just be me; but the lens makes more than a bit of noise at times, oh well.

Optically it is a Pentax lens, but I'd rate it as only slightly above average in optical ability; it just depends on what types of photographs one takes. The constant aperture is quite useful. Again, I encountered no real issues in about three years of professional use.

I also never noticed an issues with SDM. If i would have I simply would have switched over to manual focusing. Also one minor item missing; an aperature ring.

Outside of the SDM issues noted above; if I needed a lens at that range - focal length, aperature, price, etc... I'd still consider spending four hundred.